6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Torque Pro Ford 6.7L Extended PIDs

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:37 AM
MPD56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for their Input.

As posted before, I believe that there are 14 PIDS related to theReductant System (DEF). With my way of thinking there is a reason that Forduses valuable memory space, one might think that its main reason is to let usknow the level of DEF in the tank. I don’t want to discourage anyone from finetuning any PID; I’ve learned that working on any PID only increases learning.

I have a Wish List like all of the members and have been testing. DEFlevel is far down my list. But if we figure out the correct values vs. volume usedI would like to use it to make a custom PID for Average Miles per volume ofDEF. If it was higher up my wish list, I would add and remove DEF from thetank. There is a PID for the DEF Flow being calculated by the Reductant ControlModule, I just haven’t found the PID number. I have also been monitoring theMS-CAN but again this is on a different wish list as is hacking Sync.

<o></o> And if anyone can tell me how configure to Cut & Paste from MS Office without the garble LOL.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:53 PM
68rat454
New User
amazing work on all of this and i am happy to say i downloaded it all and was handed the keys to the kingdom.

so-- THANK YOU for all of the effort.

i got on this path because my truck dropped the EGT sensor and it ended up being the connector. I then moved on to my other issue which is the collant fan. it has been running on full bore and killing fuel milage and power.

the odd thing is that on initial start it roars (which i know is normal) then settles down but once i get on the highway in almost the exact same spot daily, the fan ramps back up to full on. I tried to use the PID for FANSS and FANDC as written for the 6.0 but it gives an invalid response.

if ANYONE has worked on the fan speed or fan duty cycle PID and could share that it would be great so i can perform the tests to check and see if its an electronic clutch issue (which i doubt) or what it could be. the truck barely reaches 185 with the fan screaming on full bore.

Thank in advance if anyone has a working PID and thanks again for the work already done and working great in my truck so far

Matt

Old 05-02-2015, 10:00 AM
DarrylB
New User
I'm new to this forum and this discussion. I've got a 2011 F250 with an ongoing turbo whine/whistle that started after Ford replaced the factory turbo. In the course of searching online for information on that issue, I came across the Torque app and then this thread.

I've got an OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter with the Torque app installed on my phone and tablet. I've installed the extra PIDs, including the test PIDs, from post #407.

They all seem to be working just fine.

So, I'm here to offer my assistance with any testing that you would like done. I'm not familiar with how the calculations are done but am happy to learn and experiment. I can also report data from driving, testing, etc.

There was a lot of information over the 32 pages of this thread and it's not clear to me what needs to be tested and tried some more and what doesn't. Let me know how I can help.

Cheers.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:08 AM
MPD56
Elder User
DarrylB:

Glad you found this thread usefull and thanks for your offer.

The hardest thing to find is the right PID number for the PID (module response). I don't put many miles on my truck in the winter but hopefully now that my trailer is out of storage, I will start monitoring for new PIDs again. I too just bought the MX and want to see if it will monitor the MS-CAN bus using Torque Pro?

FYI:

A F350 SRW has different tire pressures front and back,
I just rotated my tires and before I re-trained the tire position, Torque Pro verified that the tires were moved. Also it was nice when I added air that Torque Pro showed it on my phone at each tire and then I verified it with a calibrated pressure gauge. I keep 65 psi in all tires when empty so it is so much easier to adjust the air pressure just looking at a phone or tablet. I also verified it with my wife's 2013 Ford at the same time.
I do have aftermarket tire sensors on one of my trailers but my end goal is that I know that there are 10 memory slots in the TPMS module and hoping that I can added ford sensors to my trailer tires. The Ford procedure only allows the training of the four tires on the truck but the manufacture of the module has a scanner that will train all ten slots? I'm hoping to get my hands on that scanner and put my wife's ford beside my truck and see if I can set that up first before I spend money for sensors for my trailer.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:35 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MPD56
DarrylB:

Glad you found this thread usefull and thanks for your offer.

The hardest thing to find is the right PID number for the PID (module response). I don't put many miles on my truck in the winter but hopefully now that my trailer is out of storage, I will start monitoring for new PIDs again. I too just bought the MX and want to see if it will monitor the MS-CAN bus using Torque Pro?

FYI:

I just rotated my tires and before I re-trained the tire position, Torque Pro verified that the tires were moved. Also it was nice when I added air that Torque Pro showed it on my phone at each tire and then I verified it with a calibrated pressure gauge. I keep 65 psi in all tires when empty so it is so much easier to adjust the air pressure just looking at a phone or tablet. I also verified it with my wife's 2013 Ford at the same time.
I do have aftermarket tire sensors on one of my trailers but my end goal is that I know that there are 10 memory slots in the TPMS module and hoping that I can added ford sensors to my trailer tires. The Ford procedure only allows the training of the four tires on the truck but the manufacture of the module has a scanner that will train all ten slots? I'm hoping to get my hands on that scanner and put my wife's ford beside my truck and see if I can set that up first before I spend money for sensors for my trailer.
ooooo.. I am interested in the info on the scanner too.. I'd love to setup my DRW and 4 trailer tires.. course, gotta find out how to turn on monitoring the sensors in a DRW to begin with.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:53 PM
MPD56
Elder User
FYI

Sam
I'm not home by my information. First I would look behind the Glove Box for the TPMS Module? Later I will try to send the link to the manufacturer that make the sensors (or maybe Google it). That is were I got
my idea it could be done???

Old 05-03-2015, 09:36 AM
DarrylB
New User
DarrylB:

FYI:

I just rotated my tires and before I re-trained the tire position, Torque Pro verified that the tires were moved. Also it was nice when I added air that Torque Pro showed it on my phone at each tire and then I verified it with a calibrated pressure gauge. I keep 65 psi in all tires when empty so it is so much easier to adjust the air pressure just looking at a phone or tablet. I also verified it with my wife's 2013 Ford at the same time...
I didn't even know my truck had a TPMS and it was a pleasant surprise as I randomly added items to display to see that I did.

I've learned a few other interesting things too. Like my speedometer doesn't display the same value as the ABS speeds or the ECU speed. I set the cruise control the other day on a flat stretch of road. The speedometer read just over 80 km/h, call it 81 or 82. The speed reported by the GPS averaged 78 km/h, the ABS monitors were all 77 km/h, and the ECU was also 77 km/h. I can see a difference between the GPS and the ECU but I would have thought the speedometer and ECU should show the same value. A 5% difference is rather large.

I see your point about PID numbers being difficult to find. I've been searching for a the Mass Air Flow Sensor with no luck so far (mind you, it's only been a couple of days). The one available in the app provides no information so I thought I'd try to make my own. I've wondered about the accuracy of the air filter monitor gauge on the side of the air filter housing. It never moves. I replaced my air filter at 50,000 km as part of troubleshooting my turbo noise issue. It looked really dirty but the gauge had never moved. I wasn't even sure the reset button worked since nothing happened when I reset it. I've wondered if the MAF changes with time and filter plugging, rain, snow, etc. and thought I'd play around with that.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:46 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrylB
I didn't even know my truck had a TPMS and it was a pleasant surprise as I randomly added items to display to see that I did.

I've learned a few other interesting things too. Like my speedometer doesn't display the same value as the ABS speeds or the ECU speed. I set the cruise control the other day on a flat stretch of road. The speedometer read just over 80 km/h, call it 81 or 82. The speed reported by the GPS averaged 78 km/h, the ABS monitors were all 77 km/h, and the ECU was also 77 km/h. I can see a difference between the GPS and the ECU but I would have thought the speedometer and ECU should show the same value. A 5% difference is rather large.

I see your point about PID numbers being difficult to find. I've been searching for a the Mass Air Flow Sensor with no luck so far (mind you, it's only been a couple of days). The one available in the app provides no information so I thought I'd try to make my own. I've wondered about the accuracy of the air filter monitor gauge on the side of the air filter housing. It never moves. I replaced my air filter at 50,000 km as part of troubleshooting my turbo noise issue. It looked really dirty but the gauge had never moved. I wasn't even sure the reset button worked since nothing happened when I reset it. I've wondered if the MAF changes with time and filter plugging, rain, snow, etc. and thought I'd play around with that.
On the PIDs.. based on the design (6 hex digits), there are only 16million possibilities. Even if you try to limit to mode 22, there are still over 65,000 of those!

I don't think the air filter minder is a PID, well, it might be, but it would be on or off. I regularly got mine to trigger on my 08 with a delete.. everything I floored it, the sensor would trip cause too much air demand for the stock filter.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:35 AM
MPD56
Elder User
Try this and see how it works

Manifold Abs Pressure – MAP –
<o</o
PID – 0187 – Testing -
<o</o
Long Name (used in menus) – Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor 6.7L
<o</o
Short Name (used in gauge display) – MAP
<o</o
Min Value – 0.0
<o</o
Max Value – 100
<o</o
Scale Factor – x1
<o</o
Unit Type – psi
<o</o
Equation – ((A*256)+C)*0.03625
<o</o
OBD Header – 7E0

Old 05-03-2015, 11:04 AM
MPD56
Elder User
Sam:
Here is the Link of company that I believe makes the sensors and module? Note that these sensors also can also measure air temperature in the tire. I'm still looking for it but there was a thread on an Off Road Forum that explains how to monitor both temperature and pressure of all tires including the spare, of course what I remember is that spare doesn't show a reading if it hasn't be rotating.

https://www.schraderinternational.co..._lang=en-us-na

My thoughts are you can at least get pressures for four tires, the location might be tricky?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:17 PM
DarrylB
New User
Try this and see how it works

Manifold Abs Pressure – MAP –
<o</o

PID – 0187 – Testing -
<o
Long Name (used in menus) – Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor 6.7L
<o
Short Name (used in gauge display) – MAP
<o
Min Value – 0.0
<o
Max Value – 100
<o
Scale Factor – x1
<o
Unit Type – psi
<o
Equation – ((A*256)+C)*0.03625
<o
OBD Header – 7E0
</o
</o
</o
</o
</o
</o
</o
</o

It seems to work fine in the sense that it give data. It's kind of random though, going up and down for no apparent reason. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. Here's a screenshot of a graph of the MAP and boost. When the boost was higher the truck was heading up a hill on freeway. So foot was steady on the accelerator and the truck under load for the time shown.

Last edited by DarrylB; 05-03-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Format change to smaller font
Old 05-03-2015, 11:05 PM
MPD56
Elder User
Boost is actually MAP minus BARO.
I would have think about what is going on with the MAP Graph display?
Torque doesn't give you the ability to change scale of the X and Y axis or sampling rate.

12 pounds boost isn't working the truck hard.
Both graph displays should be proportional. Maybe try deleting the boost display to see if the MAP straighten out?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:48 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Matt,

Are you getting fan on just as oil, coolant and tray temps all reach op temp, or is one running a bit high and that is what is causing the fan to come on?

I had a tech and computer in my rig to track down a very similar issue, but I was pulling a 17k 5er at 5000 feet. The fan first comes on at various temps depending upon hp output demands. It is a variable speed fan that the tech can "see" turn on, but you can'take hear it until it is about 50%. If pulling a load on a hill it can stay under 30% and you not hear it for quite some time, but once you start to hear it, you need to back off power, crest the hill, or it gets to a 100% roar in a hurry. At 100%, it consumes about 70hp!!, so backing of on power makes a lot of sense.

Originally Posted by 68rat454
amazing work on all of this and i am happy to say i downloaded it all and was handed the keys to the kingdom.

so-- THANK YOU for all of the effort.

i got on this path because my truck dropped the EGT sensor and it ended up being the connector. I then moved on to my other issue which is the collant fan. it has been running on full bore and killing fuel milage and power.

the odd thing is that on initial start it roars (which i know is normal) then settles down but once i get on the highway in almost the exact same spot daily, the fan ramps back up to full on. I tried to use the PID for FANSS and FANDC as written for the 6.0 but it gives an invalid response.

if ANYONE has worked on the fan speed or fan duty cycle PID and could share that it would be great so i can perform the tests to check and see if its an electronic clutch issue (which i doubt) or what it could be. the truck barely reaches 185 with the fan screaming on full bore.

Thank in advance if anyone has a working PID and thanks again for the work already done and working great in my truck so far

Matt

Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 AM
68rat454
New User
John,

i will be a bit verbose in my explanation so that i try and cover all the data i have collected.

the truck from day one would start in driveway and out of my neighborhood would run loud enough to hear it. once i hit my main road (about 2-3 minutes the fan would be off by means of sound) it would stay that way unless i was towing the trailer and the truck was working-- ie-- as to be expected.

the truck went in the shop for an engine light (DEF related-- the line was the culprit after they changed the pump and nozzle and had the truck a week)

since then i get the same cold fan noise (which i read is normal to help the motor warm up with the extra load) then it goes away... and about 4-5 miles up the highway the fan ramps back in so loud that to drive at 60 i usually see boost in the 7-9 range to hold speed all the while the fan is screaming.

in this condition i also do not get air conditioning as im sure the PCM rates that very low in the "needed" list..

the fan will come on almost in the exact same position away from my house in terms of miles and time running.

what i want to do is get the PID for measure fany speed and duty cycle. I know ford can do this but im sick of waiting for the time and the wasted money when they want to do a full "experiment" on the truck rather than test what im asking for.

there is a tsb regarding this and it asks to measure fan speed and duty cycle and of courese the Ford scan tool has these PIDS but i cant find them anywhere.

but the fan has come on with the oil and coolant as low as 155 then out of no where at cruise speed the fan will just pop off and my milaege goes way way up.

just hoping to determine the fan speed and duty cycles to get an idea if i should be looking at the fan clutch or if the PCM is commanding it on out of no where.

thanks for any and all help... im using all of the PIDS that have been figured out by the forum so again-- THANK YOU

Old 05-13-2015, 09:04 AM
MPD56
Elder User
68rat454,

I haven't found the PIDs for the fan yet.

Do you know the TSB number?

Just my thoughts but the PCM controls the fan speed and monitors the speed (Feed back). I would assume that if the fan clutch is causing it the PCM would send out a DTC code. I don't have my information with me, I'm guessing from memory but the AC system also can turn the fan speed up. There is a thread on this some where?

Add on Edit:
Ford Specific DTCs for the fan. I believe that these codes don't produce a MIL or Wrench Light but do store them in memory.
P0480 - Fan control Circuit
P0494 - Fan Speed Low
P0495 - Fan Speed High

Quick Reply: Torque Pro Ford 6.7L Extended PIDs