1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

"High Voltage" Theft Deterent?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
a few years ago we had a 4 some steeling copper out of an older Budweiser yeast factors that was closed down.
they got the bright idea to take the large copper buss bars off the transformer.
the local cops went investigating a report of an explosion at the plant and found what was left of the 4 guys.

seems they climbed up on top of the 36KV transformer and grabbed the buss bars not knowing the transformer was still live.

i guess they figured since the wires were not connect between the building and the buss bars the underground wires from the high tension tower to the transformer were not connected either.
Man scary! I think we ought to transform this into how to scare the tar outta the would be perp....

Old 07-29-2014, 09:03 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Spktyr
If you install such a device and the person dies, you are looking at at least a manslaughter charge with *no* defense - especially since you have posted the above here, which in this tech enlightened time would be used against you at your trial as evidence of premeditation.
I say, careful guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, gotta be careful what you put on the internetssss.

Its a good thing I'm broke, have nothing worth stealing, and don't plan on hurting anyone or else I bet the lawyer would just show up with an FTE file in hand. LOL

Funny story tho Tom. The first one.
The second one is scary, but I've seen it happen. We had some people die while trying to steal copper wires from a burnt down barn.

Scrap yards around here require paperwork of where you got some of the more precious metals.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:02 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,173 Posts
same here Alex. after the rash of thefts here over the past few years, you now have to give the scrap yard a valid drivers license.
this has cut way down on thefts, because the dirtbags can not get rid of their loot.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Mr. Electrician
New User
All I have to do. To sell my scrap copper is show my electrical licenses . But any body that wants to sell copper, all you got to do here is go to your local police station and feel out a form and you get a copper license. Good friend of mine runs a scrap yard and he tells me he makes copy's of the copper card and I'd and calls the law when he thinks they steeling and the law said if they got a copper card they ok. .
He calls me up often and sells me full rolls of wire for half the cost and he is still making money.
Like he said, if he don't buy it they just go somewhere else.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Royson12
Posting Guru
I was calmed down about the whole idea? And, just for the record, I never was meaning to kill. Just teach acrobatics, and make them sound the audible alarm. LOL Now if I caught them red handed, it would be hard not to just beat the **** out of them!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:22 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Royson12
I was calmed down about the whole idea? And, just for the record, I never was meaning to kill. Just teach acrobatics, and make them sound the audible alarm. LOL Now if I caught them red handed, it would be hard not to just beat the **** out of them!
Funny thing is that you can do far worse things to them if you are there in person than you can with a device or trap left unattended. Either way, you don't even have to intend to kill - just the intent to do something that a reasonable person would know could cause significant injury (not just death, but injury!) means your device would be illegal.

I'd suggest a locking bed cap with solid panels instead of glass, plus deeply tinted windows so people can't see inside.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:49 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Spktyr
Funny thing is that you can do far worse things to them if you are there in person than you can with a device or trap left unattended. Either way, you don't even have to intend to kill - just the intent to do something that a reasonable person would know could cause significant injury (not just death, but injury!) means your device would be illegal.

I'd suggest a locking bed cap with solid panels instead of glass, plus deeply tinted windows so people can't see inside.
Well, actually, I am in the process of putting together a solid 7.3 over the road work truck. I has flat welding bed locking boxes ect. I allready pull a 16' enclosed trailer. Just sucks you have to go to such lengths these days to keep you stuff safe.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Bob Cat
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Royson12
Just sucks you have to go to such lengths these days to keep you stuff safe.
Unfortunately that's the world we live in today. Several years ago I had a person that worked for me for one day.......

By the next morning my truck had been stripped of everything in it. I couldn't prove it and the cop's did nothing.

I had to replace my entire lively hood of tools.

That stings.