1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
On one hand, Ford engineers where the geniuses to put a snorkel on the intake of my Focus that has no purpose but to apparently make the car idle rough. That was gone 14k miles ago. On the other, International put a restriction gauge between the turbo and air filter, and if it never moves then the air filter must not be a restriction. because the turbo still isn't pulling it's max amount of air.

On a 6.0 it's lighting $20s on fire to put in a CAI, especially if you watch IAT1 and your "cold" air intake causes intake temps to increase. On a 7.3, eh the stock filter was marginal but probably fine for stock power levels of 210HP when the PS came out, maybe not at 275HP. On a Triton, using an oiled K&N would more likely junk up your MAF than actually gain you anything.
Of course there have been mistakes here and there and I think all the big names; Sony, Caterpillar, GMC, Hoover, Dell, Motorola, etc have all made a mistake here and there. What most people don't realize is that the only time a filter could be restrictive is at extremely high RPM and that is normally if it is dirty.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
using an oiled K&N would more likely junk up your MAF than actually gain you anything.
sad thing is ive seen people constantly bad mouth K&N for being oiled when theres multiple aftermarket company's that make Oiled filters... but yet no one says a thing about them... they seem to just enjoy bad mouthing K&N... not saying you are texastech.. just saying im tired of seeing K&N being the only one getting picked on in this regards...

As to the coating of the MAF... ive only seen a few references to this happening with the filter right out of the box... more times than not.. when ive seen people complain about the MAF coating issue. its due to people over oiling them after theyve cleaned it..

Old 08-02-2014, 01:23 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
That oiling idea started back in the forties so it must work but they didn't have anything you could contaminate back then and for the next 30-40 years. The filters actually had a pool of oil in the bottom of the housing.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:26 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
That oiling idea started back in the forties so it must work but they didn't have anything you could contaminate back then and for the next 30-40 years, and the dirt could check in but not check out.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:15 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
sad thing is ive seen people constantly bad mouth K&N for being oiled when theres multiple aftermarket company's that make Oiled filters... but yet no one says a thing about them... they seem to just enjoy bad mouthing K&N... not saying you are texastech.. just saying im tired of seeing K&N being the only one getting picked on in this regards...

As to the coating of the MAF... ive only seen a few references to this happening with the filter right out of the box... more times than not.. when ive seen people complain about the MAF coating issue. its due to people over oiling them after theyve cleaned it..
K&N had a run of filters years ago that came out of the factory grossly over oiled. This caused issues. As you said then there are guys that put on entirely too much oil despite the oiling directions. In the right applications they work fine. Just don't expect much of anything in the realm of extra power or mpg. Some internet "experts" have nothing better to do than complain about them.
Remember the definition of an expert?
Ex = A ‘has been’
Spurt = A ‘drip under pressure’

Old 08-02-2014, 05:26 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dkf
K&N had a run of filters years ago that came out of the factory grossly over oiled. This caused issues. As you said then there are guys that put on entirely too much oil despite the oiling directions. In the right applications they work fine. Just don't expect much of anything in the realm of extra power or mpg. Some internet "experts" have nothing better to do than complain about them.
So why even bother with them

Are you an expert ?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:28 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by EXv10
So why even bother with them

Are you an expert ?
I have my reasons which frankly are none of your business. You said you are an expert in the other post and frankly I have always thought the definition I posted has fit you well. The fact that people have preferences you may not agree with seems to be too difficult for you to grasp, thus the constant need to try and impose your "expert" on everyone else.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by dkf
i never did for either... in the mustang i did just a drop in due to i was wanting a better filter... i did have a MPG improvement... but i linked that more to the fact i ripped off the restrictive air silencer there...

2 reasons i changed to the CAI on the truck (btw i dont believe any of them short of a ram air setup as being a true CAI)... 1 being i hated the stock filters design.. was a PITA for me to get it out when i went to first inspect it after buying the truck... 2nd reason.. filter and the inlet were both packed with mud.. i swear the PO had to of taken the truck off roading.. took me over a month to get all the mud off the underside.. Saw improvement there in MPG but as ive said prior on here.. i linked that due to the original filter being plugged with mud and other crap..

Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 PM
dkf
Hotshot
i never did for either... in the mustang i did just a drop in due to i was wanting a better filter... i did have a MPG improvement... but i linked that more to the fact i ripped off the restrictive air silencer there...

2 reasons i changed to the CAI on the truck (btw i dont believe any of them short of a ram air setup as being a true CAI)... 1 being i hated the stock filters design.. was a PITA for me to get it out when i went to first inspect it after buying the truck... 2nd reason.. filter and the inlet were both packed with mud.. i swear the PO had to of taken the truck off roading.. took me over a month to get all the mud off the underside.. Saw improvement there in MPG but as ive said prior on here.. i linked that due to the original filter being plugged with mud and other crap..
Similar here. My stock airbox had the prongs on the bottom that made lining up the clamp a PITA. Plus the MAF was harder to get at for service. I did clip the prongs which made lining up the clamp easier. Plus the snorkel was smack dab against the sheetmetal. Then there was the tighter tube bends and PITA to clean accordian. It is nice to not have to run to the store for a filter.

My truck is tuned taking account for the intake. There is some power improvement but not something that you can really see without a chassis dyno. I do run the outerwears.(which I recommend if one is available for your filter) It beads water and keeps the pleats clean. I monitor intake temps and I have not seen any real difference in the temps vs stock. Temp is ambient or below ambient when running. The tube is inspected at the annual MAF clean.

In a back issue of a Ford Perf mag I had they ditched the stock airbox snorkel on an F-150 4.6l and picked up 4 or 5 tq on the chassis dyno.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:05 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
That oiling idea started back in the forties so it must work
Oil bath air filter works great on my '49 Farmall, you should see how much sediment fills up the bowl. But I don't think the carb cares if a little too much gets by

Old 08-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by dkf
Similar here. My stock airbox had the prongs on the bottom that made lining up the clamp a PITA. Plus the MAF was harder to get at for service. I did clip the prongs which made lining up the clamp easier. Plus the snorkel was smack dab against the sheetmetal. Then there was the tighter tube bends and PITA to clean accordian. It is nice to not have to run to the store for a filter.
my problem was i couldnt get it out to begin with... the end caps at first i couldnt get off the filter like they were caught under the filter... when i did get them off i moved onto the filter itself.. the little feet that hold the filter in the mounting bracket were frozen in there.. even with a long crow bar and using the radiator support as a leverage point i couldnt get it to budge.. once i got the mounting bracket out i had to stand on it and yank on it till it popped loose...

Originally Posted by dkf
My truck is tuned taking account for the intake. There is some power improvement but not something that you can really see without a chassis dyno. I do run the outerwears.(which I recommend if one is available for your filter) It beads water and keeps the pleats clean. I monitor intake temps and I have not seen any real difference in the temps vs stock. Temp is ambient or below ambient when running. The tube is inspected at the annual MAF clean.
you referring to those filter socks like they have on those sandhog rigs?? ive thought about them..

Old 08-02-2014, 06:41 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dkf
I have my reasons which frankly are none of your business. You said you are an expert in the other post and frankly I have always thought the definition I posted has fit you well. The fact that people have preferences you may not agree with seems to be too difficult for you to grasp, thus the constant need to try and impose your "expert" on everyone else.
Oh I get, you are an expert but I'm not............I see.
Oh wait a minute, expert at what?........lol

And get rid of that stupid bouncing Betty.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 PM
dkf
Hotshot
you referring to those filter socks like they have on those sandhog rigs?? ive thought about them..
Yeah. They are for the conical, cylindrical and etc shaped filters. I don't think they are available for the flat filters. Only downside I have found to them is the elastic wears out over time. Mine is due to have new elastic sewn on. I don't have to pick bugs out of pleats anymore.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by dkf
Yeah. They are for the conical, cylindrical and etc shaped filters. I don't think they are available for the flat filters. Only downside I have found to them is the elastic wears out over time. Mine is due to have new elastic sewn on. I don't have to pick bugs out of pleats anymore.
thought so... theres some that even use draw strings to tighten them with... i could get one for the truck... but the stang since it was a drop in i couldnt...

Old 08-02-2014, 07:15 PM
dkf
Hotshot
thought so... theres some that even use draw strings to tighten them with... i could get one for the truck... but the stang since it was a drop in i couldnt...
A draw string would probably be better than elastic. The truck should like one.

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes