Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump replacement on a '92 460 - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 04:40 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
is there anything wrong with not changing the water pump even though im putting a new radiator? the pump is not leaking but i read somewhere that the pump is changed when radiator is replaced.

the radiator is off and so is the AC bracket as i am replacing the power steering pump.

i do have the new pump but didn't want to get into more work if is not necessary. I'm really concerned that i will get a leak behind the aluminum backing plate (timing chain cover) when it is disturbed during water pump replacement

thoughts?

Old 08-16-2014, 04:53 PM
krooser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler
is there anything wrong with not changing the water pump even though im putting a new radiator? the pump is not leaking but i read somewhere that the pump is changed when radiator is replaced.

the radiator is off and so is the AC bracket as i am replacing the power steering pump.

i do have the new pump but didn't want to get into more work if is not necessary. I'm really concerned that i will get a leak behind the aluminum backing plate (timing chain cover) when it is disturbed during water pump replacement

thoughts?
Fix what's broke…

I used to be the 'might as well guy'… well I don't have that kind of budget anymore so I only do what's needed. Sure you MAY need to have that pump replaced next year but, for now, the old one is working well so leave it as-is.

When I picked up my freebie F-350 in LA last month two guys told me I should change the water pump because I had two soft rad hoses and the truck hadn't run in 10 years. I was driving 2200 back home… the old pump made the trip and still is OK.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:57 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Someday you will have to, but it may be a long time before that day gets here. My truck went about 160,000 on the first pump. I have a friend with a 93. He has just short of 300,000 on his and still going. Farm truck went about 220,000. All these trucks had 460s in them. I'm a bit of a gambler on these things and if it were me I'd try to get a few more miles out of the on that's on it. It really doesn't take all that long to pull all the stuff off to get to the pump and when you put it back anti-seeze every bolt and that will make it that much easier.
As far as the new rad making the old pump fail, I don't see how that could possibly have anything to do with it.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:03 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
true..... the might as well replace is now starting go nickle and dime me. I purchased the water pump last month thinking "i might as well replace it since i am replacing the radiator". If I don't change and keep this new water pump in box, will it go bad (seals harden) over time just sitting there?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:08 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
It will last a long time in the box as long as it's stored in a dry and not too hot place. Heck, it may have been in a warehouse somewhere else for years already! Who really knows?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:15 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
ate there seals that can go bad over time just sitting in a box?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:21 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Maybe after 20 years or so. Don't worry about it too much. It will be in good shape when you get ready to use it. You might want to throw a little paint on it to keep the surface rust under control but other than that it will be just fine for many years.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:23 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Oh yea, if it came with gaskets they can get old and brittle but new ones are cheap!

Old 08-17-2014, 05:55 PM
SSBB
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got done doing the exact same thing. The biggest issue I had was with the small hose going from the oil cooler to the water pump. it took me removing the oil cooler and putting the hose on it first then slide the other end on the h2o pump and re seat the cooler. It took me 3 days to get the entire cooling system redone in my drive way. It will be quicker next time. My biggest thing would be to have all of the tools ready before you dig in. PM me if you plan on doing this in the future and I will make a list of things for you, if you don't already.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:40 AM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
SSBB....thanks for the input. I did replace that same hose last month when I replaced all hoses. I, too, had to remove the oil cooler. I purchased new O rings (1 large, 1 small) for the cooler before I removed so I had them on hand when I removed cooler. I agree, next time, it will be much easier as I will NOT attempt to replace that short hose without removing the cooler....so MUCH easier when you remove the cooler!

I would think you could get the hose on when installing the water pump without removing the cooler?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:58 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Most people never bother to put that cooler back.
They are notorious for leaking.

And a water leak into the oil is bad juju.
It sinks to the bottom of the pan and gets picked up first thing the next time you start the engine.
Then you have nothing but a "milkshake"
Bye bye bottom end.

I doubt I'd go out of my way to remove one if it was functional, but there's no way I would remove one and put it back on.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:09 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
I thought about not putting it back on. However, I never fully could determine how fequent the problem really is (failure rate). There are thousands of these trucks on the road that probably never see a problem.

I was concerned about losing the benefit of engine oil cooling, especially since I live in a hot climate (yesterday was 105!) and will be towing. It appeared to be in good shape with no signs of corrosion as I looked inside of it. I do understand the potentially BAD situation of it failing and water entering the engine oil.

I still think about it and may remove it later on. My truck only has 59K original miles.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I think it's the idea of proper coolant changes on a 22 Y.O. vehicle...
But if you say it's sound then keep driving it!

The 385 series has been around since the late 1960's.
I really haven't seen any history of oil failing due to overheating in these engines.
370's and 429's in medium trucks get abused far more than any of us could even consider in a pickup.

Still amazing you have found such a creampuff truck in that configuration.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:50 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
It appears it was well taken care of. Yes, I was fortunate to have found it so clean and with low miles. I only wish it was a 4X4!
Thanks

Old 08-18-2014, 03:00 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

There's another project for you.

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement on a '92 460 - a few questions