The Great Swap Debate....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:21 PM
duggyb
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 85F350IDI
@duggyb
And I don't mean to be rude or offend you, I'm just speaking my own mind, it just seems wasteful to trade an IDI for a cummins in my book but then again that's me and some others, I.e. TJC
not offended! just trying to find the best offering of reliability with creature comforts which seems impossible with todays diesels.

as per the 2nd Gen Crew Cabs, it has been done, but that's more work than a swap haha

i do think they look damn nice.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/t...ic-post-m-here!!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:32 PM
85F350IDI
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by duggyb
not offended! just trying to find the best offering of reliability with creature comforts which seems impossible with todays diesels.

as per the 2nd Gen Crew Cabs, it has been done, but that's more work than a swap haha

i do think they look damn nice.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/t...ic-post-m-here!!
Sure is more work haha I thought I had an original idea! it looks like Chevy was used for the back hah and it's not impossible just rare

Old 09-03-2014, 03:13 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
@duggyb
And I don't mean to be rude or offend you, I'm just speaking my own mind, it just seems wasteful to trade an IDI for a cummins in my book but then again that's me and some others, I.e. TJC
OP said 94.5 so I assumed Powerstroke not IDI.

Still no reply to why not fix what ya got.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:57 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Okay, I'll bite. After re-reading through the OP's original post, this is what I read so please correct me if I'm wrong. The OP's truck which happens to be a 94.5 (or 95) with a 7.3L 1st generation Powerstroke is getting aged body and otherwise, and now desires a replacement truck in a newer body style. This is completely understandable. He even goes on to mention specifically an '05 to '07 body style as his target replacement, BUT desires an engine swap for reasons I surmise to be the bad rap the 6.0L has had. That said, he would be far better off purchasing an '05 to '07 body style truck, and repair the 6.0L as needed. Dollars to dollars, cents to cents he will be WAY farther ahead repairing the 6.0L even if it were to require a complete engine overhaul/replacement, as opposed to turning said truck into an abortion on wheels that he will never get his money back by putting in a different powertrain. Why make life more complicated than need be?

On that note, you can count me in on the camp that shakes his head at guys who desire putting in a Cummins engine into a Ford truck. Like another poster already stated, those who desire the Cummins engine, go buy a Dodge and be done with it. For the cost involved with such a swap, one can easily purchase a Dodge with the Cummins in it, and be ahead dollar wise, as opposed to ending up with a truck that will have gremlins for the rest of its service life, and will never be resold for reasonable money.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:25 AM
85F350IDI
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Okay, I'll bite. After re-reading through the OP's original post, this is what I read so please correct me if I'm wrong. The OP's truck which happens to be a 94.5 (or 95) with a 7.3L 1st generation Powerstroke is getting aged body and otherwise, and now desires a replacement truck in a newer body style. This is completely understandable. He even goes on to mention specifically an '05 to '07 body style as his target replacement, BUT desires an engine swap for reasons I surmise to be the bad rap the 6.0L has had. That said, he would be far better off purchasing an '05 to '07 body style truck, and repair the 6.0L as needed. Dollars to dollars, cents to cents he will be WAY farther ahead repairing the 6.0L even if it were to require a complete engine overhaul/replacement, as opposed to turning said truck into an abortion on wheels that he will never get his money back by putting in a different powertrain. Why make life more complicated than need be?

On that note, you can count me in on the camp that shakes his head at guys who desire putting in a Cummins engine into a Ford truck. Like another poster already stated, those who desire the Cummins engine, go buy a Dodge and be done with it. For the cost involved with such a swap, one can easily purchase a Dodge with the Cummins in it, and be ahead dollar wise, as opposed to ending up with a truck that will have gremlins for the rest of its service life, and will never be resold for reasonable money.
amen to that Mchan, now if you have the money and really want to waste it go ahead, but from what I've read you've got a budget, and it makes more sense to just redo a blown 6.0, another poster said that they've got good bottom ends and they make strong motors, so stick with that or get a 7.3.
You could do what you want and it's your money, we're just advising the best idea.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:18 AM
hotshoepunk
New User

This is pretty old, but oh well. It burned me up in the same way that others were, but about something else.

It kills me how an individual gets on a forum and asks for some sound advice and ends up getting ripped for being open minded and inquisitive. duggyb, I don't know if you ever got the info that you were looking for but it probably wasn't from this thread.

And, what is up with all you die hard Ford guys, which I will swear I am one, with putting down Cummins 6bt motors and telling people to go by a dodge. I'm sorry, but other than the diffs, the dodge truck platform sucks. Sure to some it might look cool, but there are and have in my lifetime always been issues with dodges and their brakes, suspension and transmissions(automatic), not to mention the small cab. Forget owning a RAM and taking your family anywhere in comfort pre-2008.(the back seat of a 04-2007 ram sucks)

And lets get something else strait, cummins is no more affiliated with dodge than international(and their disastrous contract with navistar) is with ford. Don't take me wrong here. The 7.3 intentional engine is one of the most renowned and iconic v8 diesels out there, but obviously Ford made international a know name and cummins is the only thing that kept dodge from going under, on the ram.

Bottom line, your money, your truck make up your own mind. My two cents, the 04-07 superduty platform is just technologically advanced enough to be a really comfortable truck, but not so much that you need a IT degree to work on it. If I had my druthers, I'd put and 6bt 12valve in with a fully hydrolic allision or maybe a proven medium duty auto-tranny in a 04-07 superduty.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:03 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by hotshoepunk
This is pretty old, but oh well. It burned me up in the same way that others were, but about something else.

It kills me how an individual gets on a forum and asks for some sound advice and ends up getting ripped for being open minded and inquisitive. duggyb, I don't know if you ever got the info that you were looking for but it probably wasn't from this thread.
Since you are quoting me directly, how and where in my post did you read the OP getting "ripped"? How was my advice "unsound"?

And, what is up with all you die hard Ford guys, which I will swear I am one, with putting down Cummins 6bt motors and telling people to go by a dodge. I'm sorry, but other than the diffs, the dodge truck platform sucks. Sure to some it might look cool, but there are and have in my lifetime always been issues with dodges and their brakes, suspension and transmissions(automatic), not to mention the small cab. Forget owning a RAM and taking your family anywhere in comfort pre-2008.(the back seat of a 04-2007 ram sucks)

And lets get something else strait, cummins is no more affiliated with dodge than international(and their disastrous contract with navistar) is with ford. Don't take me wrong here. The 7.3 intentional engine is one of the most renowned and iconic v8 diesels out there, but obviously Ford made international a know name and cummins is the only thing that kept dodge from going under, on the ram.
Where in my post did you read that I was putting down Cummins engines? Although I have very little familiarity with any of Dodge's trucks being that I have been wrenching on Fords in the dealer world since 2000, I will go along and agree with your opinion on the model year range of Ram truck you refer to, if it is the one I have pictured in my mind.

Bottom line, your money, your truck make up your own mind. My two cents, the 04-07 superduty platform is just technologically advanced enough to be a really comfortable truck, but not so much that you need a IT degree to work on it. If I had my druthers, I'd put and 6bt 12valve in with a fully hydrolic allision or maybe a proven medium duty auto-tranny in a 04-07 superduty.
WHY? What is wrong with the 6.0L diesel? Are you another one of those who buys into the 6.0L engine's bad rap? For what it's worth, I just sold my 2007 F-250 CCSB 4x4 with 212,000 kms. on the clock within less then two days of posting up the ad, and the first person who came to look at it giving me very decent coin for it. In the four years that I owned it, I only needed to replace ONE injector. Other than brakes and oil changes along with fluid changes, that was the only component inside the engine I replaced in the 100,000 kms. that I put on it. The point being, there ARE 6.0L trucks out there problem free. You just don't read/hear about them because people with problem free vehicles don't complain about that. Come to think of it, part of me is beginning to miss that classic diesel sound of the 6.0L truck I sold, and replaced with a '16 6.7L truck. So, that said, I (and I'm sure MANY others) really wonder WHAT is so much "better" about a Cummins 6BT engine, that you would be willing to butcher up/hack up a 6.0L truck to install, at an overall cost that you could've ended up purchasing a very decent truck TURN KEY to top it off? You don't need an IT degree to work on or repair a 6.0L. Would you install a carbureted engine into the engine bay of a vehicle where a fuel injected engine once resided because you feel electronic engine controls are too complicated?

Old 09-12-2015, 10:41 PM
hotshoepunk
New User
Well, I'm too stupid to use multiple quotes so...

m-chan68,
-I quoted you because in my opinion what I was quoting encompassed the general response of the replies given in response to duggyb question. I wasn't intending on singling you out, but its obvious to me now, that's what I did.
-Your right, you said nothing negative about Cummins engines.
-I just sold my 6.0 powerstroke engine and kept the truck. Got 5k for it with 20k miles on the rebuild. Completely bullet proofed. Great engine(once I fixed all know problems).
-My cummins swap will not be a hack job freak show. I'll send you pics. And I'll do it on the same money I spent to bulletproof my 6.0.
Cheers

duggyb,
I hope you got the truck you wanted with the powerplant you want. Sorry we're all too immature and dumb to just stay on topic hear to help a fellow poster out.
Kind Regards

Old 09-21-2015, 03:23 PM
kountzecobra
Tuned
I guess many are missing a good point with a Cummins swap. For every Cummins swapped into a Ford, there is one less piece of crap Dodge on the road. And that's a Good Thing!

Old 09-21-2015, 06:09 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kountzecobra
I guess many are missing a good point with a Cummins swap. For every Cummins swapped into a Ford, there is one less piece of crap Dodge on the road. And that's a Good Thing!
Oh I don't know about that the dodge would have fallen apart around the engine anyway.

I turn this Fummins debate around. The question really is, should a dodge/cummins owner replace the truck around his engine with a Ford? I'm sure we'd all applaud that swap.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:26 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Why not just buy a Ford F-650 or a Brazilian spec F-Series? They come from the factory with a Cummins under hood, for those of you who love them so much.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Number21
Senior User
I know this is an old post, but it's back at the top and there are a lot of really ignorant posts, so I feel a need to reply...

First of all, I own two (broken) 6.0 trucks, an OBS with an IDI, a Chevy, and a Dodge, so leave this brand loyalty BS out of it. People who buy a vehicle based on the badges on the outside are idiots, plain and simple.

Secondly, an OBS, no matter how swapped and updated, will never, ever, ever be as nice a vehicle as a Super Duty. Period. Nor will it have as much value when you are finished.

Originally Posted by tjc transport
you put a comapart in a ford, and you end up with an abortion you will have a hard time finding parts for, and never get your
money back out of it if you decide to sell it. put a 7.3 in it and you can get parts anywhere, plus it will sell instantly
This post is totally, 100% false.

Whether you can get your money back or not is questionable, most times if you invest money in a vehicle you never get it back, that's just a rule. It doesn't stop people from doing all kinds of other crazy stuff to trucks. Not everybody is concerned about resale value if they are building their own truck they want to keep and drive. Not much different than the guys who buy $70,000 trucks, trash them, and trade them in at a $50,000 loss 3 years later.

As for parts availability, you are entirely wrong. Cummins 5.9 is the "small block chevy" of diesels. Parts are everywhere, and they are the cheapest. Also more knowledge is available on the internet and more trustworthy mechanics are available who are experienced with this motor. If you start with a truck that previously had a 6.0, the Cummins is more or less a bolt in. Every part is available for order off the shelf, no custom modifications are needed. Remember, the 6.0 is basically just a factory diesel conversion. It even uses adapter plates to mate the International engine to the Ford trans.

Also, if you swap a Cummins in place of a 6.0, you keep a lot of the original Ford parts, thus making parts availability much easier. Examples: Starter, alternator, A/C, intercooler, etc are all the same. Go to idiot zone and ask the parts guy for normal parts for your year of truck.

Furthermore, trucks with Ford (IH) diesel motors are always dirt dirt dirt cheap compared to any other brand. Why is this if their motors are so great? An old 7.3 does not "sell instantly", they are not nearly as desirable as some people think, and they are certainly not sought after. A 7.3 Powerstroke is nothing special. A 7.3 IDI is desirable for it's reliability, but it doesn't have the power to pull a greased string from a cat's butthole, and never will. Indirect injection means it can never get as good of fuel mileage or as much power as a direct injected engine. Diesel Fords do not "sell instantly", most people are wary of them.

Originally Posted by parkland
Side note; are you sure you want a diesel? fuel isn't getting cheaper
Ironically, since this post was made over a year ago, diesel prices have plummeted.

Or a fummapart, I cannot stand cummins swaps, just go get a dodge and be happy, it really ticks me off when people throw out an IDI for a comapart
Another really ignorant post. Dodge does not make good trucks. They got lucky and found a good engine, they shoved them into subpar bodies that are every bit as unreliable as the stock 6.0.

It is pretty universally understood, no matter where your brand loyalty lies, that Dodge makes the worst truck with the best engine, and Ford makes the best truck with the wort engine. You can't just go out and buy a good truck, they never actually sold one from the factory that was worth a ****. You have to build your own, it is the only option if you don't want a POS.

Now back to the original question:
Super Duty bodies with 6.0s are really cheap all over, for good reason. A stock 6.0 is not something you can trust, period. Anybody who tells you different is statistically winning the lottery. Some people claim you can "bulletproof" them, but I'm on the fence as to whether this is possible or not. Even if it is possible to make a 6.0 reliable, it will cost you every penny as much as a Cummins swap would. This is why a 6.0 Ford truck is only worth half as much as a 5.9 Cummins truck of the same year/miles/options. They are almost giving away Super Duty bodies with blown 6.0s for little more than scrap value. You can get a really nice Lariat body for nothing. An OBS body will never ever be as nice, even if it has the same drivetrain.

It actually makes a LOT of sense to buy a blown 6.0 body, and put a Cummins in it. You'll end up with the best truck, with the best motor and trans, for about what it would cost to just go buy a stock Dodge.

Why not just buy a Ford F-650 or a Brazilian spec F-Series? They come from the factory with a Cummins under hood, for those of you who love them so much.
Uh, because we don't live in Brazil, and most people don't want to daily drive an F650? Did you really think that was an acceptable answer? Isn't Ford also admitting here that the Cummins is probably a better engine, they just can't use them in the US because Dodge got the contract first? Why doesn't Ford use Powerstroke motors over there if they are so great?

Old 09-23-2015, 03:25 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Number21
I know this is an old post, but it's back at the top and there are a lot of really ignorant posts, so I feel a need to reply...

Secondly, an OBS, no matter how swapped and updated, will never, ever, ever be as nice a vehicle as a Super Duty. Period.

A 7.3 IDI is desirable for it's reliability, but it doesn't have the power to pull a greased string from a cat's butthole, and never will. Indirect injection means it can never get as good of fuel mileage or as much power as a direct injected engine.
I double dog dare you to go over to the IDI section of this forum and say that. Here ya go here's a link to the page, all you gotta do is click, copy, paste, submit.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/n...ewthread&f=117

Old 09-23-2015, 03:31 PM
Number21
Senior User
Originally Posted by BruteFord
I double dog dare you to go over to the IDI section of this forum and say that. Here ya go here's a link to the page, all you gotta do is click, copy, paste, submit.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/n...ewthread&f=117
Yeah, I own one, and I've seen it. IDI Fords are weak, period. Yeah, you can spend a bunch of money for a few more HP and be on par with mid 90s HP levels. Still lame in comparison to any direct injected diesel. In stock form they have trouble maintaining the speed limit.

They get good mileage, and they last forever, but power is not something they can brag about. Yeah yeah, we all heard about that guy once who got a thousand horsepower on the internet, but most people will never ever ever ever ever see that.

Originally Posted by BruteFord
Honestly "ignorant" was not the word I would normally use, I was trying to be nice for the mods. Truth is there are several really stupid and highly uneducated replies on this subject.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:42 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Yeah, I own one, and I've seen it. IDI Fords are weak, period. Yeah, you can spend a bunch of money for a few more HP and be on par with mid 90s HP levels. Still lame in comparison to any direct injected diesel. In stock form they have trouble maintaining the speed limit.

They get good mileage, and they last forever, but power is not something they can brag about. Yeah yeah, we all heard about that guy once who got a thousand horsepower on the internet, but most people will never ever ever ever ever see that.
So do it then, I double infinity dare you, go over there and defend that position.

Quick Reply: The Great Swap Debate....