somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
looks great...nice work

Old 09-22-2014, 05:23 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only wish mine could clean up anywhere near that nice.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:02 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
haha I actually wish it had cleaned up a little better. It's the first time I had washed it since it was painted and although there is little to no orange peel there are some cloudy areas in the clear coat from overspray which means the whole truck needs to be cut and buffed. My shoulder and arm is already hurting from thinking of that much sanding! haha

Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Good thing someone invented Power Tools huh? I know a guy that has a detail shop in Clearview who's main interest is 73-79 trucks and paint restoration, if you don't want to do it yourself.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:34 AM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
I know a guy that has a detail shop in Clearview who's main interest is 73-79 trucks and paint restoration, if you don't want to do it yourself.
Wet sanding a clear coat isn't too bad but I can't even imagine buffing it back by hand!

That's funny, I was looking at the paint thinking... "wow I wish I knew someone who could fix this so I don't have to." If you could PM me his number that would be awesome!

Old 09-23-2014, 11:16 AM
79Supercab
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
For the double DIN I plan on moving heater controls anyway so that's not a big deal. Not sure cramming a double din and heater controls is possible without trimming down the height of the heater control panel plastic, though it has quite a bit of excess.

There is a guy in Milton that has a older Crew Cab, F-350 SCS and a first Gen Bronco for a wheeler. He actually just added himself to the Wa Members map (hint hint you and Stromburg) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post14649449

Stromburg, depending on your age I may know you, went to HS in Arlington and am up there quite often.
Just found some time to catch up on this thread. Looking good so far. Like the idea of the pipe on the tailgate. I'm the guy that OddFordJunkie was referring to.

Funny, the guy that did the "restomod" on my truck way before I got it used the same overhead console:

I like it. Has some storage and a place for some lights/switches.

Me and my Bronco have been around a while, it previously looked like this:

It looked like that up until about a year and a half ago when I finally painted it, and now it looks like:

With kid stuff and so on I don't get out much to wheel. Mainly Memorial Day, TTC, and Naches before it closes in Nov. Do you ever go on northwestclassicbroncos.com forum? I'm Ryans71 on there.

Ryan

Old 09-23-2014, 11:31 AM
CLVLNDLVR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 F150 engine swap.

I have a 1979 F150 4x4 Shortbox with a 351M or 400 not sure and automatic tranny
. I want to swap it out for a 403 Windsor stroker motor. Can anyone tell me what problems I will encounter with this swap?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Welcome to the forum, your first problem is learning how to navigate the forum and where to post things.

This is a Build Thread for 1 individual's truck.

Go to the 73-79 trucks and at the top left of the topics list there is a button stating NEW THREAD, hit that and start a new thread asking your question.

You may not have enough posts to start a new thread so go to Chapters, whatever state you live in, then introduce yourself and start getting to know people.

For instance the Washington Chapter has a Meet & Greet every month which is on the 26th this month at Jimmy Mac's restaurant in Renton at 6pm.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
CLVLNDLVR welcome to FTE, here is your FTE state chapter link.

North Dakota Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

OFJ show'm the like this, and good on you for helping.

Forum index Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ford truck and SUV owners and enthusiasts Community And Information Source.

The forum index you want to be in https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/

Old 01-20-2015, 01:36 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Update time....

Took some time away from this truck to do a mini restore on my Bronco. Had some rust issues and the paint was dead.

Went from this (taken when paint was good, since then half of it peeled off)

To this (also added racing seat (power drivers seat), 5 points, gusseted the cage and bedlinered the inside). Yes the hood is a bit weird but it was cheep and my oem hood was trashed

Well now that the intermission is over back to the real project.

Finally got the paint buffed and the trim polished and back on.

It came out pretty good, have a few issues and don't ask me how but it seems that when you take the rubber out of the trim and let it sit for a few months it shrinks??? Mine shrank enough that I actually had to go to the JY and get new rubber from a doner truck.

I posted this in the quad headlight thread but I also finished the grille and grille inserts to go with the dual headlight setup.

So that's pretty much it for the outside, I still need to put the inner fender well covers back on and put the door weather stripping in but that's going to wait till the interior is finished. Hopefully it goes off to be line-x'ed next week... need the weekend to fix the fact that I grafted in the aux fuel filler door opening a bit aft and now it doesn't clear the factory bulge in the bed... Oops

Next post will be all interior based

Old 01-20-2015, 03:13 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
So to go along with the 2004 GMC Envoy front seats and the color matched door panels I covered the oem rear paneling... wow was that a pain! It came out ok in the end but took a lot of work and redoing.

My truck originally had retractable shoulder harnesses but with the new seats the belts are inside the seat. Because of this I needed to cover the opening left from the upper seatbelt attachment points. I tried for a long time to find supercab rear panels with no upper cut out but never could so that left me with making my own cover plates. They came out ok and get the job done.

You can also see the bench seat latch cover and the speaker grill. With all the contour of the side panels they didn't work will with mounting the speaker directly to them so the rear speaker is mounted to the body sheet metal and a hole was cut out into the interior panel behind the grille. The speaker grille is .25" abs thermoformed to match the contour of the panel then covered in material.

Here is a better look at the speaker grille

You can also see the back of the seat belt cover panel (sitting above the interior panel). It has fiberglass tabs bonded to it so that it can attach to the main panel with less screws... This would also make it removable without removing the main panel but I can't actually see why I would need to do this.

Here is the driver's side and rear panel installed. I have the upper trim bumpers covered in dark oak (and the panels are light oak as per gm ). I used grommets to finish out the holes needed to access the screws and turns out the grommets are too small to get a socket into them (screw fits though) so guess I need new screws.

I'm hoping tonight to finish up the rear of the cab, upper trim bumpers and rear seats. If I do I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 AM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas

Got a little more work done last night and was able to finish up the back seat worth of interior.

The rear seat was recovered in a pattern that hopefully goes with the front seats. The original seat vinyl was in really good shape so I left that in place and just went over it with the new. Under the metal backing of the seats is a 1/4" rod frame that the original vinyl connects to. I added a second ring of 1/4" rod to attach the new seat cover too. This all worked out pretty good, the seat back is the original thickness and the bottom has 1" extra foam added (had the foam and couldn't see a reason not to add it).

Is anyone familiar with the rear seat risers? The normal kit is 4" but I'd like to just raise it 1-2".

Hoping for front seats tonight!!!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Jchet729
Laughing Gas
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Trucks looking good bronco

Old 01-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
excellent work on the rear panels.

A comment on the rubber inserts... I would assume that you left the rubber inserts out for longer than just a day or two when you wanted to polish the chrome.

stretched rubber has a higher energy state than something that's not stretched. Chemistry 101 tells us that all matter in the universe tries to get to the lowest possible state of energy at any point in time. Hense, shrinkage.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:17 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Yup that makes sence... just wish I would have thought of that before. Then agian, de-anodizing, polishing and painting took a long time, there might not have been any way for me to keep it from shrinking.

I have the old pieces maybe I'll try heating and streching just to see if it's possible to fix.

Quick Reply: 1979 F350 4x4 Supercab resto-mod build thread