Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading all interior to LED and now no lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:00 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
upgrading all interior to LED and now no lights?

Anyone know which fuse make the lights and windows work? I was upgrading all the interior bulbs to LED (and did the rubber door seal mod at the same time and now my interior lights and windows don't work? door locks still function. Any ideas?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:10 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Originally Posted by icentropy
Anyone know which fuse make the lights and windows work? I was upgrading all the interior bulbs to LED (and did the rubber door seal mod at the same time and now my interior lights and windows don't work? door locks still function. Any ideas?
ok some reading on the forum lead to a bad #14 fuse. I wish the X had the fuses labeled on the fuse cover like other vehicles i've had. Sure makes it handy. Does anyone have a fuse chart they could upload so i can carry it in my glove box?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:29 PM
icentropy
Senior User
ok so i had no fuses handy and removed the heated mirror one (15A as well) to test it out. as soon as i went to plug it into the #14 socket it blew. So not going to do that again till i figure out what's going on (and go get some more fuses). Any ideas? the only thing we've done is replaced the majority of the interior lights with leds and the rubber seal mod which made the driver's side door pretty hard to close. Gotta slam it good now. Any ideas? maybe have a short somewhere? i can't think of a reason why the led bulbs would actually draw more power? would they do something if they were installed backwards? My wife actually replaced most of the bulbs herself so i haven't popped open the lenses to see what's what but i can't imagine it's even possible to install incorrectly enough to cause a short?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:35 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts
Something's probably shorted if it pops a new fuse that quickly. You'll have to go through, and check them out.

As far as a fuse layout, there are Excursion Owners Manuals available in PDF format for download at the top of the tech folder. There's a lot of useful information in them, including fuse layout.

Click here..

Old 08-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Does anyone have a fuse chart they could upload so i can carry it in my glove box?
In the tech folder, I have listed links to pdf versions of.....oh....never mind, William beat me to it......

Stewart

Old 08-30-2014, 02:54 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
In the tech folder, I have listed links to pdf versions of.....oh....never mind, William beat me to it......

Stewart
I DL'ed the 04 version from your link a while ago. It's really convenient to have on one's phone. Huge time saver.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Avitech
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have had the wires on the base of the bulb cross and cause the short. Just something to check for.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
ok so i had no fuses handy and removed the heated mirror one (15A as well) to test it out. as soon as i went to plug it into the #14 socket it blew. My wife actually replaced most of the bulbs herself so i haven't popped open the lenses to see what's what but i can't imagine it's even possible to install incorrectly enough to cause a short?
The 2 map lights between the seats are tricky, i did mine with led's and had to add extra led lights

Old 09-01-2014, 10:56 AM
icentropy
Senior User
I went to town and to the lone store open this weekend (yeah small town) and they were completely out of mini fuses....son'of'a.....

So ordered up a whole slew of them off of amazon to be delivered on Wednesday and put the project on hold till then. plan is as follows: remove all new led bulbs and install new fuse. if it pops then time to start taking apart the driver's side door. if it doesn't then should be as easy as reinstalling all the bulbs till i find the faulty short-circuiting culprit. Heck might even be able to tell upon removal if one is installed incorrectly. hopefully it's an easy fix. Looking forward to having them all installed and up and running. I got the whole kit from a fellow FTE member and he did a great job of including everything i needed for the whole truck including door and running board lights so it was a breeze. He also included a different type of light with sticky backed panels for the map and glovebox lights that should have much higher output. I am pretty certain my wife just got the wires crossed on one during install or something like that. I'll post pics and update soon as i get a chance to delve into it.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no electrician but if memory serves if you've switched everything out to LED there isn't enough resistance on the circuit and you need to use a resistor. There may be too much current which is causing the fuse to blow.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Avitech
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Technologiq
I'm no electrician but if memory serves if you've switched everything out to LED there isn't enough resistance on the circuit and you need to use a resistor. There may be too much current which is causing the fuse to blow.

I am an electrician. The resistor you are thinking of is to provide the correct load for the turn signal circuit to work a thermally operated flasher. Not for current flow.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:55 AM
icentropy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Avitech
I am an electrician. The resistor you are thinking of is to provide the correct load for the turn signal circuit to work a thermally operated flasher. Not for current flow.
Yeah that's what i thought. I swapped out lights for led on my Hummer and only had the issue with the turn signal clicker. added the resister and no issues. tomorrow i get my fuses and solve the mini-mystery.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Houston Cowgirl
Senior User
I don't know squat about this kind of stuff but I had all of my interior lights switched to LEDs about a year ago. They couldn't put LEDs in both map lights over the console so one doesn't work. But no issues as OP describes with all others replaced. ??? Good luck with your quandry!

Old 09-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Kyan
Trailering
I ran into the same issue with my LED conversion (thx to TXtinct help). My issue was that the metal body of LED capsule was shorting from one side to the other.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:01 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kyan
I ran into the same issue with my LED conversion (thx to TXtinct help). My issue was that the metal body of LED capsule was shorting from one side to the other.
Was it the festoon style or the other ones? I just got the fuses in the mail today so i'm gonna dig into it after work. Also how did you fix it? was it just a bad install issue or a defective bulb?

Quick Reply: upgrading all interior to LED and now no lights?