6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DRW tire filling

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:47 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
I use the TST 507 system and am very happy with it. Customer service is excellent.

which sensors are u using on the rears? I have both flow thrus and buttons and don't like either without some extensions.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:11 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
which sensors are u using on the rears? I have both flow thrus and buttons and don't like either without some extensions.
I am using the version that screws on and has the anti theft caps.

The anti theft caps were trashed. With the caps the wheels have to be removed to install (using the special wrench).

Without the caps I can get my hand in the outer hub slot and put the sensors on.

The flow through was not out when I got my kit, and I see no reason to upgrade.

I just ordered the very expensive, but supposedly accurate pressure gauge kit from PowerTank, using their Father's Day 10% off coupon.

Even with the coupon it is very pricey with over priced shipping. But, highly regarded for accuracy.

I have found that if I average all the different pressure gauges I have now, digital and mechanical, and average them, the TST tire monitors are dead on in the range I use, 50-150 PSI.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:57 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I am using the version that screws on and has the anti theft caps.

The anti theft caps were trashed. With the caps the wheels have to be removed to install (using the special wrench).

thanks.. I did remove the antitheft covers from the front.
I had flowthrus for the rear but can't get them on.
I just received the long extensions that secure to the cover,
so I'll call TST and see how to swap out the flowthrus.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,564 Likes on 1,425 Posts
I have used braided extensions and they worked well.

Once I put my tire pressure sensors on, I decided to leave them on year round.
That eliminates physically checking the pressure. A simple scroll through the tire monitor is all that is needed now.

I adjust the pressure seasonally.
55 for the winter and 60 for the camping season.

I use the TST 507 system and am very happy with it. Customer service is excellent.

I'll get the Napa number, I plan on making a double so both tires can be inflated at the same time - pressure.
May even try a "four some"
Are you still using the extensions?

It kind sounds like the flow thru sensors might be the way to go. With the flow thru on can you still air up the tires without extensions?

I have been thinking about getting the TST507. I have two different trailers I would like to monitor along with my truck. Both trailers run the same air pressure, I was going to install sensors on each trailer, but now that I am typing this maybe I will move the sensors back and forth. I don't use the car trailer that much anyway. But it sounds like it might be a problem when I am not hooked up?

Old 06-19-2014, 11:39 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Tim Young
Are you still using the extensions?

It kind sounds like the flow thru sensors might be the way to go. With the flow thru on can you still air up the tires without extensions?

I have been thinking about getting the TST507. I have two different trailers I would like to monitor along with my truck. Both trailers run the same air pressure, I was going to install sensors on each trailer, but now that I am typing this maybe I will move the sensors back and forth. I don't use the car trailer that much anyway. But it sounds like it might be a problem when I am not hooked up?
with the TST 507, press and hold - and Mode to toggle monitoring the trailer tire sensors on/off.
this is one of the main reasons for me getting the TST system. My tireTracker did not allow disabling the trailer sensors.

I got two monitors and sensors for both trailers (as their psi were different, 80 and 110). (14 sensors total)

the flow thrus will not fit on the dually rear outer tire. and as my inners are currently lined up with the outers, I couldn't get my hand in for the inner.
I am going to use the Wheel Master braided extensions (just arrived yesterday).
using the extensions (connected to the hub cover) the flow thrus will be a bit longer than I want them to be.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Thanks for the info Sam, looking forward to seeing the extensions in place.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

You could monitor 2 separate trailers by using as an example; primary trailer uses the "inner" tires and secondary uses the outer tires.

The TST is cable of dual tires on two truck axles and three trailer axles.

The monitor scans through all saved sensors, so the trailer not being used would just display a blank.

I use two trailers, camper most of the time, motorcycle trailer only occasionally. I switch sensors.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Thanks Duane, After thinking about it some I'll just switch sensors between the car trailer and motorcycle trailer. I don't use either trailer that much.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:17 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

When you pull the sensors, get in the habit to check the gasket inside. I use a piece of 1/4" air line to reseat it. It sometimes sticks to the valve stem and either comes completely or part way off the seat.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Hey Duane, Thanks for the pro tip on moving the sensors between trailers.

Sam, How did the Wheel Master braided extensions work out? With the extensions hooked up do you think that the sensors will measure the correct temperature?

Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Sam, How did the Wheel Master braided extensions work out? With the extensions hooked up do you think that the sensors will measure the correct temperature?

haven't got there yet. and hadn't thought about the distance for the tire temp... will need to talk to TST about that

Just talked to Mike at Truck Systems, and he said there should be no significant effect. the temp might be 4 degrees off instead of 2, but you want the alarm to
go off at 150, where normal is 120 and failure is 185. 2 extra degrees off from actual won't matter at that point as the temp should not change instantly from 120 to 185.
He did say to make sure that any extensions actually have a valve core, some don't, and the sensor need to push on the valve core. (the ones I mentioned do have valve cores)

Old 06-27-2014, 04:32 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
yeh.. and I asked them both and they says the sensors turn off after a while, and need to be moved to turn back on. my car trailer sits for months at a time. I bought new batteries, nothing.. about 40 miles driving and all 4 are alive finally.. good for a couple days.
I stand corrected. They are exactly the same. Mine don't come on right away either. Just used them extensively this last week and a half, and noted they have to wake up. Sorry if I caused anyone any confusion.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:01 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I'm going in the morning to get balance beads installed in all the dually tires,
and the rears set with the valve stems 180 degree apart (right now they are together)

I am concerned about the balance weight of the tubes.. weighs a good lb or more in the box, thus the balance beads. had them on the last dually.. really smooth ride.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:08 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Sam, I'm guessing you know most bead installations require special valve cores.
Which bead "system" are you getting?

For those with or thinking of getting a TST TPMS.
The TST sensors are always "on" transmitting the pressure & temperature every 5 minutes.
Should a loss or air occur, the sensor transmits immediately.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:30 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Sam, I'm guessing you know most bead installations require special valve cores.
Which bead "system" are you getting?

yes, thanks.
No idea the brand. my local truck shop does this all the time.
had it on the last dually too.

they changed brands, to M&R Tire Products beads. Each bag has the valve stem and new cap as part of the kit.

Don't know how this local shop stays in business.. 6 tires R&R, bead broke,
bag inserted, aired up. total $59.75 including an extra bag for in the truck.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: DRW tire filling