1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

86' Crown Victoria IFS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 05:57 PM
JordanL91
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86' Crown Victoria IFS Questions

Ok well here I am again, I have already changed the Tie rods, CV Joints, Ball Joints etc. on my 86 F150 302 4X2 EFI, after a good alignment I still don't feel like the drive is very stable. We are all aware of the common Crown Victoria IFS swap in the older model Ford trucks, my question is this swap possible on my year model, and what would have to get done to achieve it successfully?

Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't know anything about that swap. But let's explore the problems with your current setup. How much slack do you have in the sector box? Have you replaced the bushings, especially those on the radius arms? Last, do you have front and rear sway bars?

I ask those questions because all of those things make a tremendous difference. I had an 82 2wd that drove ok but not well, so I replaced the bushings. That helped a lot, but not enough, so I checked out the tie-rod ends and ball joints - perfect. But, the sector box had some slop so I replaced it and that made the thing a pleasure to drive. But, about that time Dad gave me his 81 4wd that had not had anything replaced, ever, and it still drove better than the 82. Yes, there was a bit of slop in the steering, but the difference was over bumps - the 82's steering was affected by bumps but the 81 shrugged them off.

So I did some reading and found that many people say the optional sway bars make a tremendous difference on these truck. And then I helped another local FTE'er, Ray1986F150, put a set of them on his truck. He hadn't been gone from my shop for 10 minutes when he called to say they had transformed his truck. It was no longer bump-steering, and it tracked through corners much more accurately and effortlessly.

I can't say that would fix your problem, especially since you didn't say what your problem is. But I wouldn't swap out the whole suspension system until I knew that the stock system isn't going to cut it for you.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
How much slack do you have in the sector box?
I have horrible slack, Ive been meaning to rebuild it, I haven't had much luck on finding the parts at AutoZone or O'Reilys. I know that a lot of my slack is right there.

Have you replaced the bushings, especially those on the radius arms?
Those bushings are probably the originals that came with the truck in '86

Last, do you have front and rear sway bars?
I cant recall if I do or do not, But from what Ive read in the past I should more than likely have them, would it be to my advantage to changing the bushings or purchasing the two kits and replacing the system as a whole. Do you know if they have a better aftermarket available?

The only reason I wanted this set up was stability, I know the slop in the Steering Gear box is ridiculous but it doesn't make sense to buy a rebuilt one for 150 when I could rebuild it myself. Ive been having a moral conundrum on my truck lately. I have posted in the past on advice, but really indecisiveness is the main factor. I don't want to let this beauty go, I see the potential, I see the end result (an expensive end result) but its a good result. I will probably start the frame off mild performance restoration next weekend. Like I say its a hard decision to make. I figured the truck is simple enough to be the perfect candidate to be my first build.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Redhead steering boxes are the way to go. The rebuilt boxes from the parts stores just perpetuate a problem as the factory boxes don't use a bearing in one spot and the rebuilders just leave it sloppy. But Redhead bores the box out and installs a real bearing so their boxes are better than new. I've bought one but don't have it in so can't report. However, many have reported that the steering improved dramatically.

I doubt you have sway bars as they are fairly rare on these trucks. They were an option that few chose. But even if you do and the bushings on everything must be replaced or the steering will not be up to snuff. I honestly think that with good bushings, steering box, etc you will be happy - unless you are doing a lift, in which case all bets are off.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:13 PM
86f150lariat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you but everything in a package deal or how?

Old 06-15-2014, 07:17 PM
JordanL91
Tuned
What do you mean a package deal? The front end is taken out at the junkyard, are you not familiar with the swap done with older trucks?