Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thoughts on fuel milage

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Sader
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have talked to a few people locally here that have the latest flash and their mileage is similar 13mpg ish.

Do your due diligence in looking for the problem but if you come up empty drop a tune in a see if the mileage improves.

Good Luck!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 290 Likes on 150 Posts
How's your FICM doing?

Does it maintain 47.5-49 volts?

With the latest flash you more than likely shot yourself in the foot because the latest flash is known to limit power. It's mainly done by limiting the "gatekeeper of fuel" known as the FICM.

This is easily resolved with a PHP FICM tune either Atlas 40 or Econo.

I had this very same problem on my truck as I had the latest flash from Ford which for me was VXDB1MZ. No matter what I did, even with Gearhead tunes, I never got more than 13-14 mpg. Once I got a FICM tuner and loaded the atlas 40, I rarely see less than 15-16 and as high as 18 mpg on the freeway.

Have you also performed the vgt relearn?

This is especially important after reflashing.

Are your hubs locked?

Turn to the left to free them and to the right to lock them.

Are you filling the tank up all the way?

Stupid question, but I wasn't....

I wouldn't get more than 80 miles before the needle started to move away past full. I started filling to the neck and now I get to 150 miles before it starts moving.

Where are you filling up?

Sometimes you just get some less than stellar diesel. Try switching stations and see if it helps.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:47 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
How's your FICM doing?

Does it maintain 47.5-49 volts?

With the latest flash you more than likely shot yourself in the foot because the latest flash is known to limit power. It's mainly done by limiting the "gatekeeper of fuel" known as the FICM.

This is easily resolved with a PHP FICM tune either Atlas 40 or Econo.

I had this very same problem on my truck as I had the latest flash from Ford which for me was VXDB1MZ. No matter what I did, even with Gearhead tunes, I never got more than 13-14 mpg. Once I got a FICM tuner and loaded the atlas 40, I rarely see less than 15-16 and as high as 18 mpg on the freeway.

Have you also performed the vgt relearn?

This is especially important after reflashing.

Are your hubs locked?

Turn to the left to free them and to the right to lock them.

Are you filling the tank up all the way?

Stupid question, but I wasn't....

I wouldn't get more than 80 miles before the needle started to move away past full. I started filling to the neck and now I get to 150 miles before it starts moving.

Where are you filling up?

Sometimes you just get some less than stellar diesel. Try switching stations and see if it helps.
The FICM is almost brand new, less than a few months old, as to original one crapped out on me. I was seeing the MPG loss after the new FICM, but before the reflash. It could be the programming in the new FICM...

I have no idea about the vgt relearn, looks like something else to look up.

I have double checked the hubs, and they are unlocked.

As for how much fuel, since I live in Oregon, and in their infinite wisdom, it is against the law to fuel up my own vehicle, I am at the mercy of the fuel attendant and if they double check to see if it tripped early of not. In some ways not having to get out to fuel up is nice, but I am always hyper vigilant to make sure they don't put Gas in my Ex.

As for location, I always fuel up at the local Fred Meyers, they seem to have the best pricing around, and they have enough traffic that the fuel does not sit long in their storage tanks.

I may have to look into the FICM tuner, thanks for the information, and if you have links to where you got your setup, i would be grateful.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
You should flash your ficm with at least an atlas 40 tune. This could increase your mpg 1-2. Use a cetane booster with every tank & fill up at a high volume station. With you studs you could add a tune to increase mpg by 2-4 and a noticeably more responsive engine!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
I will look into the tune for the FICM, and I do fuel up at the highest volume location on the north Oregon coast. I run Diesel Klean in every other fill up as well.

Thanks for the feed back.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
As for how much fuel, since I live in Oregon, and in their infinite wisdom, it is against the law to fuel up my own vehicle,
After visiting Oregon a few times, and never letting them fill my tank, I decided to look it up and discovered it isn't against the law to fill your own tank. The attendants and most people who live there believe it is, but there is no law being broken if the customer insists on filling their own tank.

The attendants always freak out, but I tell them I know the law, and I am allowed by law to insist that I be allowed to fill my own tank. They have always said ok and stepped aside.

Stewart

Old 07-15-2014, 10:34 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hoytenticer
Your cooling fan clutch isn't locked up is it?
I checked the fan and all is well there.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
After visiting Oregon a few times, and never letting them fill my tank, I decided to look it up and discovered it isn't against the law to fill your own tank. The attendants and most people who live there believe it is, but there is no law being broken if the customer insists on filling their own tank.

The attendants always freak out, but I tell them I know the law, and I am allowed by law to insist that I be allowed to fill my own tank. They have always said ok and stepped aside.

Stewart
That is good to know! I do always fuel up at the same place, and the folks there all know my Ex, so I very rarely have an issue. Lately, I have been letting them start the fueling, and then I hope out start talking with them and then finish it up myself. It ends up being the best of both worlds, plus I get the feeling they like to chat as most people just ignore them or get ticked off if it "takes to long" to get to their car...

Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 290 Likes on 150 Posts
That is good to know! I do always fuel up at the same place.
I still suggest trying another station...

I thought it was trivial and wondered what difference it could make, but when I first got my '05 Excursion home, I kept filling up at a certain Shell and I kept getting 13-14 mpg even with the Atlas 40 and Gearhead tunes.

I switched stations and almost miraculously, I started getting better mileage 15-17 mpg.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
P132B? Thats a fun one, the list of possible things for that code is ridiculous...ive gotten it a few times

I am not sure on the mileage, but i guess ill say that my CCLB 6.0 on 35s running gearheads SRL+ tune pretty much gets 14.8mpg every time i fill up

Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I still suggest trying another station...

I thought it was trivial and wondered what difference it could make, but when I first got my '05 Excursion home, I kept filling up at a certain Shell and I kept getting 13-14 mpg even with the Atlas 40 and Gearhead tunes.

I switched stations and almost miraculously, I started getting better mileage 15-17 mpg.

Agree with you on this Tor, I'm now filling up at a truck stop and have gained a few tenths and the truck seems to run a little cleaner.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:32 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by copsey
Agree with you on this Tor, I'm now filling up at a truck stop and have gained a few tenths and the truck seems to run a little cleaner.
If I had a truck stop to use, I would, but unfortunately I live on the Oregon Coast, where the nearest Walmart is an hour away, and we count our selves lucky to have a Fred Meyer and a Costco in the general area...

I may try fueling up at the Safeway, but their attendants there are complete jerks. Dealing with them just makes me want to

Old 07-21-2014, 03:35 PM
turbodog
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mileage

just curious if anything new has been discovered etc. I can't see why doing all those mods to improve the engine has decreased the mileage. I'd like to "bulletproof" mine one day but hate to see the mileage drop.

Also, i'm going to pull the trigger soon and use FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair with the Atlas 40 tune. My FICM is getting/is weak.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:29 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
I just went through and cleaned the MAP and other sensors on Saturday. I need to do a full tank computation to really know how things are doing. I have been looking at a potential upgrade for the FICM programming. Hoping things are looking up with the cleaning and who knows if or when I will pull the trigger on the FICM program upgrade.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I do the calculations as well, I have dropped from 13-15 mpg to less than 12mpg...

I did not change any gearing or tire sizes in all that was done, I did switch everything to synthetic fluids.
Maybe, you got a tank of winter fuel?

Have you verified your front hubs are unlocked?

Do you reset the Lie-o-meter when you fill up?

More around town driving than highway normal?

My Lie-o-meter will show 13-14 MPG if I "just" drive to/from work, It's all local roads speed limit 20-25 and lots of 4-way stops. Once I get on a hiway it starts to climb quickly.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:34 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
Maybe, you got a tank of winter fuel?

Have you verified your front hubs are unlocked?

Do you reset the Lie-o-meter when you fill up?

More around town driving than highway normal?

My Lie-o-meter will show 13-14 MPG if I "just" drive to/from work, It's all local roads speed limit 20-25 and lots of 4-way stops. Once I get on a hiway it starts to climb quickly.
Winter fuel... not likely with how quickly the fuel station goes through fuel. The hubs are unlocked, I think I have checked two or three times. I do reset the lio-o-meter, and it almost always resets to the 12.5 mpg level. My driving is always mixed, the video I posted today is a good example, except I may have been gunning it to show off on the video...

Quick Reply: thoughts on fuel milage