Sponsored by: Moser

Oil Change Interval

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:40 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailjohn
It's pretty much a persons preference . I've used AMSOIL for last 18yrs with no problems, changed @ 10k-15k miles., just depends on my mood.

I don't see the purpose of running synblend, just run full synthetic ! My new 15 came with synblend motorcraft first change will go full synthetic ....

That's my point, if you are going to spend the extra coin on full syn get 10K out of it. If you dump at 5K use syn blend. That's just my .02

Old 09-07-2014, 08:13 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailjohn
It's pretty much a persons preference . I've used AMSOIL for last 18yrs with no problems, changed @ 10k-15k miles., just depends on my mood.

I don't see the purpose of running synblend, just run full synthetic ! My new 15 came with synblend motorcraft first change will go full synthetic ....

I pay $1.99 per quart on sale for syn blend.

even changing 3 times more often, that is at least $2/qt cheaper than your amsoil over the same 15,000 miles (if you are using their XL) and more than likely it is closer to $4/qt cheaper (for the signature series).

i also buy a motorcraft filter for about $4. which changing it 3 times is still at least $4 cheaper than an amsoil filter.

don't get me wrong, i think AMSOIL is great stuff, but even extending your OCI's out 3 times as long it isn't cheaper.

for me, that's the point.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:39 AM
royb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Truckpilot1329
We've had threads discussing how many miles to go on an oil change.
Opinions ranged from using the Ford on board system, which can let you go
10,000 miles, to "Ma pappy done said ya gotta git that ol' all outta thar every 3000 miles." Needless to say, we didn't reach a consensus.

So here's a different question:
3 owners, Art, Bob, and Charlie each believe in 5000 miles between changes.

Art drives 10,000 miles a year and changes it twice a year. No problem. Right?

Bob drives 5000 miles a year and changes it once a year.

Charlie is gone from home most of the time and only drives his vehicle to the airport, then back a couple weeks later. He does this once a month and it's 100 miles each way. Otherwise the vehicle sits.

So he drives 5000 miles in 2 years. Any problems there?

Charlie should sell his car and just take the metro to the airport.

Art should run Bob's errands for him and bob should sell his car and get a bicycle.

Art should change his name to "Charlie Bob" just to confuse his friends and be allowed to change his oil or not change his oil any way he pleases.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:11 AM
meborder
Originally Posted by royb
Charlie should sell his car and just take the metro to the airport.

Art should run Bob's errands for him and bob should sell his car and get a bicycle.

Art should change his name to "Charlie Bob" just to confuse his friends and be allowed to change his oil or not change his oil any way he pleases.
point made, but assuming they all have the common interest in not doing any harm to their vehicle, it seems like a valid question.

there are some concerns about filters breaking down over time, so the oil change every other year could be a concern, IDK.

FWIW, i've got a super tech (walmart - cheapest of the cheap) that was in service for 3 years. i'm going to cut it open and see what it looks like.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:20 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by meborder
point made, but assuming they all have the common interest in not doing any harm to their vehicle, it seems like a valid question.

there are some concerns about filters breaking down over time, so the oil change every other year could be a concern, IDK.

FWIW, i've got a super tech (walmart - cheapest of the cheap) that was in service for 3 years. i'm going to cut it open and see what it looks like.
Be sure to post the findings, kinda curious. I personally have used Motorcraft filters regardless on my Ford vehicles, they're usually one of the cheaper routes for me and that is purchasing from the dealership. I have looked at a comparison of Motorcraft vs Aftermarket filters, it kinda justified in my mind the Motorcraft filters.
My Dad has several old work trucks that get the cheapest available filter from Napa or Carquest auto parts stores, he's never had any issues with his vehicles, engine wise at least.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:27 PM
meborder
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
Be sure to post the findings, kinda curious. I personally have used Motorcraft filters regardless on my Ford vehicles, they're usually one of the cheaper routes for me and that is purchasing from the dealership. I have looked at a comparison of Motorcraft vs Aftermarket filters, it kinda justified in my mind the Motorcraft filters.
My Dad has several old work trucks that get the cheapest available filter from Napa or Carquest auto parts stores, he's never had any issues with his vehicles, engine wise at least.
posted my findings on BOITG

old supertech cutaway | Oil Filters | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Not bad looking at all for 3 years old....surprised at how well it looks to be made, it has a metal tension clip instead of spring, and looked to have a metal center tube, kinda hard to see. What's your rough guess on the number of pleats?
Honestly, I run the motorcraft in case there ever is a problem, Ford can't say I ran an inferior filter. Besides, the Motorcraft are actually just as cheap around here.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:25 PM
meborder
the center tube is actually plastic, which seems to be one of the major concerns with this type of filter. personally, i think the design is relatively robust, albeit simplistic. i'm not a fan of that style of spring, but it is fairly common in the filter world. the biggest drawback to the ecore filters is the rubber anti-drainback valve and the end caps. silicone seems to be the minimum in order to insure a good seal. the end caps are a heavy fiber type cloth. i'm not sure how much strength is really needed to hold the pleats together at the ends, but metal end caps seems to be the design you really want.... but at least it's not cardboard

i didn't count the pleats, but unless you had another filter for the same vehicle by which to compare, it wouldn't mean much. keep in mind this is for a chebby, so it wouldn't correlate to anything ford uses.

my fords get motorcraft. i've used napa gold in a pinch, but it feels a little like cheating on your wife. the napa gold is a good filter, though ....

Old 09-07-2014, 09:56 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Yes sir, looking at the "premium" vs run of the mill filters, the better filters seem to have metal end caps and silicone seal, and a pressure relief or bypass valve at the inlet.

Like I stated earlier, my Dad uses Napa, or whatever Carquest brand is (according to where he wants to drink coffee that day!) He refuses to go into the newer (to him) chain stores like AutoZone, O'Reillys, Advanced, etc... Old School! Anyway, he has never had any issues, and the trucks have a hard life, usually on the farm or logging. He changes his oil @ 3K religiously though, and uses Conventional (Rotella for the diesels / Castrol for the gassers).

Thanks for the info Mike!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:18 AM
David W Jones
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Mobil 1 and a Purolator filter.
First change was at 5000 miles.
Then at 15K, 25K, 35K, when I reach 45K and every additional 10,000 miles after that.
Ford says that's what's needed and I'm good with that.
2012 5.0 (new late December 2012) that currently has 42,000 miles.

Heck, it takes 10,000 miles to clean up the mess made by Ford's "Better Idea" oil filter location and the useless drain system under it.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 AM
bunky383
Senior User
while oils and engines are always getting better, engines are getting smaller with more power output, and tighter clearances, putting a more demand on oil to perform. This isn't exactly breaking news. However I heard a part salesman talk about the lengthening of OCI's a result of the manufacturers primary reason is to reduce maintenance costs to fleet users who look on paper about how much $$ they have to put into a vehicle before they get rid of it. If vehicle A requires X amount of services over it's lifespan with the company compared to vehicle B, it looks more attractive.

Not to mention, nowadays it's not uncommon to receive free oil changes for life, or however long. If the vehicle only needs to be serviced every 10K, let's say, their input costs are half as much as if they are only required to if it was 5K.

I stick with around 3K if doing short trips and use synthetic. If I'm doing a fair amount of highway driving, I might push it to 4K. Compared to oil and filters, engines aren't cheap.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:02 AM
meborder
Originally Posted by bunky383
while oils and engines are always getting better, engines are getting smaller with more power output, and tighter clearances, putting a more demand on oil to perform. This isn't exactly breaking news. However I heard a part salesman talk about the lengthening of OCI's a result of the manufacturers primary reason is to reduce maintenance costs to fleet users who look on paper about how much $$ they have to put into a vehicle before they get rid of it. If vehicle A requires X amount of services over it's lifespan with the company compared to vehicle B, it looks more attractive.

Not to mention, nowadays it's not uncommon to receive free oil changes for life, or however long. If the vehicle only needs to be serviced every 10K, let's say, their input costs are half as much as if they are only required to if it was 5K.

I stick with around 3K if doing short trips and use synthetic. If I'm doing a fair amount of highway driving, I might push it to 4K. Compared to oil and filters, engines aren't cheap.
nothing really wrong with that, but that is a VERY conservative approach.

you are wasting a lot of good oil and money by changing a synthetic every 3k. your engine may last for ever, true, but it might have lasted forever for half as much money.

if you are going to dump your oil every 3k, there is no need for a synthetic. any oil on the market can go 3k under any reasonable use in a modern car.

it's all about comfort level. Ive been doing 5k changes on synthetic blend for decades, so that's my comfort level. on a vehicle that does nothing but haul heavy loads, i've been doing 3k on syn-blend (which also turns out to be 1/year) .. that's my comfort level.

a used oil analysis can help with comfort level as well. doing a couple here and there to verify your level of service can make some sense.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Flea
Elder User
Where do you get your Synblend at and what brand? That's cheap. Ford's stuff is $4/qt.

I pay $1.99 per quart on sale for syn blend.

even changing 3 times more often, that is at least $2/qt cheaper than your amsoil over the same 15,000 miles (if you are using their XL) and more than likely it is closer to $4/qt cheaper (for the signature series).

i also buy a motorcraft filter for about $4. which changing it 3 times is still at least $4 cheaper than an amsoil filter.

don't get me wrong, i think AMSOIL is great stuff, but even extending your OCI's out 3 times as long it isn't cheaper.

for me, that's the point.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:50 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Ford's Hero engine had 10,000 oil change intervals. After 160,000 miles the engine components were still in factory spec and could have gone another 150,000. If it's good enough for the hero engine it's good enough for mine.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:56 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Almost that is. I generally change it when there is 20% life left.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Interval