U-Haul can be so funny!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:28 PM
CougarXR02
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GLR
Years back we were moving son's 1970 F100 longbed from Columbus, OH to NY. Did the reservation thing , everything ok until we go to pick up the car trailer. They said the truck would not fit on it and would not rent to us. Went to another Uhaul dealer and said we would be putting a 81 LTD-Crown Vic on the trailer. No problem with the rental and we got the truck on the trailer that they said wouldn't fit. The truck is in NY now. Towed with my 86 F250.

I've done the same thing. I had to move an AWD Astro van (4800 lbs curb weight). I showed up with my dad's 08 E-350 with class III frame hitch. So we go to hook it up and the guy reads the sticker and it somehow is a Curt class III hitch that is only rated for 6000 weight carrying/8000 lbs weight distributing. (Not sure why this hitch is even manufactured.) Needless to say that put me at 6800 lbs and no go on the rental.

So 2 weeks later i used a different U-Haul location and reserved the auto transport to move a "2000 Chevy Cavalier". No problems. I suppose you just need to fudge the numbers a bit before you get there.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I have always had good luck with u haul. Maybe because I you used them enough.

I go online and check with what I want to tow and if it says I can't then I adjust online so when I am there in person I know what to say is all.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:16 PM
CougarXR02
Elder User
I also agree with you Scott in regards to checking ahead online. And I too have had good luck over all with U-haul rentals.

There was one time. . . I was going to help my sister move from Syracuse, NY to a few towns south of Syracuse. I live ~4 hours away. So instead of wasting the gas and tolls of renting local and towing it all the way there, I reserved a 6x12 enclosed trailer online at a Syracuse full service U-Haul center. At the time I had my B4000 with the towing and heavy payload package (i towed my 24' fifth wheels with it). The online booking system showed the 6x12 enclosed as available with my truck as it was and extended cab with a factory class III hitch. So we get up early, drive the 220 miles, get there to pick it up, the nice employee was helpful and we hooked it all up, everything good. Went inside to sign the paper contract and finalize the rental. . . At that point the computer inside says my B4000 is not heavy enough to tow the 6x12. Even though the online booking system said it was available with my tow vehicle. So we had to go outside and unhook the nice, newish 6x12 trailer, and go pick out an old, beat up 5x11 trailer. At which point I had to fix up some of the light wiring for them so I could get the hell out of there and get the move going.

Again, lesson learned. A few years later, I had to move that same sister back home. So I had a buddy with an F-150 go with me to rent the 6x12 trailer. Then brought it back to our work to switch it over to my truck for the trip up to NY.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:59 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful, fudging the numbers will create BIG issues in an accident though

Old 08-22-2014, 06:30 AM
senix
Super Moderator
U-Haul has recently brought on some newer car trailers that are rated higher now.

But I haven't used one in about 6 months though. So not sure how many are out there now.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:15 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have not had good experiences with U Haul either...a few years ago we did the online thing and ordered a Uhaul Truck and trailer to move to a new place. A nearby U Haul business confirmed the reservation and said they had them...We got there the morning we were loading up and we look around, no truck/trailer...After wating for them to open, we asked about the truck and pointed out our reservation....The kind lady said she had them available....70 miles away in another town! We would have to drive there and pick them up!! Of course they would also then charge us the mileage to drive it back...My wife, was P.O.ed to no end.. She went off of the poor lady.
Ultimately, we went to another rental store in town and found what we needed.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 AM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Our large Uhaul is a really swanky place, one of the largest Uhauls around. So I've always had great service there. Here's the thing I find though, everyone is a big talker on how horrible U-Haul is, but have no idea what really is involved in being in that kind of business. 50 state legality and liability. Costs of maintaining inventory at a price that cheapskates will purchase at. The fact that most people don't really know how to tow large items at all, I'm surprised the system if viable at all to be honest. Being in the transport industry at one time, I can say that people suck.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:25 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Wait, are you not people ?!? so YOU suck ???

And telling a bunch of truck owners that they don't know what they are talking about is not a good way to make friends

some of us DO have a clue... and experience, and businesses, and trailers ...

Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 AM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Wait, are you not people ?!? so YOU suck ???

And telling a bunch of truck owners that they don't know what they are talking about is not a good way to make friends

some of us DO have a clue...
Yes I do suck, I am human, I'm tended to my bitchy moments . No one deserves to deal with me in a bad mood. .

So what you're saying is not agreeing with everyone is not a way to make friends? Please tell me more about how the world works. Here's the thing, everyone thinks they are an expert. When any of you here start a trailer and truck rental company, make it nationwide, and profitable, without any lawsuits due to not covering all the legal issues that can come out of it, you're then more than free to blast U-Haul for their measures.

That said, obviously some of the stories here don't show U-Haul's problem, but moreso the local working people (back to previous post where people suck). The people being outlined here don't do their jobs to their fullest, or even half way. Trucks and trailers are supposed to be thoroughly inspected. There's a reason why limits are listed. The person running an E-350 with a class III that fudges the numbers to get a heavy truck on the trailer is one of the reasons why all these legalities exist! So don't tell me people don't suck.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Good thread. Lets keep it that way:

2. Personal Conduct . Post language and material suitable for the home or office. Do not post foul language, racial epithets or sexually explicit content in any form. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Posting for the purpose of gaining access to additional features of the site is not allowed.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:03 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by heymrdj
Yes I do suck, I am human, I'm tended to my bitchy moments . No one deserves to deal with me in a bad mood. .

So what you're saying is not agreeing with everyone is not a way to make friends? Please tell me more about how the world works. Here's the thing, everyone thinks they are an expert. When any of you here start a trailer and truck rental company, make it nationwide, and profitable, without any lawsuits due to not covering all the legal issues that can come out of it, you're then more than free to blast U-Haul for their measures.

That said, obviously some of the stories here don't show U-Haul's problem, but moreso the local working people (back to previous post where people suck). The people being outlined here don't do their jobs to their fullest, or even half way. Trucks and trailers are supposed to be thoroughly inspected. There's a reason why limits are listed. The person running an E-350 with a class III that fudges the numbers to get a heavy truck on the trailer is one of the reasons why all these legalities exist! So don't tell me people don't suck.
Nope - just telling you what some may read in your post

and please note, I'm the one that posted fudging the numbers was not a good idea.... no harm - no foul...

Old 09-15-2014, 10:06 AM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Nope - just telling you what some may read in your post

and please note, I'm the one that posted fudging the numbers was not a good idea.... no harm - no foul...
I did not notice that, I apologize for the blasting. I'm sorry if my 2 cents came out rough. I'll discount it to 1 cent.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 AM
niner
Junior User
UHaul is the big name for renting, so it's not surprise that they get most of the people who don't really know about towing, other than they use that square hole on the back of their truck.

That said, for the same reason as others, I generally don't rent from them. I had to pick up a parts truck from about 20 miles away. Of course, the UHaul system doesn't have a way to put in "truck that is already missing significant weight" so towing a supercab F150 with my short bed, short cab, 4.2L engine was not going to fly. I rented from a local place that most people would drive past - old beaten up trailer but it got the job done. I was actually surprised at how well the trailer towed - I figured I would either end up with the weight far enough forward and the truck overweighted, or the trailer tongue-light. Ended up just right.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:47 PM
srteach
Elder User
I rented a 26 foot uHaul truck once for a cross country move (me, wife, 9 kids and 4 vehicles). Got to the middle of nowhere and the brakes blew out. New brake job on it. The idiots put the brake pads in with the backing plate (not the friction material) against the disc. The friction material smashed until the brake cylinders blew the seal out and the brakes bled to death.

A packed to the gills 26 foot truck with loaded car hauler behind it is an interesting butt puckering experience when trying to stop with no brakes.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Do they still make you sign papers where the fine print says you "will not exceed 45 mph"??? It's been over 20 years since I have dealt with them last.. That's still not long enough...

Quick Reply: U-Haul can be so funny!