1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where is this clunk coming from?!? 2004 f350

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:26 PM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where is this clunk coming from?!? 2004 f350

I just bought a 2004 f350 4x4. There is a horrendous clunk coming from under the cab as soon as I steer and at certain rpm while driving straight. I have researched this topic for hours and everyone says sway bar links. Well heres what I have done so far and the truck still has the same terrible clunk. New sway bar links, new sway bar bushings on axle, new front drivers hub, new front passenger hub needle bearing, both front dust seals on axle, greased all ujoints and balljoints, tightened up some bolts for the dual steering stabilizer, and shook the heck out of all other ujoints and the cab mounts and they all seem good. Anyone have any ideas? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks guys,
thebluemule

Old 09-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Pit Crew
Senior User
No. Guess for ya except maybe the big nut that holds the steering wheel....lol jk.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Slip joint?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:15 PM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
Slip joint?
That's what I will be greasing in a few moments. However I don't know why the slip joint would clunk when I turn the wheel slightly as I drive

Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
How many miles on the truck? Have you checked the track bar? I would jack the front of the truck up and set it on jackstands under the frame on each side, and get the weight off of the front axle/wheels. Then you can shake and tug (within reason, of course- don't want to pull it off of the stands) without load on the components. My bet is it's the track bar bushing on one end or the other.
It's probably not driveline related, unless you drive with the hubs lock in all the time.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:45 PM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Originally Posted by hodge5
How many miles on the truck? Have you checked the track bar? I would jack the front of the truck up and set it on jackstands under the frame on each side, and get the weight off of the front axle/wheels. Then you can shake and tug (within reason, of course- don't want to pull it off of the stands) without load on the components. My bet is it's the track bar bushing on one end or the other.
It's probably not driveline related, unless you drive with the hubs lock in all the time.
Truck has 85,000 miles. I really don't think it is driveline related but I just wanted to check it all I guess lol. I will check the track bar after I grease the slip yoke.

Thanks
Thebluemule

Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 PM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Well I greased the slip joint but didnt get to check the track bar yet. I have come to the conclusion that I must have been dealing with a few different clunks. The slip joint was bone dry. So I greased it and took it for a test drive. There was still an obvious clunking/grinding but now only when turning. So the slip joint was part of the
Problem but the worse sounding one is still there. Now as I am driving down the road (no matter what speed) and I turn the wheel to the left, the terrible clunking/ grinding noise pops right up. If I turn the wheel to the right or drive straight it stops. I am wondering if the passenger side hub itself is bad now, as after I took it off to install the needle bearing I have an abs light on. I still havs to set it on jack stands and check the track bar and etc as well. Any new thoughts? It does feel like its coming more from the passenger side.

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:30 PM
lb27312
New User
I know you probably already checked this but when I drove my F350(same as yours) with the hubs locked but not in 4 wheel I always got this clunk when turning. The truck had manual locking hubs, when they where locked it did this but when they were in Free they didn't.

Good luck in finding what it is!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:47 PM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Originally Posted by lb27312
I know you probably already checked this but when I drove my F350(same as yours) with the hubs locked but not in 4 wheel I always got this clunk when turning. The truck had manual locking hubs, when they where locked it did this but when they were in Free they didn't.

Good luck in finding what it is!
Thanks for the reply!

I forgot to mention that this is with the hubs locked or unlocked. Thats what made me think the whole hub assembly might be bad and not just the needle bearing I replaced. Maybe? I am going to check all exhaust hangers and inner fenders again tomorrow along with jacking it up again and shaking everything. And anyhing else that anyone suggests

Old 09-02-2014, 05:48 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlueMule
Thanks for the reply!

I forgot to mention that this is with the hubs locked or unlocked. Thats what made me think the whole hub assembly might be bad and not just the needle bearing I replaced. Maybe? I am going to check all exhaust hangers and inner fenders again tomorrow along with jacking it up again and shaking everything. And anyhing else that anyone suggests
If I understand what you are working through and describing, the sound is when you steer the truck left or right, and the weight of the truck is shifted. It is a clunk and a grinding? A clunk is going to be a worn component, and grinding is going to be from some rotational force. I would get the weight off of the front end and check all the suspension components, and check the hub/unit bearings. Can you see any tire rubbing anywhere? If the suspension is worn and allowing things to shift, the tire could be rubbing. I think that would have stood out, though. The condition happening with hubs locked or unlocked is key- it isn't axle/driveshaft related.
Being leaf-sprung, it could also be worn spring eye bushings. I have an old 75 GMC (with 55,000+ original miles) that clunks like crazy. It needs all new bushings.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the same thing going on , did you figure out what your problem was?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:32 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
I have the same thing going on , did you figure out what your problem was?
Don't you just hate when this happens. Why can't people make the time to post the solution when they had enough time to ask the original question? Now 9 months later.

If I'm guessing, he indicated that he "lubed" his ball joints, not replaced them.

Jack each wheel off the ground and get a crowbar or wedge into the ball joint space. If you can lift and get space, chances are it's clunking as you turn.

Good luck.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
Don't you just hate when this happens. Why can't people make the time to post the solution when they had enough time to ask the original question? Now 9 months later.

If I'm guessing, he indicated that he "lubed" his ball joints, not replaced them.

Jack each wheel off the ground and get a crowbar or wedge into the ball joint space. If you can lift and get space, chances are it's clunking as you turn.

Good luck.

I do hate when we don't get a resolution, on mine it is speed related , even if I keep the steering wheel in the same spot as I am moving forward slowly it makes what sounds like a tire rubbing sound and even vibrates my mirrors. I checked tonight again and found a U-joint with some slop in it at the rear axle. My hanger bearing rubber is also very sloppy so I think I will go through the whole driveshaft with new joints and hanger bearing and see if that solves my issue...

Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 AM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
I do hate when we don't get a resolution, on mine it is speed related , even if I keep the steering wheel in the same spot as I am moving forward slowly it makes what sounds like a tire rubbing sound and even vibrates my mirrors. I checked tonight again and found a U-joint with some slop in it at the rear axle. My hanger bearing rubber is also very sloppy so I think I will go through the whole driveshaft with new joints and hanger bearing and see if that solves my issue...

I had searched for the problem for a while before I found it and had forgotten all about the post here. It was the down pipe hitting a bolt on the front springs on mine. I wasn't 100% sure that was it but I loosened the clamp on the downpipe, had a buddy hold it away from the bolt and I tightened it. Quiet now.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:46 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
not sure if anyone mentioned it but i had a bad clunking going back about 3 years and about 30k ago but it ended up being my sway bar end links the bushings were shot it drove me nuts for months until the mechanic randomly found it.

Quick Reply: where is this clunk coming from?!? 2004 f350