1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

my truck ate a wrench...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:23 AM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my truck ate a wrench...

I was fixing my leak on the passenger side fuel fitting right by the down pipe. Any ways I dropped a cut down 5/8 wrench and I can't find it for the life of me, any recommendations or ideas of how to find; another place to look; or drive it and pray it falls to road?

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:43 AM
bryanlindborg600
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id run it for a few minutes and keep an eye on the tail pipe...it may pass it sooner then later....

in all seriousness if you really cant find it now and do just drive it it doesn't sound like its in a area that would cause a problem if it moved around... i'm sure you'll eventually find it though!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:53 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I probably dropped into the intake valley, I found all kinds of neat stuff in there, do you have one of those magnets on a slinky? Or one on an old radio antennae, they work great, as a professional mechanic when ever I drop a tool I stop everything right then and there and find the tool, A cause they are very expensive, B they can cause problems if they get in around moving parts, C if it falls out while driving Noah's law it will be in your tire or thru the windshield of the car behind you. Poke around and get your wrench back, when did they convert to standard from metric on the powerstroke?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
+1 magnet-on-a-stick. Either that or turn the truck over and shake it a couple times 'til it falls out.... .

Why do people always refer to "standard or metric", when metric IS a standard, and has been one for a long time? The inch-fractional measurement system is called SAE, and nowadays, there are a LOT more metric fasteners on vehicles than SAE, so referring to SAE as "standard" is like referring to leaded gasoline as "regular". In any event, the fastener the OP was working on might well have been a 16mm, and a 5/8" wrench might have been the handy one (or the one cut down, in this case).

Our trucks are a complete hodge-podge. US-designed frame/cab/bed/mechanicals with a mix of metric and SAE, engine made by "International" in the US, tranny made in the US by a German company, all metric AFAIK. Dunno about the solids, but the steering toe adjustment on the TTB is SAE thread on one side, metric thread on the other . I don't even mull over it anymore, I just grab both sets of wrenches (or a combined set) when I start on something.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:01 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
I done buy SAE tools any more I stopped 10 years ago every socket, wrench is metric, ya i know a 13mm is close to the 1/2, 16mm around 5/8th's. But when you have over 100 grand in tools ya have to cut corners when ya can, now I just buy the specialty tools

Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by David7.3
I probably dropped into the intake valley, I found all kinds of neat stuff in there, do you have one of those magnets on a slinky? Or one on an old radio antennae, they work great, as a professional mechanic when ever I drop a tool I stop everything right then and there and find the tool, A cause they are very expensive, B they can cause problems if they get in around moving parts, C if it falls out while driving Noah's law it will be in your tire or thru the windshield of the car behind you. Poke around and get your wrench back, when did they convert to standard from metric on the powerstroke?
I love the antenna idea, problem with my magnet it just wants to stick to everything else.

By intake valley, do you mean the valley of the engine?

I have my spider pipe off and converted to e fuel so my valley is pretty clean.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:09 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Use one of those magnets that have a shield around the outside of the magnet. It doesn't stick to every thing. Run it around in all the spots where you can't see and where your hand is to big.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Give it the heimlech maneuver. Just duck when it goes flying lol

Old 09-06-2014, 06:04 PM
terryknight
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dropped a bellhousing bolt once never did find it. i believe it went between the heat shield (above the trans) and below the floor board. it'll be there forever

Old 09-08-2014, 09:25 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I bet the wrench is sitting in one of the grooves on the top of the bell housing, down between the back of the engine and the firewall. That or on top of the engine crossmember. I've lost sockets in both those locations before and it drove me nuts until I found them.

Magnet on a stick for the win. If nothing else, I guess you just admit defeat and call it a day. Unless you had something else opened up, there is really nowhere that it could have gone that it will hurt something. Still sucks losing your fancy custom wrench...

Old 09-08-2014, 10:26 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
^^^^^ If it's on the trans, magnet on a stick won't stick to the case, of course.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:40 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I bet the wrench is sitting in one of the grooves on the top of the bell housing, down between the back of the engine and the firewall. That or on top of the engine crossmember. I've lost sockets in both those locations before and it drove me nuts until I found them.

Magnet on a stick for the win. If nothing else, I guess you just admit defeat and call it a day. Unless you had something else opened up, there is really nowhere that it could have gone that it will hurt something. Still sucks losing your fancy custom wrench...
Reading this makes me feel better, really knowing it could not of fallen in a place to wear it can damage something other than my mind.

I did drive the truck, listened hard and heard nothing.

But it was great to drive the truck for the first time in 2 months. Grin from ear to ear.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:15 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I lost an allen wrench doing injectors on mine 4-5 years ago. Never did find it. I'm guessing its inside the motor laying there relaxing but it drove me nuts thinking about it and searching for it until I fired it up and all was good.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:29 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
One of those black capped nuts for the Darth Vader cover has been lurking around the inner fender of our blue RCLB truck somewhere for 3-4 years now. Never did turn it up. I hope to pick it up one day with the anti-gravity field generator (small area) I've been working on. If this works, I can send it around to other members to find all their lost fasteners / tools; shouldn't cost anything to mail, since it won't weigh anything.....

Old 09-08-2014, 06:36 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
One of those black capped nuts for the Darth Vader cover has been lurking around the inner fender of our blue RCLB truck somewhere for 3-4 years now. Never did turn it up. I hope to pick it up one day with the anti-gravity field generator (small area) I've been working on. If this works, I can send it around to other members to find all their lost fasteners / tools; shouldn't cost anything to mail, since it won't weigh anything.....
LOL! Sounds good madpogue!

Before labor day weekend I saw one of those rubber pieces that sit in the middle of the fender that the hood sits down on, well probably doesn't sit on it, but I suppose it protects the hood from being dented in the middle pushing down on it. WHATEVER its called, I forgot about it until I got home and it was still sitting on the inner fender. Kind of amazed it didn't fall out after a 350mile round trip.

Quick Reply: my truck ate a wrench...