Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

July BS & Genearal thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts
Dave, in extreme cases, a horrible front end alignment can make the truck dog leg track, THAT COULD give you your wear pattern. Also check axle bearings. An easy way to do that is rock the truck side to side and see if you hear popping coming from the axle. (it'll be painfully obvious if there's excessive play) The only other thing that could do that is a bent axle.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Thanks Alan.

That's pretty much the list I came up with. I'm hoping that the front end is out enough to be the culprit. The bearings seemed to be fairly tight when I installed the rear end, but I will check them again just in case. I doubt the axle is bent as I had wear problems on that side before I swapped the axle out. The odds of both axles being bent are pretty slim, but I've been wrong before.

One thing that has crossed my mind and I'm trying hard not to worry about is if the frame isn't as straight as it should be. There's no obvious signs of a major collision, but there's always the chance...

Old 07-15-2014, 04:50 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
good morning missouri.... i think i will get something done on the old ford today.. or at least go to the shop and make believe i am working ...

Old 07-15-2014, 05:08 AM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good deal RC! Put some pics up at the end of the day! Lol! I'm slowly gettingvstuff done here. I'm going to have my son do 2 window handles in paracord today, black and silver for Bandit. Ill get some pics when done. Going to clean up a better air cleaner for Red. Need to take his battery back as well. Hope to get that stuff done today. I have one tire on Red that doesn't like to stay aired up very long....need to get that taken care of too.....

Good morning all! Supposely going to be great weather for the rest of the week!?

Alan, lol, ok ill be ready to get him as soon as your done. If you need me to help I'm good with that as well. I've got some time right now till I start a new gig.

Get lots of stuff done this week gents, we might not have this good of weather for awhile!

Rich, where is your thread or info on dying the seatbelts again? Is it in your Big Red thread? Looking to do that this week for my Red.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Well I guess fate was telling me to stay home and get the Durango looked at today. After getting ready to hop in the '87 and go to work, I noticed a tire was low. I grabbed the air hose and quickly realized that the air was leaving almost as fast as it was going in. I go jump in the van and discover someone (probably me) didn't close the door all the way and the battery is dead. Since I'm not a fan of changing tires in the dark, I decided that I was just staying home.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:40 AM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro

Do I go with silver and black or should I just go black?

Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 AM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro
Take a day off Dave!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Good Morning Everybody!

I get to hear the bad news today from the machine shop on how much I owe for the 360.

Jeff. I like the silver and black. Looks kinda' cool.

I have that head to put on the VW today. The head set should be there by the time I make it in. I still need to get some clips for the injectors from VW, but then I can get after it. I also want to hang the quarters on the '06 F-150. I hope my back holds out, because I have a list of stuff to do at the shop, too.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 AM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro

Here is the all black option

Old 07-15-2014, 10:57 AM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro

Did these in black. I can always change them later. I've got several sets. Might make some in red and black for my Uncle's 75 highboy.

They work and look real good in Ol Big Red. My son also did my 4 speed gear shift. Waiting to do my 4x4 stick until I decide if I'm going to keep the half ton stuff...if I go 3/4 ton, I may lower him some....

Old 07-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
I'm baaaack.

The front suspension checked out within tolerances on all the moving pieces, but was out of alignment. There was nothing unusual in the rear axle numbers so that's all good. I now have fresh front brakes (they were trashed), new tires, and the front end pulled back in alignment.

That rear tire wear really threw them for a loop. I think every tech there went over them scratching their heads until I filled them in on the rear-end swap a few months ago. The going theory is that the old one was bent and started the tires wearing wrong. Add to that a lack of regular rotation and some tire pressure issues (I used a defective gauge for several months before I noticed it was wrong) and I wound up with tire issues.

My wallet is much lighter, but at least I know that nothing is horribly wrong. The Durango now stops on a dime and handles loads better which I cannot have done on my own in a few hours time.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:49 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Jeff...here you go..

Follow the directions on the box (hot water) for the dye and pull the seat belt all the way out (as far as the reel will let you) and put them in a 5 gal bucket for a while and you will be good to go.

I used old metal coat hangers to make some "hangers" to hang the reel on the outside of the bucket.

Pull the staple and slide the plastic cover way up to the other end of the reel.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
I guess my kids are officially dorks.

Yes, those are pop-tarts they are toasting over the fire...

Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Evening All!

Jeff, buy me some batteries before I lose my mind with your truck.

I took yesterday off because my back was killing me. Today, I decided to take it easy.
I hung two quarter panels, a door, a tailgate and bumper, color sanded and buffed half a pick up truck, straightened a frame on another truck to get the bumper to fit and got the front hubs/rotors swapped out on Ka'Bluey.

......and then I wanted to die.

The good news is, Ka'Bluey FINALLY drives like a new truck! It has ZERO play ANYWHERE in the chassis. If you turn the wheel 10 degrees, you're changing lanes. Even with the dry rotted military take offs.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:15 PM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro
Ok, what was the place behind Lambert's?

Quick Reply: July BS & Genearal thread.