1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to sell lifted truck - Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
ENOUGH with the bashing. Seriously. That's not what we're here for.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 AM
allagash350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you remove any of th extras to make it more attractive to a buyer? Put on 35s and lower the lift to 6 inches, put on regular doors, remove the horns. I bet you could sell it for 26-30 then and sell the other stuff and make up some of the difference. Your biggest problem is getting a bank to finance it like others have said

Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by allagash350
Can you remove any of th extras to make it more attractive to a buyer? Put on 35s and lower the lift to 6 inches, put on regular doors, remove the horns. I bet you could sell it for 26-30 then and sell the other stuff and make up some of the difference. Your biggest problem is getting a bank to finance it like others have said

Jeeeez at this point the headache alone is not worth the effort....I'd just keep it.

I think several have asked why he is so adamant about selling it.....did the OP ever answer?

Old 09-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
No.

And I remember it wasn't that long ago he bought it, because he posted it here with a "coming home" video, complete with blowing the air horns.

The "honeymoon" was over pretty fast on this truck.

So, either something is "wrong" with the truck, or he found it unworkable for his needs.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
ENOUGH with the bashing. Seriously. That's not what we're here for.
Tom... what bashing? The OP titled the thread "Unable to sell lifted truck - frustrated" and asked for thoughts about whether the market tanked on lifted trucks like his. Assuming this was a genuine inquiry, and not a veiled attempt at drawing more eyes on the particular truck he had for sale, then it seems reasonable to expect members to offer their honest thoughts about why they wouldn't pay $38,500 for the OP's truck.

It appears that the OP is getting the exact feedback he asked for... even if it is in the brutally blunt form of someone saying (in so many words) that they wouldn't "have that POS pile if paid to take it." Since purchasing a vehicle can be motivated by emotional attraction as well as practical need, then emotional feedback regarding what repels people from considering the OP's truck is every bit as important as an enumeration of flaws that make it not functional for them.

But rather than accept the feedback offered per his request, the OP has come back and vigorously defended his choices of modifications. This is fine also, but, it causes one to wonder why the request for feedback was made in the first place.

Another thread on this forum is titled something to the effect of being in a "predicament" about whether or not to sell. After a few posts, it became clear that the OP was not in any predicament at all. His mind was already made up before he posted. He had already made the decision to sell, already had the truck cleaned and polished up for the picture, and generally was non responsive to any of the "reasoning" he ostensibly requested to make the decision. Sounded to me like another veiled for sale ad in the forum. But maybe I'm being too cynical.

Getting back to THIS thread and the question put to the membership about the value of a truck that the OP in this thread has for sale, another member made the following observation:

Originally Posted by joe blow
I think several have asked why he is so adamant about selling it.....did the OP ever answer?
I was one of the folks who asked the OP "Why are you selling it". And no, the OP didn't answer. I asked the question because I thought that if the OP did think for a while about why he is selling the truck, the answer as to why no one else is in a hurry to buy the truck at the price he is asking might become self evident. If the truck doesn't meet the OP's needs, then it might not meet many other peoples needs either. If the truck ties up too much of the vehicle budget for too little benefit or return for the OP, then it might tie up to much money for too little benefit for other people as well. If the truck is too impractical to use for the OP, then it might be too impractical for others as well. If the truck no longer appeals to the OP, it might not appeal to the market. If the truck's 6.4 engine is on the verge of needing expensive repairs, etc etc.

Anyway, I thought the feedback that the OP was given was instructive, not bashing, like the point about the presence of air dryers and ancillary equipment in over the road truck air suspension systems for example.

At least this thread makes me think twice about where to mount a new horn, should my factory one stop working.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:39 PM
tjcprop
Elder User
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Tom... what bashing? The OP titled the thread "Unable to sell lifted truck - frustrated" and asked for thoughts about whether the market tanked on lifted trucks like his. Assuming this was a genuine inquiry, and not a veiled attempt at drawing more eyes on the particular truck he had for sale, then it seems reasonable to expect members to offer their honest thoughts about why they wouldn't pay $38,500 for the OP's truck.

It appears that the OP is getting the exact feedback he asked for... even if it is in the brutally blunt form of someone saying (in so many words) that they wouldn't "have that POS pile if paid to take it." Since purchasing a vehicle can be motivated by emotional attraction as well as practical need, then emotional feedback regarding what repels people from considering the OP's truck is every bit as important as an enumeration of flaws that make it not functional for them.

But rather than accept the feedback offered per his request, the OP has come back and vigorously defended his choices of modifications. This is fine also, but, it causes one to wonder why the request for feedback was made in the first place.

Another thread on this forum is titled something to the effect of being in a "predicament" about whether or not to sell. After a few posts, it became clear that the OP was not in any predicament at all. His mind was already made up before he posted. He had already made the decision to sell, already had the truck cleaned and polished up for the picture, and generally was non responsive to any of the "reasoning" he ostensibly requested to make the decision. Sounded to me like another veiled for sale ad in the forum. But maybe I'm being too cynical.

Getting back to THIS thread and the question put to the membership about the value of a truck that the OP in this thread has for sale, another member made the following observation:

I was one of the folks who asked the OP "Why are you selling it". And no, the OP didn't answer. I asked the question because I thought that if the OP did think for a while about why he is selling the truck, the answer as to why no one else is in a hurry to buy the truck at the price he is asking might become self evident. If the truck doesn't meet the OP's needs, then it might not meet many other peoples needs either. If the truck ties up too much of the vehicle budget for too little benefit or return for the OP, then it might tie up to much money for too little benefit for other people as well. If the truck is too impractical to use for the OP, then it might be too impractical for others as well. If the truck no longer appeals to the OP, it might not appeal to the market. If the truck's 6.4 engine is on the verge of needing expensive repairs, etc etc.

Anyway, I thought the feedback that the OP was given was instructive, not bashing, like the point about the presence of air dryers and ancillary equipment in over the road truck air suspension systems for example.

At least this thread makes me think twice about where to mount a new horn, should my factory one stop working.

What a well written post. Agree with you totally.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:32 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
If the truck's 6.4 engine is on the verge of needing expensive repairs, etc etc.
I can only imagine with this huge custom truck lurks a custom tuner in the midst.....and with a tuner comes headaches and engine issues.

Again...why you selling it OP?

Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by joe blow

I can only imagine with this huge custom truck lurks a custom tuner in the midst.....and with a tuner comes headaches and engine issues.

Again...why you selling it OP?
A tuner eliminates most of the headaches with the 6.4

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-02-2014, 01:22 PM
JST2CRZY
Junior User
Some really good feedback and suggestions here. I knew my post would bring on some really strong opinions so not bothered by it just stating my responses/opinions based on those. I actually bought the truck this way so it was obviously not my creation I made into my dream truck. As for the post that said it has high school kid written all over it - my wife says I act like a 17 yo at times so it fits . I did buy the truck in June. The reason for selling is this: I had a supercharged Viper that I had owned since 07 and decided that I wanted a lifted truck again, have had several in the past and go back and forth between cars and trucks.

I have sellers remorse and realized I liked having the Viper better. Other than the few issues that are listed in the ad, these is absolutely nothing wrong with the truck. If someone wanted to go back to stock hinges, they are about $70 each. Worse case, a used drivers door can be sourced I'm told for a few hundred. Add in a scuff and spray for a few panels and I'll bet it would be a reasonable amount to have it done. It does have a older sct tuner that was not hooked up. I plugged it in but it won't go past the initializing screen. Have been meaning to call sct for advice. I do get a lot of compliments and pictures taken.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:10 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JST2CRZY
Some really good feedback and suggestions here. I knew my post would bring on some really strong opinions so not bothered by it just stating my responses/opinions based on those. I actually bought the truck this way so it was obviously not my creation I made into my dream truck. As for the post that said it has high school kid written all over it - my wife says I act like a 17 yo at times so it fits . I did buy the truck in June. The reason for selling is this: I had a supercharged Viper that I had owned since 07 and decided that I wanted a lifted truck again, have had several in the past and go back and forth between cars and trucks.

I have sellers remorse and realized I liked having the Viper better. Other than the few issues that are listed in the ad, these is absolutely nothing wrong with the truck. If someone wanted to go back to stock hinges, they are about $70 each. Worse case, a used drivers door can be sourced I'm told for a few hundred. Add in a scuff and spray for a few panels and I'll bet it would be a reasonable amount to have it done. It does have a older sct tuner that was not hooked up. I plugged it in but it won't go past the initializing screen. Have been meaning to call sct for advice. I do get a lot of compliments and pictures taken.

Bummer you made the choice over your viper....probably a bada$$ car to drive. Your truck is nice for sure and hopefully you can get rid of it for the price you want.

*****start charging for the pics

Old 09-02-2014, 05:11 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
A tuner eliminates most of the headaches with the 6.4

My mistake...forgot it was a 6.4

Old 09-02-2014, 05:36 PM
tjcprop
Elder User
Wow sold a Viper for this truck. What a HUGE mistake in my option. Sell the truck for BB and take the loss and and value this life lesson.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tjcprop
Wow sold a Viper for this truck. What a HUGE mistake in my option. Sell the truck for BB and take the loss and and value this life lesson.

You know how to kick a man when he's down I see

Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tjcprop
Life lesson? Wtf are you smoking?

Old 09-03-2014, 11:35 AM
zimm
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The sad truth is the truck is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay. Obviously that price is not $38k. If you want to be lazy, keep dropping the price until someone bites.

If I had to sell it...
-Loose the train horns
-Fix the paint damage
-Put back any of the stock badging if you have it
-Price to move it- I would start with KBB plus about 1/3rd of the mod cost and drop from there.

I sold my '03 F250 7.3 for the same price as a stock one would have sold for. And I had a DR 6" lift, 37" toyos, forged wheels, 4.30 gears, lockers, built tranny, tuner, exhaust, intake, full audio system with JL steathbox, amps, C5 speakers, Drilled/slotted rotors, EBC brakes, new front end (ball joints, tie rods, etc), etc etc. Tried to sell it up-priced for weeks with no luck. Dropped price and some high school kid from 2 states away drove up and bought it.

Quick Reply: Unable to sell lifted truck - Frustrated