6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Shop near Charles Town WV (DC Metro area) to work on my 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 02:54 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How far away would you be willing to go. You might send a pm to Per4mance, he's in New Jersey.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the plug Justin,there's are closer place down in New Port News Va.for him if I can find the number I'll post it.Dan is the guys name and he knows the 6.0 like the back of his hand.Real fair with his prices too!

Old 06-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
If you're willing to make the 12 hour drive, Super Duty Service is an FTE Sponsor and does good work.

They've never worked on my truck, but I spent memorial day weekend with Anthony and Julie and know that they're good folks that know what they're doing. The volume of business speaks for itself and after speaking with Anthony and seeing how meticulous he is, if I lived up north, he'd be the one working on my truck...nobody else.

Super Duty Service - Truck Repair Shop, Fleet Maintenance Services,, Pit-stop

Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well as an update I've pretty much parked the truck for now. Wife and I discussed selling it but ultimately decided not to. I called antrim diesel today and they want "closer to six grand" to do "everything" and they offer a 6 month warranty on all their work and that includes milling the heads.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:41 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
My problem is that I Google and find people with bad stuff to say about almost every local shop except antrim. People complain about their prices and to be honest I can't afford $6k and even if I could it just seems high.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by hasteranger
My problem is that I Google and find people with bad stuff to say about almost every local shop except antrim. People complain about their prices and to be honest I can't afford $6k and even if I could it just seems high.
It is high....and the whoever quoted you that is high too.

The job should cost between $3500 and $4200 depending on what needs to be done.

The complete engine work I had done cost me about $3850. DI Performance told me around $6500-$7000 mark, but were doing (if you ask me) too much to address a simple problem. They would mill the heads (whether it needed it or not) or just replace the heads all together with known good ones they had machined.

You may just be like me and have a leaking, if not ruptured EGR cooler. Unless of course you hooked a gauge to it and determined that the headgaskets were indeed blown.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
You may just be like me and have a leaking, if not ruptured EGR cooler. Unless of course you hooked a gauge to it and determined that the headgaskets were indeed blown.
Very good point....for less than $50, a person could install a psi gauge on the degas line and help determine where the coolant is coming from.

Originally Posted by hasteranger
Well as an update I've pretty much parked the truck for now. Wife and I discussed selling it but ultimately decided not to. I called antrim diesel today and they want "closer to six grand" to do "everything" and they offer a 6 month warranty on all their work and that includes milling the heads.
Explain what this "everything" consists of? What makes you suspect head gaskets...do you have any tailpipe smoke, coolant on ground...any idea where the coolant is going?

Do you know what your oil & coolant temps are while you are traveling 65 mph on flat highway, with no load?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Without ac probably 189/189 or within 5 degrees. With ac they rise to 190/199 or so. Towing a light trailer they stay within 15 but with a 10k trailer they rise quite a bit up hills. Like 230.

All as measured on my sg2. I am venting coolant out the degas bottle and once while idling I noticed quite a bit of water coming out the tail pipe and I dabbed it and tasted it and it was bitter like my coolant. I've been losing half a gallon every couple weeks so far this summer. Definitely time to figure it out and fix it. Antrim said it could very well be bad coolers. They said $1400 to change out coolers if that was all it needed. It is important to me to take it somewhere with a warranty that stands behind their diagnostics and work. Too many horror stories on the forums.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Also by everything he said new thermostat, bullet proof or delete egr cooler, new oil cooler, arp head studs, oem head gaskets, and all new seals and etc, along with milling the heads. He said they don't pull bodies because they remove the passenger motor mount.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:43 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
I called around and got a few more high quotes. Got one for around $4k from tnt diesel in Henderson so I'm planning on taking it out there in a few weeks when he can fit me in. Hoping to get studs on oem gaskets, heads milled, stand pipes, new Ford oil cooler, egr delete, thermostat, and water pump. Anything else I should have done while it's apart? Should I have stand pipes changed if they aren't cracked? Also someone mentioned dummy plugs. Don't know what those are.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
-Dummy Plugs and Standpipes depend on what year your engine is. On the 2004+ engines, the standpipes act as a bridge betweeen the branch tubes and the HPO rail. The branch tubes are where what the HPOP feeds oil to.

Regardless of the year:

-New injector o-rings, use the Alliant kit, NOT the Ford kit. The Ford kit doesn't come with the o-rings for the top half of the injector.

-New Rocker box gaskets.

-Nipple cup o-rings on the HPO rail. (2004 engine and up)

-Inspect the HPOP o-rings for wear and leaks.

-Inspect the HPOP for failure (cracks in the housing, turn the gear, make sure it's tight and not loose)

Old 09-16-2014, 09:04 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
-Dummy Plugs and Standpipes depend on what year your engine is. On the 2004+ engines, the standpipes act as a bridge betweeen the branch tubes and the HPO rail. The branch tubes are where what the HPOP feeds oil to.

Regardless of the year:

-New injector o-rings, use the Alliant kit, NOT the Ford kit. The Ford kit doesn't come with the o-rings for the top half of the injector.

-New Rocker box gaskets.

-Nipple cup o-rings on the HPO rail. (2004 engine and up)

-Inspect the HPOP o-rings for wear and leaks.

-Inspect the HPOP for failure (cracks in the housing, turn the gear, make sure it's tight and not loose)
I knew what standpipes were but not dummy plugs. I also don't know what rocker box gaskets are. But I will add those to my list. Also getting a rebuilt ficm because mine is gone.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:23 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Well I thought I had something worked out with tnt but I've called and left a few voicemails to try and arrange dropping the truck off and haven't got a call back. It's been about 2 weeks. Needless to say I'm not comfortable dropping my truck off somewhere a few hours away that won't answer calls or call customers back. Guess my search continues.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Called innovative. They want $6k to do the work. Called Rudy's diesel. They wants $6k to do the work but have a written 1 year warranty. Guy was a little defensive when I asked about what they do and why. He said they were the best and they could charge as much as they wanted because people would pay for their experience. Seemed a little strange thing to say to a potential customer.

Read nothing but bad reviews about Justin mx and xlr8 diesel. Few people who either had work done or bought trucks from xlr8 that xlr8 had done the bulletproofing on and when the trucks had problems xlr8 wouldn't answer or return phone calls. Also read a few reviews where employees of the shop left a 5 star review just to argue with another reviewer and that's a little unprofessional.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
This 2r place in lower NJ isn't too far from me and I like their website. Has everything they do and the price up front, $4300.
http://www.2rsautorepair.com/TheUpperFixa.html
Pasadena diesel is working up a quote for me.

Maryland performance diesel quoted me $5500 for everything but they want an extra $400 for the ficm. They do have a written 1 year warranty.

Quick Reply: Shop near Charles Town WV (DC Metro area) to work on my 6.0?