Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Im not one to race but....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 09:49 AM
NoSlak
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldnt resist after this guy in a brand new Z3 with no plates flipped me off cuz I honked at him lightly because he wasnt moving at the green for a left turn.
Anywas I made the light . he flipped me off I retunred the favor so he punched it and tried to cut me off....Alas , I punched my V-10 with 1000 miles on it ( we were uphill) beat him to the cut off so we both floored it up a hill , all I saw was him in my rearviewwondering about all the money he spent on his new car and how he just got beat my a FORD!

Sorry for the long post but THE FOLLOWING DAY, there was this Acura ricer, had tails, big gauges in dash, fire extinguisher , the works, when it was all over he was laffing and gave me the thumbs up for blowing him out of the water( or asphault), he could not beleive what had just happened,lol.

Old 07-14-2003, 12:17 AM
bronco351
Posting Guru

Awesome, just a quick question. What is a Z3, is that a camaro?

Old 07-14-2003, 07:39 AM
NoSlak
Junior User

Beemer d00d. Like the one James Bond drove a couple movies ago.

Old 07-14-2003, 10:42 AM
SD Mark
New User

My Z3 (not the M model, which is even faster) will go 0-60 in 5.9 sec (BMW specs) and Car and Driver mag did it in 5.4. This is a totally stock Z3.

0-60 for a stock F-250 V-10 is what?? 8 - 9.5 secs??

Those simply aren't comparable numbers. The Z3 would WAX a F-250, which really is the way things should be.

I suspect what you encountered was a wimpy driver in a fast car, not a fast driver in a wimpy car.

If you were driving a 6 cyl Z3, you would beat your 0-60 times in your F-250. Guaranteed ...

Plus you would have more fun in the twisties.

On the downside, you couldn't carry a sheet of plywood.

Don't take this the wrong way, I love the F-250 with the V-10. I'm getting one in the next few months. It's a great truck.

-Mark

Old 07-14-2003, 11:34 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SD Mark
My Z3 (not the M model, which is even faster) will go 0-60 in 5.9 sec (BMW specs) and Car and Driver mag did it in 5.4. This is a totally stock Z3.

0-60 for a stock F-250 V-10 is what?? 8 - 9.5 secs??

Those simply aren't comparable numbers. The Z3 would WAX a F-250, which really is the way things should be.

I suspect what you encountered was a wimpy driver in a fast car, not a fast driver in a wimpy car.

If you were driving a 6 cyl Z3, you would beat your 0-60 times in your F-250. Guaranteed ...

Plus you would have more fun in the twisties.

On the downside, you couldn't carry a sheet of plywood.

Don't take this the wrong way, I love the F-250 with the V-10. I'm getting one in the next few months. It's a great truck.

-Mark
If it was the 2.3 liter Z-3, it could be any number of reasons why the guy with the V-10 smoked him. 140 cubic inches is still 140 cubic inches. If the Z-3 driver was not wringing his engine out he got caught flat footed and out of his torque curve. The V-10 makes beau coup torque and torque moves vehicles, not horsepower. I've caught many drivers by surprise, and by the time they realize what has just happened to them, it's too late, I'm gone. Most of the Z-3's are the 2.3, cause they're much cheaper. And most poseurs who buy the Z-3 do so because it's a Bimmer, instead of for what the car COULD do in the hands of an intelligent driver (all V-10 drivers are intelligent as evidenced by their choice of brands and by their choices of engines). Maybe Motortrend can get that Z-3 through the traps in less than 7 seconds, but most drivers could not. It takes a 5,000 rpm launch and a fast hand on the shift lever to keep that little engine in it's useful rpm range. Whereas we mash the gas pedal and hang on.

Old 07-14-2003, 12:43 PM
SD Mark
New User

The Z3 sales stats can be cut up in any number of ways to reach any number of conclusions. Most sales of a single engine were of the 4 cylinder model, although that was the only engine offered in the early days. That engine would struggle to beat anyone 0-60, but it is probably the best handling Z3.

Total 6 cylinder sales favor the larger sixes, and not the 2.3/2.5 model (which is essentially the same engine).

Total 2.3/2.5 sold: 34,515
Larger sixes (2.8/3.0/3.2): 43,451

Assuming this Z3 was new, it was either a 2.5, 3.0, or an M.

The M and the 3.0 would toast a stock F-250 0-60. There's simply no question.

The 2.5 automatic would be getting close to competitive 0-60, but there's no shifting required and it would handily beat the F-250 0-100-0, which is the more typical sportscar benchmark.

Old 07-14-2003, 03:30 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru

Probably the most accurate benchmark for street racing is time to a given distance, which can be grossly different than 0-60 times. Acceleration rates are not linear.

JJ

Old 07-14-2003, 07:44 PM
NoSlak
Junior User

okey, I did say it was up hill, stepp hill; Pine St. in San Francisco.

Old 07-14-2003, 08:05 PM
dcblue84
Freshman User

ok guys,
lets give it up on the BMW Vs F-250. i mean cmon, i love bimmers but im not gonna try to beat one heads up or up a hill. now lets put a hitch on that bimmer with some luggage (if u know what i mean) and clock some times. WHOS WITH ME!!!! guys this is all about trucks and our monster V-10's which we worship mostly everyday. lets stick to it.

2000 f-350 v-10 4 door long bed
K&N FIPK
Dynomax Exhaust
8 1/2" Lift
38.5x16x16.5 swampers

Old 07-15-2003, 11:18 AM
ken04
Posting Guru

Originally posted by dcblue84
ok guys,
lets give it up on the BMW Vs F-250. i mean cmon, i love bimmers but im not gonna try to beat one heads up or up a hill. now lets put a hitch on that bimmer with some luggage (if u know what i mean) and clock some times. WHOS WITH ME!!!! guys this is all about trucks and our monster V-10's which we worship mostly everyday. lets stick to it.

2000 f-350 v-10 4 door long bed
K&N FIPK
Dynomax Exhaust
8 1/2" Lift
38.5x16x16.5 swampers
Yea buddy ! I'll strap 2 of those little under-powered (the 2.3's anyway) on my flatbed and still smoke that little 2 seat 'chick-car' with nothing but a lightweight pop-up camp trailer on it's hitch. And I'll put 14 people and all their gear inside ta boot ! Just sit back, put your feet up, stick a DVD in the X-Box, have a cool drink from the fridge and leave the driving to us.

Old 07-15-2003, 01:55 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I frequently smoke or suprise the hell out of all kinds of go fast cars out here.

The truth in a heads up Drag race will usually go to the guy with the better HP to weight ratio.

But out here on the street I get to take advantage of suprise, savy, position, and other driver inexperiance...... SUPRISE!! hehe and a win is still a WIN....

And the satisfaction (childish is it may be) is for my 48 year old *** to drive all the way home with a BIG SH IT EATING GRIN!!

Old 07-17-2003, 10:01 AM
SD Mark
New User

lol ... you guys kill me.

2000 Z3 2.3 auto
170 hp
181 ft-lb torque
2987 lb weight
0-60: 7.7 sec

It's hard to get 0-60 times for an F-250 with the V-10. I'd guess that's because most people don't buy a truck with visions of fast 0-60 times. The only numbers I've seen put it at 9 seconds.

1.3 seconds is an ETERNITY in 0-60 times, and that's the slowest Z3 there is. Put a 3 liter in there and it's significantly faster 0-60 than a Ferrari 308GTB (remember those? Isn't that the one Magnum PI drove??)

I'm not saying that there aren't grandmas out there driving Z3s. I'm saying that if YOU were to drive the Z3 the same way you drive your truck, you would definitely notice the difference between a sports car and a truck. You would notice when you pushed the gas pedal, and (as others correctly pointed out) you would notice when you tried to haul a trailer.

dcblue84 has it right, I think ... we have to like our vehicles for what they are. Get one of each, that's MY plan

-Mark

Old 07-18-2003, 11:06 AM
ken04
Posting Guru

Originally posted by SD Mark
lol ... you guys kill me.

2000 Z3 2.3 auto
170 hp
181 ft-lb torque
2987 lb weight
0-60: 7.7 sec

I'm not saying that there aren't grandmas out there driving Z3s. I'm saying that if YOU were to drive the Z3 the same way you drive your truck, you would definitely notice the difference between a sports car and a truck. You would notice when you pushed the gas pedal, and (as others correctly pointed out) you would notice when you tried to haul a trailer.

-Mark
And that's the real truth, there are vastly different people with vastly different driving styles. Any of us may think the guy in the Z06 vette WAS racing us when we whooped him out of the light, when they really were going at 50%. So it's impossible to say unless you go to the strip and go through the lights. And even then, driving skill can win races when the other car has more hp and torque but are asleep at the switch. It really don't matter, we all have bot our V-10's for one reason or the other. AND we all love them for different reasons. So if I THINK I've blown someone in the weeds, I AM happy, whether in a real race he/she could have taken me or not, it doesn't matter. In that moment in time, I am the winner, even if I'm the only who knows it, right ?

Old 07-18-2003, 11:12 AM
GR8Diesel
Senior User

I'm seeing pretty good numbers here for a california car. I thought the CA equipped cars were dogs.

Usually in any contest it is the operator instead of the equipment.

Just my .02

Old 07-18-2003, 02:38 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts

The whole problem was the Z3 driver probably didn't know how to drive a stick the right way. I learned from driving a little Triumph TR7 with NA 2.0L 4-banger. sluggy at only 2000lbs. But, I could smoke most MUSTANG'S off the line because I would rev it to 6500 RPM and slide the clutch just enough to keep it above 5000 RPM, right in the peak torque.

With little wheels, rear suspension that basically had traction bars built in, and a 3.90 rear, it HAULED off the line. Of course, get to around 40MPH and that Mustang would come flying by me at more than 65MPH.

However, in stop-and-go type of situations, I could smoke almost anything...

With my V10, well, the FWD rice-burners around here learned their lesson already I have yet to see anyone with a Z3 actually beat on it.

ak

Quick Reply: Im not one to race but....