Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Want to change to AT tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
They cease being rubber bands if you run oversize and especially if you go with gnarly tread. If you can see a big sidewall, they ain't rubber bands. (But see my comments regarding the cost of squirming and heating up tread rubber in terms of gas mileage--and huge rotating weight won't help with any kind of performance.)

What gets me is the "bling" guys who put 26" wheels on their Hummers and really run rubber bands....first chuckhole and the tire (and maybe the wheel) are gone. Or scrape a curb when parking and destroy the lip on the wheel. I just feel there is some kind of short circuit when people take a burly 4WD vehicle and make it unsuitable for anything but driving down a smooth road...and hang all kinds of useless chrome junk on it as well. (Yeah, you really need a brush guard and screens on the tail lights with 26" wheels. And you gotta have the "26" chrome numbers on the truck to make sure people know how cool you are.) I like trucks that make sense for doing something truck-like.

The Raptor has a good visual wheel/tire balance using 35" tires on 17" rims. Macho bling for parking at the mall, but made to actually work well off-road.

George

Old 07-25-2014, 11:33 PM
bakon
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just picked up FX4 with 20's. Measured out at about 31 inch diameter, same as the 18" is stock.
The Perelli is nice looking tire but how is it in snow?

Those of you with bigger 20', can you measure the diameter for me?

I want to still get truck in garage on occasion to thaw out in winter and only clearing by couple inches now.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:37 PM
bakon
Elder User
I also like to know about the level kit. Front or rear and what is changed? Didn't notice it wasn't level???

I did not buy the trucks for the 20's, I wanted the 3.73 rear end and this was only second FX4 loaded with the other stuff I wanted that I could find in 4 months of looking. Dealer did a search one time in May and only 1 in 500 mile radias and wrong color.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:40 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bakon
Just picked up FX4 with 20's. Measured out at about 31 inch diameter, same as the 18" is stock.

I want to still get truck in garage on occasion to thaw out in winter and only clearing by couple inches now.
I use a spreadsheet to calculate diameters, but tirerack.com has spec tables for all the tires they sell, so you can check out diameters in the spec tables (sometimes a bit different than the calculated number) for any size you're considering. And they list tire weights also. A taller tire or a heavier tire will hurt acceleration and braking as well as gas mileage.

George

Old 07-25-2014, 11:51 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
20s made there way into factory cars you can bet your *** 22s will be next like it or not

Old 07-26-2014, 09:05 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
20s made there way into factory cars you can bet your *** 22s will be next like it or not
I never cared for the 22's on the Harley or Lariat Limited F150's. Love the trucks but if I owned one I'd have to get smaller rims and some beefy tires.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Jus2shy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP, I decided to go with a slightly larger tire. Stock tire size is 32" in circumference. I decided I wanted a 35" looking tire, without the 35" tire price. I found the super-duty stock tire size of 275/65R20 to be just over 34". Since these are an OEM tire size, many tires are made in this size for cheap. I decided I wanted to get the goodyear duratracs when I still had my truck. Here's a shot of the duratracs on my truck, I also had a 2" leveling done with Bilstein 5100's. Really rode nice, but I needed a heavier truck.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:54 PM
sammy77
Postmaster

About as bad as it gets IMO. If you live in snow country, start shopping for tires.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:55 PM
bakon
Elder User
Did you find a good 20" for snow?

Maybe I need a second set of rims for the snow times (Pittsburgh gets snow from November-mid-March at times) . Some 18' and snow tires half the year might be in order? Are stock 18" on FX4 any good in snow?

Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro

Maybe I need a second set of rims for the snow times (Pittsburgh gets snow from November-mid-March at times) . Some 18' and snow tires half the year might be in order? Are stock 18" on FX4 any good in snow?
Keeping with your all-black look, how about a set of XL stamped steel wheels, painted or powdercoated black, with some good 17" snow tires to keep the cost down. Or get some of those NASCAR lookalike black spoked steelies. (You will have to deal with TPS--either ignoring the light or getting another set of sensors.)

Good luck,
George

Old 07-26-2014, 11:23 PM
bankshot
Senior User
Originally Posted by swheeler
Thanks. My wife noted that I get more compliments on my truck than she gets on her BMW.
Why would anyone give a shirt if you ride an f150, bmw, or a carolla or whatevs?

Old 07-27-2014, 12:37 AM
mpwbw
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruff rider
I like my rubber bands

and I like my newer rubber bands
Very sharp truck. I love that red Cranberry-like color, though I forget what Ford officially calls it.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:06 AM
sammy77
Postmaster

I've used these in the past on my Super Duties.. For snow, they are the best IMO. I tow a lot in the winter as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Clar=SuperCrew

Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Keeping with your all-black look, how about a set of XL stamped steel wheels, painted or powdercoated black, with some good 17" snow tires to keep the cost down. Or get some of those NASCAR lookalike black spoked steelies. (You will have to deal with TPS--either ignoring the light or getting another set of sensors.)

Good luck,
George

I looked into this as well, but after buying wheels, having them powder coated to keep rust off, and getting the sensors, it's a wash IMO.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:19 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by sammy77
I looked into this as well, but after buying wheels, having them powder coated to keep rust off, and getting the sensors, it's a wash IMO.
Good point, but I do know a lot of people who have a separate set of winter tires and "fix" the TPS light by putting a piece of black electrical tape over it...

You lose the TPS function (which actually found a nail in one of my tires when the tire still had 25 lbs in it so it can be handy), but mankind has survived a lot of years without TPS.

Good luck,
George

Quick Reply: Want to change to AT tires