Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1979 F350 4x4 Supercab resto-mod build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:33 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I haven't wheeled in a few years... not for lack of want but for lack of buddies with running trucks. It seems like all my friends with trucks are in some sort of perma repair/modification.

Wheeling Walker Valley would be awesome! I just painted the bronco yesterday. The blue and white flames done in enamel house paint 12 years ago were finally dying! haha

Just need to put the bumpers and cage back in and it's ready to go again.

With all the trucks in your sig... what do you wheel with?

Old 09-08-2014, 03:40 PM
stromburg
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been in the same boat, I got out of it for a while and now getting back into it.

I wheel a cj7 that's set up pretty decent, it's in my gallery

Old 09-08-2014, 06:06 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the double DIN I plan on moving heater controls anyway so that's not a big deal. Not sure cramming a double din and heater controls is possible without trimming down the height of the heater control panel plastic, though it has quite a bit of excess.

There is a guy in Milton that has a older Crew Cab, F-350 SCS and a first Gen Bronco for a wheeler. He actually just added himself to the Wa Members map (hint hint you and Stromburg) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post14649449

Stromburg, depending on your age I may know you, went to HS in Arlington and am up there quite often.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:33 PM
stromburg
Senior User
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
For the double DIN I plan on moving heater controls anyway so that's not a big deal. Not sure cramming a double din and heater controls is possible without trimming down the height of the heater control panel plastic, though it has quite a bit of excess.

There is a guy in Milton that has a older Crew Cab, F-350 SCS and a first Gen Bronco for a wheeler. He actually just added himself to the Wa Members map (hint hint you and Stromburg) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post14649449

Stromburg, depending on your age I may know you, went to HS in Arlington and am up there quite often.
Oddfordjunkie, I'm old... I graduated from Bothell in 1984 ...I've lived in Arlington for the last 12 yrs, my daughter graduated from Arlington 2011 and my son just started kindergarten at kent prairie last week..... Anyway the 3of us should grab a couple beers and talk shop

Old 09-08-2014, 10:54 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Don't drink anymore myself but would be happy to be the DD for the night, think I can fit both of you in the CrewCab.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:18 AM
Jchet729
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by buckin69bronco

Jchet729, the dash tooling is currently set to flip the deck and the heat controls. Is this something you want to do? It may be a bit until I can build/modify the tool to have it be the original way.
I'd be content to wait and see if you do any with the din in the normal position. No rush here, right side frame rails still rocking the twisted look outside the frame shop, thinking I may just have to either find a new frame or at least the right side rail... (2wd short box)

Old 09-09-2014, 05:25 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
That's funny, although I live in Bothell I actually work in Marysville. Getting together for a beer (or a coke) would be cool.

Oldfordjunkie, if you are going to move the heat controls then plugging the void I made for them would be really easy and then you would have a large flat area to mount a double din deck.

Jchet729, I'll let you know when I can get to switching the heat and stereo locations back to stock. Will probably be a winter project.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:02 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Can PM what you'd like for one of the panels.

Coke, Coffee, Cervesa... WHatever, just to overlook trucks and exchange ideas or maybe parts.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:22 PM
stromburg
Senior User
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Can PM what you'd like for one of the panels.

Coke, Coffee, Cervesa... WHatever, just to overlook trucks and exchange ideas or maybe parts.
Well we have really high jacked this thread (sorry)... I'd really like to see your truck in person... Shoot me a PM

Thanks
Rick

Old 09-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Definitely Subscribed.

How did you choose a late 90's tahoe overhead console over every other kind of console out there?

Not that I want to dispute your choice, but I've always wondered what I would go with when I got to the interior of my truck like you're at.

Another question. Where are you going to locate the exterior temp sensor for your rear-view mirror and how are you wiring it up?

Old 09-10-2014, 04:34 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
I owned a tahoe before I got the f350 and always liked the overhead consol. It is longer than most other ones out there and doesn't have a digital display that I wouldn't be able to use anyway. I also like the self contained, programmable 3 button garage door opener that's in it too.

The rear view mirror takes 4 wires, hot, ground and 2 for the temp sensor. If you want to add the wire for the backup lights it will turn off dimming when in reverse. The rest of the wires are for dimming side view mirrors and are not needed unless you get really fancy with your mirrors. The temp sensor came mounted in front of the radiator just off to the drivers side so I will put it somewhere close to that.

Here is the wiring for the mirror. Most common is the 7 pin ones which is what I have.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:11 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Did this work before the truck was painted (obviously) but the top rail of the tail gate was dented and I wanted to avoid that situation in the future so the top got cut off and a 1.25" 1/8" wall steel tube was welded in. It is a bit off from the side with the alignment to the bed side but from the back looks pretty good. Once the trim gets put back on I may be able to adjust some of the misalignment out of it. After the bed gets lined I don't think I will have any more problems with the top of the gate getting dented.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:43 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,290 Likes on 2,446 Posts
Cool idea on the pipe inlay instead of the standard tailgate overlay protector.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:33 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Cool idea on the pipe inlay instead of the standard tailgate overlay protector.
X2, I've seen the 1/4" body caps for Early Broncos (79Supercab has them) and this makes me think of them.

Unfortunately your wonderful idea has added more work to my extremely long list of projects on the Crew. haha

Old 09-22-2014, 11:02 AM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Not much progress this week, been working on painting and bedliner'ing the EB. Did get the truck fired up for the first time in a year (it developed an exhaust leak sitting ). Moved it a whopping 20' to clean it and change the rear shocks and rear sway bar bushing. It did clean up well though . Hope to start installing interior panels this week and get the front and rear glass installed.

Quick Reply: 1979 F350 4x4 Supercab resto-mod build thread