1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, exhaust manifold repair just turned into a full blown motor swap, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:58 PM
02 Super Duty Guy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, exhaust manifold repair just turned into a full blown motor swap, need help

Have been repairing some things on the truck,2002 f250, 5.4, including the pass. exhaust manifold..few studs were snapped off in the head and needed to be drilled and ez'd out. was on the last stud, and the drill bit drilled through to the head.dont even know how because i never felt the drillbit punch through the stud so i knew to stop...long story short, my heads ruined. and since ive been having so many problems with this motor, at this point im just gonna swap it out. so my first questions of many is, how do i start? is there a sticky or tech write up of any kind? where can i find a motor? will an 04 and up motor be better than the one in there now? i have endless more questions soon to come, just overwhelmed at the moment, so any tips are appreciated and certainly welcome

Old 08-17-2014, 12:46 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you just hit the water jacket you can tap the whole way then use a set screw with thread sealant on it to seal the jacket. Then put the exhaust manifold stud in.

In 05' Ford went to the 3V engines and changed quite a few things so a swap would be much more complex with a 3V. Best to go with an 04' engine IMO because you will be ensured to have the updated heads.(added thread length in spark plug holes)

Old 08-17-2014, 08:17 AM
400Nut
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure you punched into the water jacket? Was there coolant coming out? I thought I punched thru on my 6.8 but found there was dead space behind the stud to the bottom of the hole. Probably about a half inch.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:58 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Old 08-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
If you just hit the water jacket you can tap the whole way then use a set screw with thread sealant on it to seal the jacket. Then put the exhaust manifold stud in.

In 05' Ford went to the 3V engines and changed quite a few things so a swap would be much more complex with a 3V. Best to go with an 04' engine IMO because you will be ensured to have the updated heads.(added thread length in spark plug holes)

Whoa there, I would try this first! Don't be so quick to tear out the whole engine.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Runky
Senior User
Head change

I did the same thing on my 2000 Excursion. Knew I did it because coolant starting dribbling out. Even used the left hand drill bits so I didn't need an easy out. Was able to find a low mileage head on ebay and swapped it out, complete with new chains and gears in one day. The 5.4 is really easy to time, teardown and rebuild. Best gas truck engine I've ever worked on.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Leon82
Mountain Pass
I did this on my chevy head and sealed the exhaust stud with thread sealer. It held up good. I like the idea of the set screw if you have enough thread depth

Old 08-17-2014, 01:36 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you sure the hole was blind to begin with?

Old 08-17-2014, 02:21 PM
02 Super Duty Guy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 400Nut
Are you sure you punched into the water jacket? Was there coolant coming out? I thought I punched thru on my 6.8 but found there was dead space behind the stud to the bottom of the hole. Probably about a half inch.
yea it must have juuust touched into the jacket its just a small drip but its weird...the coolant came out it seemed before the bit punched through the stud...we started small then increased the bit size, so maybe the smaller bit did go through the stud and we didn't feel it until we went up in bit size?

Old 08-17-2014, 02:24 PM
02 Super Duty Guy
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf

I was wondering if we could do that, im in the heating trade and we have all types of good thread sealants...like stuff that once its on it will literally never ever come out lol..would you be able to clarify this process a little? what could I use for a set screw? maybe cut one of the old studs down and cut a notch in it then send it in with a flat head screwdriver? or can I just put dope on the stud itself and use that for a seal?

Old 08-17-2014, 02:28 PM
02 Super Duty Guy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Runky
I did the same thing on my 2000 Excursion. Knew I did it because coolant starting dribbling out. Even used the left hand drill bits so I didn't need an easy out. Was able to find a low mileage head on ebay and swapped it out, complete with new chains and gears in one day. The 5.4 is really easy to time, teardown and rebuild. Best gas truck engine I've ever worked on.
yea I can get another head for free, but I figured id have to take the whole front of the engine apart anyways right? and my #7 cyl has been dead for like 3 years so I figured I might as well either rebuild mine or put a new motor in...maybe im just being a pus cuz it looks like so much work in such a little space

Old 08-17-2014, 02:29 PM
02 Super Duty Guy
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
what do you mean??

Old 08-17-2014, 02:41 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
If the threads are ok , sealer on the stud would be fine . Many engines have bolts entering the coolant passages that require sealant .

Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 02 Super Duty Guy
I was wondering if we could do that, im in the heating trade and we have all types of good thread sealants...like stuff that once its on it will literally never ever come out lol..would you be able to clarify this process a little? what could I use for a set screw? maybe cut one of the old studs down and cut a notch in it then send it in with a flat head screwdriver? or can I just put dope on the stud itself and use that for a seal?
I would tap straight thru with the same thread that the stud is.(metric) Then get a few standard stainless metric set screws of different lengths.(ACE hardware would probably have the set screws) Use a metric wrench to install the set screw. I would use a set screw long enough that the stud can be screwed tight against it to prevent loosening. Use a good thread sealant that can handle handle some heat and coolant exposure and you should be good. The combination of the sealant and stud up against the set screw should keep it in place permanently.

Originally Posted by JWC 3
If the threads are ok , sealer on the stud would be fine . Many engines have bolts entering the coolant passages that require sealant .
Good point. The stud does have a shoulder and about 5/8"-3/4" of the stud screws into the head so that should seal fine with sealant.(with good threads in the hole)

Originally Posted by TexasRebel
They are blind holes.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:05 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks man! When you drill you really should mark the bit with how far you want to go (Use an old stud as reference). OR get one of these

General Tools & Instruments S838 6 Piece 3/16-Inch to 1/2-Inch Drill Stop Assortment - Power Drill Accessories - Amazon.com General Tools & Instruments S838 6 Piece 3/16-Inch to 1/2-Inch Drill Stop Assortment - Power Drill Accessories - Amazon.com

Hindsight is always 20-20 I guess! Interested to see what you do.

Quick Reply: Well, exhaust manifold repair just turned into a full blown motor swap, need help