Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2014, 08:56 PM
World Famous

WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXv10 View Post
Somebody said nobody makes hitches,
Somebody else said maybe they just started to
I said I have one but it is so old that it isn't even listed anymore.
Then I gave a link to another old one for sale.

Reading comprehension Brent. The Excursion hitch was only available from Ford until recently, that's what they were talking about, an EXCURSION hitch, not any and all aftermarket hitches.

Tom 2005 Excursion XLT V-10 4X4, '04 SD 18"s, Modded X/B's, 35" Nittos, 4.88s.
'08 Mirrors, Hellwig, Ultra-Gauge, Banks Headers, 5 Star Tunes, GlowShifts, Ranchos.
ASPEN GREEN (Jolly Green Giant) Grey Cloth Interior, WeatherTech Mats.
'89 SeaRay 220CC 325HP Mercruiser Alpha, Full Camper Canvas, 11' Achilles 8HP Merc.
'14 Jayco Eagle Premier 338RETS TT, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy P3, TST 507RV TPMS, 61'.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 PM
World Famous

WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman View Post
Supposedly Economy offers one also! At least that is what the body shop and insurance adjuster told me!

I insisted mine was replaced after spinning down the highway with the Ex and Travel trailer a few weeks ago! Let me tell you I have wrecked various things at high rates of speed.......but spinning 180 Degrees in a a vehicle with a trailer attached with a combined weight of 15k.....is just a sickening feeling!
YIKES!

We would love to hear more about this! How did the adventure end?

'08 Mirrors, Hellwig, Ultra-Gauge, Banks Headers, 5 Star Tunes, GlowShifts, Ranchos.
'89 SeaRay 220CC 325HP Mercruiser Alpha, Full Camper Canvas, 11' Achilles 8HP Merc.
'14 Jayco Eagle Premier 338RETS TT, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy P3, TST 507RV TPMS, 61'.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
Reading comprehension Brent. The Excursion hitch was only available from Ford until recently, that's what they were talking about, an EXCURSION hitch, not any and all aftermarket hitches.
OK Stew, sorry I tried to help
Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 PM
World Famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXv10 View Post
OK Stew, sorry I tried to help

Trying to help is great, thank you. Reading the thread title and content can be helpful too.
I'm not Stew, I'm Tom but I love beef stew!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Elder User

jspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Trying to help is great, thank you. Reading the thread title and content can be helpful too.

Mmmmm beef stew.
John FTEMaB #5

2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, Hellwig rear sway bar, 08 Towing Mirrors, Roadmaster Active Suspension, 6.0 Cooler, 3/8" Derale thermostat (Removed Transmission running too hot).
Old 07-20-2014, 10:41 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Sorry I'm not perfect Tom.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Elder User

Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatthews View Post
What happened?

Quote:
YIKES!
We would love to hear more about this! How did the adventure end?
Apparently either had a tire(s) go down or I didn't have my WD hitch right. When I went to change lanes and some nice upstanding citizen thought it would be a good idea to try to go around me on the right as I was moving to the right....I corrected left and next thing the trailer wagged the Ex and I went all the way left then all the way right and ended up left pointing the wrong way. All is good! Truck is getting fixed. Wife and I made out on the deal and will have a new trailer in a few weeks. Kids will get new bikes. The only thing hurt was my pride!

Now back on topic!!!

OP once you get a hitch let us know what you think about it!
2003 Ford Excursion 6.0L ,Scan Gauge II, FICMrepair.com ATLAS 40 repaired FICM, Blue Spring Mod, Cleaned and Resealed HFCM(not a mod, but it should be done if you have dirt in it!) SRL tune by Matt, HellWig Rear sway bar, LoadLifter 5000 air bags, Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:09 AM
Senior User

The2003Excursion has a very good reputation on FTE.The2003Excursion has a very good reputation on FTE.The2003Excursion has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper View Post
The one thing I don`t like about the Curt is that the crosstube does not go through the side rails. it is welded to them, which I don`t care for. I would rather the crosstube be supported by going through the side rails, instead of just supported by the welds.

there is a hitch shop by me. maybe I`ll give them a call and see what they have to say, otherwise it looks like I may have to go OEM.
But if it seals it up, no rust will be coming from the inside out that way.

2003 Excursion Limited 4x4 V-10 3.73

Actually use the 4wd half the year
Old 07-28-2014, 03:45 AM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by The2003Excursion View Post
But if it seals it up, no rust will be coming from the inside out that way.
It's not about rust prevention, it's about one design being stronger than the other.

Welded to the side rails, or through the side rails AND welded.

Over time, welds will fail a lot quicker than that metal fatiguing.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Elder User

Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.
Went and saw the X at the body shop today. It got a Curt hitch on it. Owner said the local trailer place was frantically looking for the one I showed him that was like the factory one. They could only get the Curt.

As far as the welded side plates vs the tube thru the side plates.....It is what it is. I know for a fact that I can butt weld similar to how the Curt is and the welds will pass a 85k load test. Is it Ideal? No it isn't, but it will do the job for now. We will see how this tows this weekend.
2003 Ford Excursion 6.0L ,Scan Gauge II, FICMrepair.com ATLAS 40 repaired FICM, Blue Spring Mod, Cleaned and Resealed HFCM(not a mod, but it should be done if you have dirt in it!) SRL tune by Matt, HellWig Rear sway bar, LoadLifter 5000 air bags, Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Postmaster

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman View Post
Went and saw the X at the body shop today. It got a Curt hitch on it. Owner said the local trailer place was frantically looking for the one I showed him that was like the factory one. They could only get the Curt.

As far as the welded side plates vs the tube thru the side plates.....It is what it is. I know for a fact that I can butt weld similar to how the Curt is and the welds will pass a 85k load test. Is it Ideal? No it isn't, but it will do the job for now. We will see how this tows this weekend.
Didn't seem to take long to fix. Rubber side down, wild man.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Elder User

1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold
Well, my price on a Ford hitch is approx. $380 the Curt will cost me around $250. I don`t know which way I want to go? the difference is only $130. still thinking.

Wildman, how did you feel about the quality of the Curt hitch? I know I`ve used the welded to sideplate hitches before (Reese), but I`ve never towed 9k+ lbs with one before! I just like the idea of the side plates supporting the weight rather than a weld, even though I know it is more than safe. 6 of one half dozen of the other I guess. the price is leaning me towards the Curt.

Enjoying Silver Lake Sand Dunes!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Elder User

Technologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to beholdTechnologiq is a splendid one to behold
Jlynnes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper View Post
Well, my price on a Ford hitch is approx. $380 the Curt will cost me around $250. I don`t know which way I want to go? the difference is only $130. still thinking.

Wildman, how did you feel about the quality of the Curt hitch? I know I`ve used the welded to sideplate hitches before (Reese), but I`ve never towed 9k+ lbs with one before! I just like the idea of the side plates supporting the weight rather than a weld, even though I know it is more than safe. 6 of one half dozen of the other I guess. the price is leaning me towards the Curt.
I would take the Ford hitch without a second thought.
2002 Ford Excursion XLT Premium 4x4 V10, Firestone Ride-Rites, '08 Mirrors, Powerstop: Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Performance Calipers & Ceramic pads, Flowmaster 70, Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, Alpine Components, Kenwood 300W amp, Sony 12" Sub, Viper Alarm & Remote Start, '05 Headlights & Grille, 5000k 55W Bi-Xenon HID Bulbs, 64k
2013 Aspen Trail 2810BHS,
Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Senior User

7.3Excursion4x4 has a good reputation on FTE.7.3Excursion4x4 has a good reputation on FTE.
I would take the Ford hands down. When I replaced mine, I just had a bad feeling about an aftermarket hitch, especially since I tow a 12K boat weekly, which is why I had a custom made hitch

NCHornet's CCV, BTS Valve Body, Swamps IDM
DieselSite Engine & Intercooler Boot Kit
DieselSite Tranny & Coolant Filters & many more [/COLOR]
Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologiq View Post
I would take the Ford hitch without a second thought.
I would go for the cheaper one, it's not "going anywhere". I could eat for a month on $130.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 AM