1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

My first Ford pickup....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:57 PM
frito-bandito
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree about bench pressing fuel tanks, I attempted that with about 8 gallons in my tank, that was the one and only attempt, lol. Keep up the great work and please keep posting your progress!!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:34 PM
frank washington
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a question of philosophy: if I wanted something that ran without needing maintenance, or oil, or water, or a functional oil pump, etc, I'd buy either a new Toyota or an old AMC.

We're not stupid; we're not poor, and we're maybe a little naïve. But I've done all kinds of crazy stuff and of all of them, what makes me stand up a little straighter and puff my chest out is taking a basket case like this truck and sorting out, if not all (like the OP is presumably ready willing and able to do), at least a couple or couple dozen of these hare brained issues.

I'm sure that when yuppies see me puttering and shaking down the slow lane they pity me from their computer controlled, fuel efficient status symbols. What's not so obvious is that I've been in their shoes and frankly I'm happy to be where I am. Driving something that I love, something that I've invested a lot of myself in, and something that I can probably fix or at least rig if I can make it to a parking lot....

Old 05-27-2014, 05:37 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by frank washington
It's a question of philosophy: if I wanted something that ran without needing maintenance, or oil, or water, or a functional oil pump, etc, I'd buy either a new Toyota or an old AMC.

We're not stupid; we're not poor, and we're maybe a little naïve. But I've done all kinds of crazy stuff and of all of them, what makes me stand up a little straighter and puff my chest out is taking a basket case like this truck and sorting out, if not all (like the OP is presumably ready willing and able to do), at least a couple or couple dozen of these hare brained issues.

I'm sure that when yuppies see me puttering and shaking down the slow lane they pity me from their computer controlled, fuel efficient status symbols. What's not so obvious is that I've been in their shoes and frankly I'm happy to be where I am. Driving something that I love, something that I've invested a lot of myself in, and something that I can probably fix or at least rig if I can make it to a parking lot....
Well said! Reps to you.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 AM
frito-bandito
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most definitely, its the pride you get from driving something that you've pretty much built.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Trackerrrr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the satisfaction of knowing I've fixed the broken and made it work again. I make the truck my own.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Trackerrrr
Senior User
Ordered both sending/fuel pump units for the tanks, a turn signal switch, heater core, and the tank rollover valves/seals last night. With a bit o' luck I should have this beasty roadworthy by next weekend.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
That would be time to celebrate. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2014, 02:41 AM
Trackerrrr
Senior User
Got the senders/fuel pumps, turn signal switch, and heater core today. Now just waitin' on the tank vents and seals. Will be doing the rear axle flange seals this weekend too.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:30 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
That's a lot of work. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Trackerrrr
Senior User
Got the turn signal switch, heater core, and dashboard back in today.

Someone had tried to repair the old switch badly. The pivot 'holder' had not been flared out properly and allowed the old switch to wobble, which explains why the right rear turn signal was intermittent.

Anyone know what these plugs are for? Radio perhaps?

Old 05-31-2014, 09:17 PM
Trackerrrr
Senior User
Unfortunately my tank vents and grommets did not come in today so looks like I have to wait until Monday at the earliest to work on the tanks...

Old 05-31-2014, 09:28 PM
Trackerrrr
Senior User
Props to my long suffering wife too for putting up with me while I work on Junkie...

Old 05-31-2014, 09:30 PM
Trackerrrr
Senior User
Confucius say, man that install dash and forgets a/c ducting make lots more work for himself.....

Old 05-31-2014, 10:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Trackerrrr
Confucius say, man that install dash and forgets a/c ducting make lots more work for himself.....
Bummer!!!!

Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
The gray connector is for the radio - yellow/black-hash = fused, switched power; light blue/red = dimmable dash backlighting.

That other plug looks familiar but I can't place it... looks like it has a ground (black), exterior marker/running lamps (dark brown) and the red I can't see if there's a colored stripe on it or not. I don't *think* that's for a lights-on or seatbelt buzzer, I'm pretty sure those buzzers were incorporated into a single unit (with more wires) by the time the gray radio plugs came out.

Are there any other colors on the red wire?

Quick Reply: My first Ford pickup....