Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2014, 04:27 PM
New User

IdrinkPBR is starting off with a positive reputation.
1995 F350 "Dually" with Electrical Issue

I have a '95 dually and it has small yellow running lights on the rear fenders. The only time those lights will come on is when the headlights are on (or parking lights) and I put it in reverse. Not sure, but I would have guessed they are supposed to on when the lights are on and go out when the truck is put in reverse.

Any ideas??
Old 08-18-2014, 05:30 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
All the ones I have seen are on all the time the headlights or park lights are on. They should not go off at any time unless you turn the other lights off.

I suspect a wiring problem at a trailer plug. Seeing this is a dually, I am sure you probably have trailer plugs, and may even have one in the bed for a goose neck or 5th wheel. Some people's wiring practices are not very good if these where added in later.

If the ground for these little lights happens to be hooked to the reverse lights, they would go out when the reverse lights are activated.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 08-18-2014, 06:57 PM
New User

IdrinkPBR is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the things you mentioned. My assumption has always been that these lights would/should go out when you put the truck in reverse because I am blinded by them while backing if I'm using the mirrors, which is just about always. If that's not the case, I may try to figure out a way to set them up that way.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:57 AM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
I double checked the diagrams. They do stay on all the time with the other marker lamps. There is a relay somewhere up front that drives all these lamps on a brown/white striped wire.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 PM
New User

rickvm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Franklin, I need your help over on thread titled "Tail light, Parking light, Running Light, Dash Light Problems", page 7. Thanks, Rick
Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvm View Post
Franklin, I need your help over on thread titled "Tail light, Parking light, Running Light, Dash Light Problems", page 7. Thanks, Rick
I made a new thread topic for your post so it's easier to find. I took it out of that mile long thread.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 PM