6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

BAD REFUEL EXPERIENCE AT LOVES

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I ran into this at a pilot a few weeks ago.
I went to the consumer diesel pump with the gas pumps and it sent me to the cashier as soon as I swiped my card.
All I needed was around 15 gallons of diesel and I had to wait in line and specify a dollar amount, which of course I under estimated.
I filled up at Shell that evening and even the evening before without an issue, on the truck side.
I'm fussing about a first world problem but it is annoying, especially at the consumer pump.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Mud_Man_Dude
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buc-ees is driving Love's out business in my State. Diesel is always a lot cheaper and the stores are much cleaner. If you see one, stop in and have a look see.

Buc-ee's Beaver has the Fun Stores

Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Mud_Man_Dude
Buc-ees is driving Love's out business in my State. Diesel is always a lot cheaper and the stores are much cleaner. If you see one, stop in and have a look see.

Buc-ee's Beaver has the Fun Stores
Mmmmmm...Beaver Nuggets. There's a Buc-ees just down the street from me and the new one they just built in Texas City isn't far either. I stopped at the one in Luling, TX a few weeks ago after a weekend in San Antonio. The place was so packed they had cops in the parking lot directing traffic. The Beaver Nuggets are that good, and they always have low diesel prices.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 PM
travlingman
Mountain Pass
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Since I pull a 40' fiver, always use the truck lane when filling. Don't use Loves as the ones I have pulled into always have at least a 15% bio mix. Try to use a Flying J RV lane if around since I can use card at pump. Also like Hess/Wilco as I take license in, put in the tray for the pump I am using and then pay after pulling up. Since my credit card isn't used, no limit at pump.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:19 PM
OutlawII
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same issue at a Love's in Fargo ND,i no longer stop at any Love's!

Old 08-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
WTF is a Beaver Nugget?

And I did notice that Love's was more expensive on my last cross country drive too... They will either change or go out of business...

Old 08-21-2014, 05:24 AM
Averill7
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
I have the RV advange card with pilot/flying J.

Pumps don't shut off with them.

I avoid loves if I can.
My wife really likes the RV adv. card, she doesn't get hit on by the truckers any more, and since we got the card along with our goodsam number, we get 12 cent or so discount at the pump and it never shuts off.

I agree with the notion that the station sets the $ limit, not the credit card. I have one credit card, and pumped at hundreds of stations and the limits vary by the station, some 75, 99, 100, 125, etc. we travel for 8 solid weeks every summer, all over the country. Seen it all with 37.5 gal tank. With the RV card for pilot/flying J my announce of refueling has been drastically reduced. Simply pay your fuel bill once a month, online, using your credit card of course to get points. Love it!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Originally Posted by Dakster
WTF is a Beaver Nugget?
Its a bag of puffed corn covered in some type of honey glaze...and crack. Very addictive.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bridge
Its a bag of puffed corn covered in some type of honey glaze...and crack. Very addictive.
Similar to Cracker Jacks?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Originally Posted by rtazz17
Similar to Cracker Jacks?
More like a Cheeto sans the cheese.

Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
You are all making me hungry now.

-

I don't have the RV Advantage card - probably should get one and then pilot's would be a little more competitive to the other stations. I usually just top of the DEF there and they usually have some sort of fat food restaurant in them...

Old 08-21-2014, 11:17 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I typically use loves. I find they are more pleasant stops.

The routine to pay for fuel really infuriates me though. Have to wait in line TWICE and I always pre authorize $300. The waiting in line twice is what really burns me up.

With the loves professional driver card, I get a point for each gallon. 1 point is 10¢ at the cash register inside, so it's a 10¢ delayed discount on fuel. I think I have about $30 built up now.

I hate flying J, I've become frustrated with pilot. Don't know why, just don't like them as in the southeast most are just dirty and run down.

As in all things nowadays, all companies are covering their butts in every way possible so as not to get screwed in any way. The customer is never treated with respect anymore. There's no such thing as service companies extending customary business practices where honesty and integrity are expected, for all parties. Middle management has figured out how to operate with absolute zero risk, no "exposure" of any kind to either party to potentially lose money. It's how middle management folks make themselves look good to superiors so they can look good in their reviews.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bridge
Yup, very true. Business is risk. Unfortunately, businesses have embraced the concept of passing risk on to the customer in the form of inconvenience. I've driven back-n-forth between Houston and Wilmington, NC several times over the past few years and Loves, Pilot, etc always charge $.30 or $.40 more than other stations located off the interstate. You'd think they'd be making enough to mitigate their risk.
That is why I quite going to FJ/pilot because of the inflated cost per gallon. I drive an extra half mie (maybe) of I49 (71hwy) to HyVee where the give me a .05 per gallon discount just cause i go there so much and they are already at least .20 per gallon cheaper than pilot. Only reason I go to pilot is for DEF at the pump.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 AM
JandC
Junior User
We spent most of the summer traveling out west this summer and spent almost $3,000 in fuel, pulling our 5th wheel. Always use my Pilot card when possible because of the "pay-at-the-pump" and 6 cents per gallon discount. There were a few occasions that I had to use a Loves. Being familiar with those bozos I always used cash. After returning from our trip, and prior to heading out on another one, I wrote to two different district managers of Loves. The first one did not respond. I just informed them that they were missing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars in RV business because they didn't have a fuel card like Pilot did. The one manager answered me and said they had one. He was so stupid and misinformed about his own company that he didn't realize their fleet card had minimum purchase requirements and would not do RV folks any good. Just like the old saying goes "you can't fix stupid".

Old 08-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Icthus in AK
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SAMs club in Anchorage has same problem: $100 limit at the pump. Diesel is $4.02/gal. If you drive a diesel, you have a truck. If you have a truck, you have a large fuel tank (>25 gal). Therefore, if you drive a diesel, you can never fill from Empty at a Sam's.

No more $45/yr membership from me, Wal-Mart....

Quick Reply: BAD REFUEL EXPERIENCE AT LOVES