6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Mishimoto 200° vs. Ford 192° thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:15 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Ok, so to summarize all 810 posts:

1) The thermostat shouldn't need special treatment (ie boiling) straight out of the box
2) It works in both the C91 and C92 housings
3) YMMV, so plan to boil it and order a C91 housing just in case?

Old 02-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
13 outside this morning--ran 198/200 ECT and 204/205 EOT on the way to work.
Six degrees here this morning, ran 180/190 on the way to work on the the original 12 year old thermostat. I am still contemplating the Mishomito stat. Just want to see if it holds up for the long haul.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:21 AM
Will Bite
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-13 tonight on way to work held up great. 199.4 Coolant 203 Oil.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mishimoto
Thanks for considering our thermostat! Let us know if you need assistance picking one up.
Tried to haggle with the supplier to come down on the price. They wanted $70, plus $20 shipping, plus sales tax came in at $105. I said that I would like to pay about $90. Their reply is that they could take $5 off the shipping and if I could find a lower price in Canada to let them know. (Basically a big shove it up yours because we can shaft you if we want to).

I guess I will be waiting until the exchange rate stabilizes a bit and going south of the border. Not your fault, but your vendor up here will not be getting any business from me.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:01 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke

Six degrees here this morning, ran 180/190 on the way to work on the the original 12 year old thermostat. I am still contemplating the Mishomito stat. Just want to see if it holds up for the long haul.
Yep--been watching ya'lls temps. Crazry the difference a few hundred miles makes.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 02-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Tried to haggle with the supplier to come down on the price."

Obviously I don't know but maybe the $ difference is due to the currency exchange rate?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep--been watching ya'lls temps. Crazry the difference a few hundred miles makes.

2006 F350 4X4
My thermostat has 76,000 miles and 12 years on it, not a few hundred miles.

Last edited by Tennesseepowerstroke; 02-20-2015 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-20-2015, 09:06 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Army RET
"Tried to haggle with the supplier to come down on the price."

Obviously I don't know but maybe the $ difference is due to the currency exchange rate?
It certainly is.

However they are directly adjusting in real time with the exchange rates. That means if it changes by .0001 cents, their site adjusts it. So even if they bought it when the exchange rate was fairer, they choose to mark it up now for that extra bit of margin. I have never seen that on a B2C e-commerce level.

They then throw shipping on top of this. Assuming that they are buying at the wholesale price that is offered to other retailers (that are state side), who will further add free shipping, they are just being greedy. I understand that it costs money to get the item to Canada, however not at such a level. I'm not completely familiar if there would be any special tariffs on the thermostats when entering Canada, however at this point they just appear to be being greedy.

Their customer service was anything but satisfactory. They reached out to me after I had abandoned my shopping cart before checkout and asked me if there was anything that they could do to make me fulfill my order. I did not reach out to them. After proposing the lower price, they simply said to let them know if I can find a lower price in Canada. That is actually all they said. I would understand if I had reached out to them, but they reached out to me.

"Hi Nathaniel,

If you can find a better price in Canada for this item, please let us know.

Thanks."

Just pissed me off is all I guess. Maybe I am overreacting, but I'll just wait to buy the item from the US and cross the border to pick it up.

Edit - to be clear, this isn't directed at Mishimoto. Just the Canadian vendor. I will be purchasing the Mishimoto stat in the future.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Rory_Johnson
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed mine about three weeks ago, after I got the C91 housing from a dealership.

So far, excellent behavior. ECT stable around 204F for most cruising operations.

Worst low temperature case thus far has been -22F ambient, with ECT still running around 204F.

Quite happy with the performance. Like others, I will also watch behavior in hot ambient, particularly when towing if the opportunity arises.

Rory

Old 02-20-2015, 10:37 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke

My thermostat has 76,000 miles and 12 years on it, not a few hundred miles.
I meant with the weather
When I changed mine out it was original with ~144k on it---it had a good life.

2006 F350 4X4

Old 02-21-2015, 06:30 AM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Ok, so to summarize all 810 posts:

1) The thermostat shouldn't need special treatment (ie boiling) straight out of the box
2) It works in both the C91 and C92 housings
3) YMMV, so plan to boil it and order a C91 housing just in case?
That is funny

Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Mishimoto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dhag911
will this fit in my 06 without any issues with the housing
It is very possible, however it will depend upon the housing installed on your vehicle. Some customers have reported issues with the C92 housing while others have had success installing it. Please reference the instructions below for installation of this thermostat.

Installation Process

Scenario 1: Thermostat pin hole in housing is too short for Mishimoto thermostat pin. This is what we are finding with some OEM and aftermarket housings. After the thermostat is installed, the unit will not be able to fully close. Our product is designed to function with Motorcraft RT-1169 thermostat housing. A different housing was equipped on some vehicles, and may not function properly with our thermostat. It is possible to drill the pin-hole length slightly, however the correct housing is recommended.

Scenario 2: You have the correct housing, but the thermostat will still not fit. Try warming up the thermostat slightly, this will cause the pin to move, which should allow you to install the thermostat into the housing. If you continue to have issues, please contact our customer service team at the address below.

Scenario 3: Everything is fitting perfectly, however a new o-ring was not included with my purchase. Contact our customer service team, they will send you a new o-ring at no charge. We are now including the o-ring with our 6.0L thermostat.

Scenario 4: Everything installed correctly but temperatures are not reaching 200 degrees. We have had a couple customers experience this, their truck normally hovers in the 170 degree range. If this occurs, please contact our customer service team and we will send out a replacement unit ASAP.

Feel free to contact us regarding any issues with this particular product. We have been working with a couple members here to alleviate concerns listed above.

For those who have run into problems/confusion, we truly apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks

Customer Service Email: support@mishimoto.com

Originally Posted by Will Bite
It fit my 06. No problems so far i love mine.
Fantastic, thanks for chiming in!

Originally Posted by copsey
Just ordered mine, tired of temps not reaching 190 with a 6 month old Ford thermo. If the prior replacement I received was ordered as part number 3C3Z8575AA will it be the new housing?
Awesome, thank you for the order. That housing should be correct. Any currently stocked Ford thermostat should include the updated housing.

13 outside this morning--ran 198/200 ECT and 204/205 EOT on the way to work.
Originally Posted by Will Bite
-13 tonight on way to work held up great. 199.4 Coolant 203 Oil.
Originally Posted by Rory_Johnson
I installed mine about three weeks ago, after I got the C91 housing from a dealership.

So far, excellent behavior. ECT stable around 204F for most cruising operations.

Worst low temperature case thus far has been -22F ambient, with ECT still running around 204F.

Quite happy with the performance. Like others, I will also watch behavior in hot ambient, particularly when towing if the opportunity arises.

Rory
Great stuff guys, thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by nmclella
Tried to haggle with the supplier to come down on the price. They wanted $70, plus $20 shipping, plus sales tax came in at $105. I said that I would like to pay about $90. Their reply is that they could take $5 off the shipping and if I could find a lower price in Canada to let them know. (Basically a big shove it up yours because we can shaft you if we want to).

I guess I will be waiting until the exchange rate stabilizes a bit and going south of the border. Not your fault, but your vendor up here will not be getting any business from me.
Originally Posted by nmclella
It certainly is.

However they are directly adjusting in real time with the exchange rates. That means if it changes by .0001 cents, their site adjusts it. So even if they bought it when the exchange rate was fairer, they choose to mark it up now for that extra bit of margin. I have never seen that on a B2C e-commerce level.

They then throw shipping on top of this. Assuming that they are buying at the wholesale price that is offered to other retailers (that are state side), who will further add free shipping, they are just being greedy. I understand that it costs money to get the item to Canada, however not at such a level. I'm not completely familiar if there would be any special tariffs on the thermostats when entering Canada, however at this point they just appear to be being greedy.

Their customer service was anything but satisfactory. They reached out to me after I had abandoned my shopping cart before checkout and asked me if there was anything that they could do to make me fulfill my order. I did not reach out to them. After proposing the lower price, they simply said to let them know if I can find a lower price in Canada. That is actually all they said. I would understand if I had reached out to them, but they reached out to me.

"Hi Nathaniel,

If you can find a better price in Canada for this item, please let us know.

Thanks."

Just pissed me off is all I guess. Maybe I am overreacting, but I'll just wait to buy the item from the US and cross the border to pick it up.

Edit - to be clear, this isn't directed at Mishimoto. Just the Canadian vendor. I will be purchasing the Mishimoto stat in the future.
Sorry to hear about this experience. sending you a PM shortly to see if we can assist.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:38 PM
rocco7869
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Scenario 4: Everything installed correctly but temperatures are not reaching 200 degrees. We have had a couple customers experience this, their truck normally hovers in the 170 degree range. If this occurs, please contact our customer service team and we will send out a replacement unit ASAP.

Ok so mine seems to fit closest to this scenario. I can't seem to get the temp over 160+/=. I do have the C92 housing but everything seemed to fit fine. I am going to take it back apart and see if it's seating properly and if not, Drill out the hole or get another housing first.

Chuck

Old 03-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Mishimoto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rocco7869

Ok so mine seems to fit closest to this scenario. I can't seem to get the temp over 160+/=. I do have the C92 housing but everything seemed to fit fine. I am going to take it back apart and see if it's seating properly and if not, Drill out the hole or get another housing first.

Chuck
Interesting. Did you boil the housing/thermostat assembly to seat it? Let us know what you find.

-John

Old 03-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
My t-stat showed up from Amazon a couple of days ago. Looks good in the box, came with an O ring. It also came with an extra pin... Mistake?

Quick Reply: Mishimoto 200° vs. Ford 192° thermostat