1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:54 AM
FordTruckChuck
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Shocks

Hi all - I have a 98 F150 4x4 Super Cab Long Bed that still has the original shocks which are in need of replacing. Can anyone suggest what shocks I should get that would provide a soft ride?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:46 AM
F150Dad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 98 also, just in short wheel base. Did your come with the factory Rancho's? If so, I was looking for something cheap since it is my son's truck for back and forth to high school and general transportation. Amazon has the Gabriel G63716 shock for the front and G63715 for the rear. I forget the name Gabriel markets them under (Ultra Truck Shock I think), but they are only below their premier/premium shock. They fit perfectly, have more travel than the Rancho's (about an 1 1/2"), larger bodies, and ride very good for a 4x4 in my opinion. At $23.00 per shock and free shipping, you can't go wrong .

Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM
FordTruckChuck
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the info, F150Dad. I'm thinking that the factory Rancho's were part of the Off Road package which I couldn't get with the long wheel base. I take it that yours did come with them? I'll take those Gabriel's into consideration. Would you say the ride is stiff or soft with them? I would really like to get ones that provide a ride like a Crown Vic has but I don't expect a F150 to be able to ride that smooth. So I'd settle for something close to that.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:51 AM
F150Dad
Senior User
Hey Chuck, yes it does have both the off-road pkg and the towing pkg. Best I can say about the ride is, my wife rides in the super cab when we take my sons truck somewhere. She is tall at about 5'9"-10". She has not complained since the Gabriel shocks went on. She was very vocal with the old rancho's . I think part of that was due to them being 16 years old and worn out.

Will ANY shock give you anything clsoe to crown vic? They may, but put even the slightest weight on the hitch or in the bed, and the ride becomes second fiddle to safety. They are definitely NOT stiff, you don't feel every bump in the road, but you know you are driving a truck . Not sure what style or brand of tire you are running, but that can make a big difference in ride also. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:32 PM
FordTruckChuck
Mountain Pass
Well you definitely have my interest peaked with the Gabriel's. I've stayed with Goodyear Wrangler's which came on it from the factory that are all close to new. The truck has never towed anything but occasionally hauls my dirt bike & equipment around. How long have you had the Gabriel's on it? Did you install them yourself?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:04 PM
F150Dad
Senior User
The fronts were installed in February and the rears in March. I ordered them at different times, because I wanted to see the quality of the shocks and the fronts needed replacing the worst. Like I said, for the price, you won't find anything cheaper. There was another thread a while back where others chimed in about different brands. My driving force in getting these was strictly based on price. I have been pleasantly surprised.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:09 PM
F150Dad
Senior User
Here is a thread from earlier....some different opinions to think about.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-for-fx4.html

Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 PM
FordTruckChuck
Mountain Pass
Thanks again, F150Dad. I'm checking out thread now. How were you able to determine that the shocks needed to be replaced?

Old 07-06-2014, 04:22 AM
FordTruckChuck
Mountain Pass
Smile

I just placed my order for the Gabriel's thru Amazon. Thanks for your help, F150Dad. You made this decision alot easier for me.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:28 PM
F150Dad
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordTruckChuck
I just placed my order for the Gabriel's thru Amazon. Thanks for your help, F150Dad. You made this decision alot easier for me.
Good for you Chuck. I determined the need for new shocks based on the VERY harsh ride. The smallest bumps felt like huge pot-holes. Very harsh ride front and back. The original Rancho's could be completely compressed, and they would NOT re-extend themselves . So they were basically just along for the ride and not providing any dampening effect for the suspension. Remember, shocks work going in BOTH directions, up and down. I drilled holes in the shocks to drain the oil out so they could be sold for scrap, and there was zero gas charge in any of the four. I hope you like them, be sure to update this thread when you can.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:51 AM
FordTruckChuck
Mountain Pass
Days before having the Gabriel Ultra's installed I scuffed up the white paint that was on them using 400 grit sand paper then applied 3-4 light coats of metallic gold spray paint for added protection mainly against rust. I had them installed yesterday. Kinda disappointed though because I've noticed only a slight difference. Still rides rougher then it once did. I was surprised that the originals still had some life left in them. One of the frt shocks came with the wrong bag of hardware. But the seller quickly sent the correct one.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:21 AM
F150Dad
Senior User
Been wondering how the shocks fit your needs Chuck. Sorry to here they fell short of your expectations. The bright spot is, you only spent around $100 for ALL 4!!! Seriously, I don't know which shock, currently on the market, would do what you are looking for. And I know, for many of us, even a $100 bucks can be a good chunk of change. Good luck finding the shocks to fit your needs, and please up-date the thread if you find what you like.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 AM
FordTruckChuck
Mountain Pass
I actually got a great deal with a discount Gabriel was offering & a promotion Amazon had if I opened a credit card account with them. The front ones ended costing me only $6 each! Due to expenses I don't foresee any other shocks being tried.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:30 AM
blupupher
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have some Gabriel Ultras on the rear of mine an noticed no real difference from the OEM with 168,000 miles on them. I found a set off craigslist only 2 months old and ~2000 miles on them for cheap.
My fronts are still stock, just have not gotten around to switching them yet.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:14 AM
FordTruckChuck
Mountain Pass
Long Overdue Update

A very long overdue update. Sorry about that.

After about 1k miles, the ride became & continues to be nice & soft & smooth with the Gabriel Ultra's. Perhaps they needed sometime to break-in?? Either way this is the ride I was hoping for!

Thanks big time to F150Dad!!

Quick Reply: Shocks