1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Mystery Machine

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:56 PM
jazztone
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can pull a plug from wherever is needed. Where do I go from there? I am open to trying it all.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:03 PM
cliff_mennenger
Freshman User
Do you have chiltons manual? There is always a color page showing images of spark plugs that been exposed to different combustion chamber conditions. Lots of info on spark plug interpretation on the internet as well. With out a scan tool that might be the only approach you can take.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 PM
jazztone
Freshman User
I will go by Harbour Freight tomorrow. What should I look for in the tool?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:35 PM
cliff_mennenger
Freshman User
Cen-Tech - Item#60693 under $100.....this isn't a silver bullet. This tool is a data retrieval tool not a miracle machine. I have used these type of scanners for a long time. Still have a couple in the tool box. This will be a learning process.....be patient.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 PM
jazztone
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jazztone
I will go by Harbour Freight tomorrow. What should I look for in the tool?
I am going to buy a diagnostic tool and work on solving this issue with the help of you guys. What piece of equipment should I be looking for to give drivetime data to tell me where to look when I am losing power?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:40 PM
jazztone
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cliff_mennenger
Cen-Tech - Item#60693 under $100.....this isn't a silver bullet. This tool is a data retrieval tool not a miracle machine. I have used these type of scanners for a long time. Still have a couple in the tool box. This will be a learning process.....be patient.
I see a 60694 on their website for $120. Would that capture live data and freeze a malfunction while driving?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 PM
cliff_mennenger
Freshman User
Do you have a smart phone or something you can take pictures with and post them to the forum? Lots of numbers that need to correctly conveyed to those helping you remotely from the forum. READ the instructions that come with the tool. Especially the parts on recording live data pids and uploading them to your pc. Again read the book and then we can start collecting information and analyzing what you've collected.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 PM
cliff_mennenger
Freshman User
I see a 60694 on their website for $120. Would that capture live data and freeze a malfunction while driving?
Yes that tool will accomplish the task at hand. Hope you like to read and learn!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 PM
jazztone
Freshman User
Yes that tool will accomplish the task at hand. Hope you like to read and learn!
I do. And I refuse to let this beat me. I am too deeply invested. I will make sure to upload and share all the info so that you guys can point me in the right direction. Thank you so much for your prompt responses!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:03 PM
cliff_mennenger
Freshman User
Here is a couple of items / questions:
1. Is the check engine light on right now?
2. Engine power is ok at light throttle input but lacks power during heavy throttle?
3. What parts have been replaced so far?
4. Did you keep the old parts?
5. When you get the tool in hand let us know.

See if you can find the 20% off coupon on Facebook. Save a little on the tool.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 PM
cliff_mennenger
Freshman User
Don't clear any codes when you get the tool. Just save the following info: freeze frame, MODE 6 and I/M readiness status....just to start with.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 PM
jazztone
Freshman User
Here is a couple of items / questions:
1. Is the check engine light on right now?
2. Engine power is ok at light throttle input but lacks power during heavy throttle?
3. What parts have been replaced so far?
4. Did you keep the old parts?
5. When you get the tool in hand let us know.

See if you can find the 20% off coupon on Facebook. Save a little on the tool.
1. No cel
2. Yes
3. Ok. Here goes. First off I have a 2001 E250 with a 5.4l engine and automatic transmission with 215000 mile.
In December I had a misfire on a couple of cylinders and I ended up burning up the cats. Misfire was corrected with new cop's and plugs. New cats (all 3). Shortly thereafter got the lean on bank one and 2 code. Shop said low fuel pressure so fuel pump and fuel filter replaced. No change. New shop found intake gasket leak that was causing vacuum and coolant to leak on cop's. Intake gasket replaced along with dpfe, maf sensor, throttle body, tps, air filter, egr valve, and all vacuum hoses. I have driven over 1500 miles since and have no check engine light and the mechanic said there are no stored codes.

Ok. To my problem. If I and just driving through the neighborhood I have no problems but if I try to climb a hill it struggles. I go from 70 mph to about 45 on a hill. The mechanic said the transmission is slipping. I took it to the transmission shop and they said there nothing wrong with it and that it is engine related.

4. I have a few of the old parts like the coils packs, maf sensor, iac valve.

I will keep you posted. All input is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 PM
jazztone
Freshman User
1. No cel
2. Yes
3. Ok. Here goes. First off I have a 2001 E250 with a 5.4l engine and automatic transmission with 215000 mile.
In December I had a misfire on a couple of cylinders and I ended up burning up the cats. Misfire was corrected with new cop's and plugs. New cats (all 3). Shortly thereafter got the lean on bank one and 2 code. Shop said low fuel pressure so fuel pump and fuel filter replaced. No change. New shop found intake gasket leak that was causing vacuum and coolant to leak on cop's. Intake gasket replaced along with dpfe, maf sensor, throttle body, tps, air filter, egr valve, and all vacuum hoses. I have driven over 1500 miles since and have no check engine light and the mechanic said there are no stored codes.

Ok. To my problem. If I and just driving through the neighborhood I have no problems but if I try to climb a hill it struggles. I go from 70 mph to about 45 on a hill. The mechanic said the transmission is slipping. I took it to the transmission shop and they said there nothing wrong with it and that it is engine related.

4. I have a few of the old parts like the coils packs, maf sensor, iac valve.

I will keep you posted. All input is greatly appreciated.
Update: I was looking under the doghouse today and noticed that I am leaking coolant under the replaced intake gasket. I am not sure what they did wrong and I wondering if you guys think this would cause my issues. It is going to the shop in the morning for more tests.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 PM
cliff_mennenger
Freshman User
Yes coolant leaking into the intake will cause problem like you are experiencing. Did you purchase a scan tool?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:25 PM
jazztone
Freshman User
Yes coolant leaking into the intake will cause problem like you are experiencing. Did you purchase a scan tool?
I was on my way to harbour freight with my coupon until I saw the coolant leak at the rear of the engine on both sides. it is a cargo van so I am not sure if it is leaking up front yet. I tried to call the guy who did it and got no answer. I decided to drive by the shop and it is empty. I mean not even a welcome mat. So I am coming to terms with losing on that deal.

Fixing the leak...I wouldn't know where to start. Did he not tighten everything? Did he over tighten and break something? I wouldn't know where to start. Of course I am willing to try with proper instructions. And by the way, I got a new set of coil packs and motorcraft plugs I want to put in but of course not until the leak is fixed.

Should I try or just let the shop figure it out?