Feedback forum?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:18 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Feedback forum?

I didn't see a feedback forum. I thought there used to be one, but maybe I'm mis-remembering. I wanted to bring one topic up, but now I guess there's two.

Should there be a feedback forum? It would seem to be useful to have one place which to gather site enhancement requests and the like.

What I actually wanted to bring up, and please forgive me if I'm doing this in the wrong place, is the behavior for read and un-read threads.

The current behavior is that when you visit the site, all subscribed threads with new posts are listed in the User CP. I find it very handy to use this page to quickly update myself on threads I've participated in.

However, there are a couple of things that bug me about this. One, when I read a thread or post in a new thread, it still appears in the list of subscribed threads, albeit in an unread state. Two, if I am away from the computer for a period of time, the forum marks all threads, subscribed and unsubscribed, as read.

The first is minor, but the second can be quite annoying because if I have to take a call or do something for work, I would like to be able to come back to the site and pick up where I left off. Currently I'm not always able to do this because by the time I come back, all threads are marked read. This behavior doesn't seem to offer any benefit or make the forum any easier to use. Why mark a thread read if the user never actually read it? On the downside, it can easily cause users to miss updates on threads and miss new threads entirely.

Other VB boards that I visit have the opposite behavior. Threads aren't marked read until I actually read them. This is quite handy because I don't feel forced to quickly catch up on all my threads. I know that I can come back in a few hours from now and unread threads will still be unread.

I hope you'll consider making this change.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks Andy...I make sure the team sees this .