The Carnage Has Begun

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I agree "I'm impressed!"
I am glad you at least got the truck back on the road. Sure the engine might have issues but the truck is rolling down the road.
Thanks for the props! Yeah the truck is at least drivable now. It sure smokes like a freight train when it's cold though.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:17 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That price does seem a bit on the high side. I was at 1200 for the machining cam bearings installed and heads r&r'd though all they had to supply was the valve seats and springs. The rest of the hard parts came from riff raff

Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 PM
entropyjones
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
But pics of an engine pull are boring, unless there's a connecting rod sticking out somewhere or something like that.
That's how my 6.5l chevy died. Never want to see that again.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by entropyjones
That's how my 6.5l chevy died. Never want to see that again.
I had an old 6.2 toss a rod out the side years ago. It wasn't a good experience, lol.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:33 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Welp, here's a quick update on this saga. The block, main bearing caps and pistons/con rods/bearing caps are now at the machine shop for cleaning and inspection. May need to bore the block .010" due to my own airheaded mistake. I wiped down the cylinder walls with clean engine oil and covered up the block while I was waiting for the right time to get to work on it. Apparently, I wiped down the same cylinder bank twice. One bank had a pretty fair amount of surface rust, the other was fine. D'oh!

Old 03-01-2015, 01:43 PM
hotrodfeguy
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still love your write up and pics on this whole rebuild. I do boring and headwork. I just have never done a Powerstroke. So I am watching

Old 05-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Latest update: I went over to the machine shop Friday to see what exactly they'd managed to accomplish in the three months my engine had been there. I found my block, pistons, bearing caps, etc. sitting in precisely the same place they were when we unloaded them back in February. Needless to say, I launched a few choice words in the owner's general direction, and told them to load my property into my truck so I can find a shop that's both capable of doing the work, and wants my money.

To put the icing on the cake, the old engine suddenly started making a gnarly knocking noise this morning, from somewhere in the area of cylinder 2. I'm so far beyond pissed off right now, I'd have to take a train to get back to pissed off.

In case anyone wants to know, the machine shop that did absolutely nothing in three months is Larry's Auto Machine, on Leonard Dr. in Groton, CT. In talking to other people locally, it seems they have a reputation for pulling this crap.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:26 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Holy crap man!!! I think I would have bent a con rod over his head!!

Smokie

Old 05-26-2015, 12:17 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
...I found my block, pistons, bearing caps, etc. sitting in precisely the same place they were when we unloaded them back in February...
Dude, that SUCKS!

Find another shop, then send a letter to Larry telling him he gets to pay the "expedite fee" for the other shop to start immediately.

You can't get the 3 months of time back, but at least that could help you get your engine back sooner and "encourage" Larry to not pull that BS on anyone else!

How far is Connecticut?

When he looks outside and sees about a hundred Superduty Trucks parked outside, he may just start to feel like "Custer" when the Indians started to circle, LOL.

Good luck on finding a responsible shop

Old 05-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
In retrospect, I should have known better. This is the same shop I had check the crankshaft for straightness. It took several phone calls to get them to do anything. After this fiasco, I'm questioning their findings because I have a sneaking suspicion they didn't do anything at all, and just lied to me, telling me it was bent. I'm going to have another shop recheck it, and if they find it to be straight, there's going to be a spirited conversation regarding getting my money back immediately.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:23 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Larry's Auto Machine, on Leonard Dr. in Groton, CT.
I was going to say, "Yelp is your friend."

Then I went to their Yelp listing and found you'd already been there!

Good on YOU for that! Maybe some other unsuspecting schmuck will at least do a pass.

Kinda' looks like they do a lot of ricer stuff, which yours is obviously not.

Read the "take a train" expression to my wife for a good laugh!

Pop

Old 05-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I was going to say, "Yelp is your friend."

Then I went to their Yelp listing and found you'd already been there!

Good on YOU for that! Maybe some other unsuspecting schmuck will at least do a pass.

Kinda' looks like they do a lot of ricer stuff, which yours is obviously not.

Read the "take a train" expression to my wife for a good laugh!

Pop
I believe they do a lot of race engines, too. That seems to be the crux of the problem, from what I'm hearing around town. If your engine is there and a race team brings an engine in, your engine gets ignored. I've not heard a single complaint about the quality of their work, but I guess I'll never know.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:21 PM
River19
Elder User
I believe they do a lot of race engines, too. That seems to be the crux of the problem, from what I'm hearing around town. If your engine is there and a race team brings an engine in, your engine gets ignored. I've not heard a single complaint about the quality of their work, but I guess I'll never know.

In order to do quality work, you need to DO work.

That is frustrating as hell man, I hope you have better days ahead.

Ironically you are only about 90mins from me during the week.

Worse case scenario there is a decent diesel shop in MA that I've used, but I'm not sure whether they can bang out what you need done.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:59 PM
hotrodfeguy
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have not heard anything on this in a while whats new?

Old 09-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
The original engine (that went back in the truck when the salvage engine came out) started clattering pretty badly, so that one came out and a spare-spare engine went in. The salvage yard engine will go to a different machine shop to get the work done, but it's gonna be a while on that. Probably around the first of the year.

Quick Reply: The Carnage Has Begun