6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DPF Cleaning every 50 to 60 miles??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:07 AM
abubba1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abnrngr1986
what sensor? was it the MAF
They changed out 7C3Z-12B579-A (AFLS-179 Motorcraft Mass Flow Sensor Assembly).

Old 09-12-2014, 09:21 AM
abubba1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
Regens in a 6.4 unloaded normally should be somewhere around 200 all the way up to over 500 miles. Ford does not say exactly what is normal.

Load and towing changes a lot so you can't base it off of towing. Typically with my 5th wheel it was around 90-120 miles apart.
Senix, with your new truck what are you seeing now performance wise with the 6.7 after pulling your fifth wheel for some time? I'm trying to decide whether to hang on to this '08 or trade for a '15. My ESP runs out in December because of time not miles. If I do keep the '08 I need to do a DPF and EGR delete if I can still get a tuner to delete those functions. I do not live in an area in TN that requires emission testing.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:47 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
If you keep the 08 they I would do the deletes. H & S seem to be the best for that right now or Spartan.

I had to do it over again I would still have done it (get my 6.7). I needed the DRW.

It has been great thus far.

The exhaust braking is less than desirable but with the '15 models they fixed that. They also added a larger turbo.

The turbo is the only other real issue with mine. It gets out of breath in the Rockies. So they fixed that now too.

the regens are fewer now as well.

My last trip out west and back so no regens or if there was I missed them and I am really good about catching those things.

So it passively regens so much better.

I do miss the get up and go of the 6.4 though. I just needed the DRW.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:37 PM
abnrngr1986
Freshman User
Senix or anyone, are the dpf sensors all the same at the three locations? Also doesn't it sound strange that the MAF would cause excessive regens? I would think it's more likely the dpf sensors? I'm trying to refresh my memory with all of this for when i get to the dealer.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:10 PM
abubba1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by abnrngr1986
Senix or anyone, are the dpf sensors all the same at the three locations? Also doesn't it sound strange that the MAF would cause excessive regens? I would think it's more likely the dpf sensors? I'm trying to refresh my memory with all of this for when i get to the dealer.
I asked my Tech the same question when he told me he changed out the MAF. He told me that the computer looks at all parameters of the engine while running. Any air that goes in the engine has to come out. If the MAF is giving a erroneous air flow reading on the front end the computer may think there is a problem on the exhaust end. Not knowing anymore than I do about how all these sensors tie together he may be right. But the Tech not 100% sure either, that's why he's letting me drive for awhile to see if the problem corrects. So far I haven't had a regen now for 130 miles.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:13 PM
abnrngr1986
Freshman User
Originally Posted by abubba1
I asked my Tech the same question when he told me he changed out the MAF. He told me that the computer looks at all parameters of the engine while running. Any air that goes in the engine has to come out. If the MAF is giving a erroneous air flow reading on the front end the computer may think there is a problem on the exhaust end. Not knowing anymore than I do about how all these sensors tie together he may be right. But the Tech not 100% sure either, that's why he's letting me drive for awhile to see if the problem corrects. So far I haven't had a regen now for 130 miles.
i hope mine is that easy. With no codes or anything a lot of dealers won't change a thing. I bought it in houston and called the dealer for an appt, he said no problem in 5 weeks. Yes 5 weeks. I've got an appt on wed to get it looked at here in Lafayette,La.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:46 AM
muntu
New User
abbuba1....so was the pcm ever reflashed after that 2011 tsb alert?...how is it you can see a cleaning filter alert when after the tsb reflash ford took all [hid] all screen filter cleaning notices away...only notice I'd get was "drive to clean" only if dpf cleaning had been interrupted.....not saying you are not having sensor probs. but these trucks are getting older and I wonder if techs are still plugging in pcm like they used to first thing of a dealer visit...I mean there have not been any reflashes in a coons age so why would they.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:13 AM
abnrngr1986
Freshman User
mine has the latest flash that the message only comes on for a few seconds. But it also will show steady usually on the second regen of a trip, especially if i'm towing. These are uninterrupted regens im talking about.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 PM
acstokes
New User
My '09 stock 6.4 displays the regen message the whole time it's regening which is for about 10-15 minutes every ~300-500 miles. I assume I must not have the latest flash. Should I have it flashed or leave well enough alone?

Fred

Old 09-23-2014, 04:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by acstokes
My '09 stock 6.4 displays the regen message the whole time it's regening which is for about 10-15 minutes every ~300-500 miles. I assume I must not have the latest flash. Should I have it flashed or leave well enough alone?

Fred

Yeah you have an older flash. Leave it alone.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:37 PM
abubba1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by muntu
abbuba1....so was the pcm ever reflashed after that 2011 tsb alert?...how is it you can see a cleaning filter alert when after the tsb reflash ford took all [hid] all screen filter cleaning notices away...only notice I'd get was "drive to clean" only if dpf cleaning had been interrupted.....not saying you are not having sensor probs. but these trucks are getting older and I wonder if techs are still plugging in pcm like they used to first thing of a dealer visit...I mean there have not been any reflashes in a coons age so why would they.
Supposedly all my "flashes" are up to date. The dealership tech just updated the truck computer back in the spring with a new flash of some kind when my truck was in for service. After this recent flash is when my problems started and the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" would come on and stay on until complete. The first time it came on it acted like it did before and went away after a few seconds. The second time and there after the prompt stayed on until the filter cleaning was complete. That's all I know.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:03 PM
abubba1
Freshman User
Regen Update:

Just got back off a short RV trip with the new Mass Flow Sensor in place. I pulled my 13K fiver up and over the hills of TN finally landing on top of Lookout Mountain in Alabama. Total miles pulling was 200 miles round trip. In between pulls we drove approximately another 200 miles sight seeing. So far I have not seen a "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" prompt or heard the change in exhaust note that normally happens during regen. Took the truck back yesterday to pay up for the Mass Flow Sensor and expressed my concern about not having a regen in almost 400 miles. The Tech hooked up the computer and checked the system out and said all reading where normal and the DPF only indicated "partially plugged", not ready for a regen. I guess with all the regens I had before they changed the Mass Flow Sensor must of had my filter pretty clean. The truck is parked now and won't be used until next month on my next RV trip to the North Georgia Blue Ridge Mountains apple festival. I will update then and let you know if the truck DPF plugs up, and leaves me sitting, or the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" kicks in like it should.

One more thing, my fuel mileage average increased by 1 solid mile per gallon while towing my fiver and the truck seemed to have more power than before. Prior to the Mass Flow Sensor change I was getting about 8.5 (before the frequent regens started) average fuel mileage pulling my 13K trailer around these TN hills. This trip I averaged 9.5 while towing the same terrain. But, I didn't have a regen either.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:23 PM
abnrngr1986
Freshman User
Originally Posted by abubba1
Just got back off a short RV trip with the new Mass Flow Sensor in place. I pulled my 13K fiver up and over the hills of TN finally landing on top of Lookout Mountain in Alabama. Total miles pulling was 200 miles round trip. In between pulls we drove approximately another 200 miles sight seeing. So far I have not seen a "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" prompt or heard the change in exhaust note that normally happens during regen. Took the truck back yesterday to pay up for the Mass Flow Sensor and expressed my concern about not having a regen in almost 400 miles. The Tech hooked up the computer and checked the system out and said all reading where normal and the DPF only indicated "partially plugged", not ready for a regen. I guess with all the regens I had before they changed the Mass Flow Sensor must of had my filter pretty clean. The truck is parked now and won't be used until next month on my next RV trip to the North Georgia Blue Ridge Mountains apple festival. I will update then and let you know if the truck DPF plugs up, and leaves me sitting, or the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" kicks in like it should.

One more thing, my fuel mileage average increased by 1 solid mile per gallon while towing my fiver and the truck seemed to have more power than before. Prior to the Mass Flow Sensor change I was getting about 8.5 (before the frequent regens started) average fuel mileage pulling my 13K trailer around these TN hills. This trip I averaged 9.5 while towing the same terrain. But, I didn't have a regen either.
Wow, i never can understand how some of these trucks can go that far while towing without a regen. Your run was also verified by the dealer. My camper is a little heavier loaded( 17-18k) but i can't understand why my truck always until this latest trip regened at 55-60 miles. Sounds like your old MAF sensor was acting up without codes.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
My truck always regened 90-120 miles when towing but I was ok with that.

Shortest regen was 4 miles.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:29 AM
abubba1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
My truck always regened 90-120 miles when towing but I was ok with that.

Shortest regen was 4 miles.
Senix, I've never had one that lasted less than 15 miles. If the truck was doing "passive regen's" (not sure what you call it) and not a full blown exhaust filter cleaning would I know? It does seem odd that I went so long without a cleaning. I don't think it went that long when the truck was brand spanking new.

Quick Reply: DPF Cleaning every 50 to 60 miles??