1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F4 V8 to Mercedes diesel build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:01 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
Ray and 38 coupe. Here is a better photo of the front crossmember and transmission mount for the Brownie.
Mark
Thanks for the picture. That is a nice looking installation.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:46 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
I made a little progress this past Saturday. I pulled the engine so I could finish bolting the new crossmember in place. When that's done I can repaint the front of the frame. While the engine is out I will change a number of leaking gaskets and clean it up really well. I will also drill the manifolds for the sender for the turbo boost gauge and the probe for the exhaust temp gauge. Tomorrow, my plan is to take my flywheel to Springfield Missouri to have it match balanced to the Mercedes flywheel and also drop my clutch and pressure plate off to have them rebuilt. I am taking three discs and four pressure plates, they told me they would look them over and rebuild the best one of each. Friday I took my six 19.5 wheels to the powder coater to have them done. I am having them coated in red to match the cab and hood since I am painting the fenders and the Ford script bed black. My youngest son is paying for 1/2 of the powder coating for my Christmas present. I will post pics of the wheels when I get them back in a couple of weeks, and of the engine when I get it back in.
Thanks, Mark

Old 02-02-2015, 06:27 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Sounds like good progress. I look forward to the pictures.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:58 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
While the engine is out I will change a number of leaking gaskets and clean it up really well.
Good luck drying up a MB diesel, I've had 5 of them and they always leave their mark.
The install is looking great, glad to see someone else utilizing the MB diesel, they're cheap, plentiful and run forever.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:16 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Thanks, Fred I will post new photos as soon as I have something.
Jeff, Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure that I can stop all the oil leaks, but maybe I can slow them down.
I dropped my clutch and pressure plate off today to have them rebuilt. I also dropped off my flywheels to have them match balanced. I should have everything back in a week or so.
Thanks again, Mark

Old 02-03-2015, 10:57 PM
CAMiniTruck
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a photo of the shut off valve that I made for the Mercedes engine. The Mercedes engine shuts off by vacuum. The valve fastened on the side is from the ignition switch in the donor car. The switch on the end is to complete the circuit for the starter button. This unit mounts in the hole in the dash for the choke cable. Turning on the key switch energizes the glow plugs for the diesel. Pulling out this **** closes the vacuum to the injector pump so the engine will run and completes the circuit for the starter button so the engine can be started. To shut off the engine, turn off the key switch and push in this ****.
Thanks, Mark
Kudos for a very slick solution!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:38 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
CAMiniTruck, Thank you for the reply. Part of my reasoning for the switch on the end of the valve assembly, if for some reason the system lost vacuum, the truck could be started just by pushing the starter button since on a pre'52 truck it is energized all the time. My concern isn't that someone could steal it, but a child or someone accidently pushing the starter button and it starting in gear. I guess I could have used a '52 starter button and energized it with the ignition switch.
Thanks again, Mark

Old 02-07-2015, 08:34 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
I picked up my flywheels this morning after having them match balanced. I am really glad that I marked the Mercedes flywheel for position before I took it off. Most everything that I have read says that the Mercedes flywheel is neutral balanced, but you should mark them just in case. Well, my Mercedes flywheel actually has several grams of inbalance. Now the Ford flywheel is balanced to match the Mercedes and properly marked so I can reinstall it correctly. As soon as I get my clutch and pressure plate back from the rebuilder and I get the engine cleaned up and resealed, I can reinstall it permanently.
Mark

Old 02-08-2015, 12:25 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't hardly wait for the Unveil. Gonna be so cool.
Bring it on.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:17 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Thanks! Arctic. I am getting anxious myself. I hope to hear it run real soon.
Mark

Old 02-08-2015, 06:37 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro

This is a photo of the shut off valve that I made for the Mercedes engine. The Mercedes engine shuts off by vacuum. The valve fastened on the side is from the ignition switch in the donor car. The switch on the end is to complete the circuit for the starter button. This unit mounts in the hole in the dash for the choke cable. Turning on the key switch energizes the glow plugs for the diesel. Pulling out this **** closes the vacuum to the injector pump so the engine will run and completes the circuit for the starter button so the engine can be started. To shut off the engine, turn off the key switch and push in this ****.
Thanks, Mark
When trying to figure out the question of the vacuum shutdown on my 53, I used the turbo overboost valve from the 84 300SD for the vacuum switch. You could also use an air toggle switch, which there is one hidden on my truck, just for security when parked in questionable places.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:29 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Jeff, Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about a hidden shut off valve, good idea, I will have to think on that some more. Did you remove the ALDA on your diesel? I have mine adjusted to were I think it is actually disabled. It sure woke the car up when I adjusted it. I was told, IIRC, if I leave it on and remove the solenoid over boost valve you are talking about, to just run to line directly from the pressure sensor on the intake to the ALDA. Your thoughts?
Thanks again, Mark

Old 02-08-2015, 09:04 PM
christurney77
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark,
My ALDA is not hooked up right now. It does smoke alot more when you mash the accelerator, but seems to have much more power. I still need to figure out how much vacuum I need to the transmission. It shifts really hard right now.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:36 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Jeff, Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about a hidden shut off valve, good idea, I will have to think on that some more. Did you remove the ALDA on your diesel? I have mine adjusted to were I think it is actually disabled. It sure woke the car up when I adjusted it. I was told, IIRC, if I leave it on and remove the solenoid over boost valve you are talking about, to just run to line directly from the pressure sensor on the intake to the ALDA. Your thoughts?
Thanks again, Mark
The ALDA is backed off on my engine, never really saw the need for it, just there to appease the tree huggers.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:39 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by christurney77
Mark,
My ALDA is not hooked up right now. It does smoke alot more when you mash the accelerator, but seems to have much more power. I still need to figure out how much vacuum I need to the transmission. It shifts really hard right now.
Chris, on my swap I used a green and white vacuum orfice from the 300SD to soften the harsh shifts of the MB trans. It really wasn't that noticeable in the car because of the rubber dampened driveshaft.

Quick Reply: 1949 F4 V8 to Mercedes diesel build thread