1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meet the Team Behind the 2015 Ford F-Series Super Duty, May 1-May 16, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 05:22 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a question,

Since the ecoboost engine uses performance piston coatings, obviously they work and ford has the ability to implement reliable piston coating technology.
Why can't the 6.7 get coatings on the piston crown, head, exhaust valves, etc so that the increase in power doesn't come with more wear and tear on the engine? Would this not increase fuel economy, and make the engine more reliable at heavy duty performance, while keeping more heat in the combustion chamber?

And another question,

With the common concern regarding a rare but devastating event of a high pressure fuel pump failure, why not make the entire thing out of steel or ferrous material, so that simple rare earth magnets could be installed as part of the fuel lines or rails, to prevent fuel system contamination in the rare event that the pump fails?

Old 05-01-2014, 06:09 PM
01f1502wd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nojoke327
I also want to add that vynal floors and seats should be available with all models. Maybe I want nav and all the expensive stuff but I work a dirty trade and don't want to mess up cloth, carpet or leather
I second this! I would also like a floor shift transfer case and standard trans, but very few would buy it....hence why most manufactures killed these features all together. I dont see why they couldnt have vynhl for the floors....you just dont put in carpet. Don't know about the Superdutys, but the F150s are all made on one line whether its a XL or Raptor...

Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id like to see a manual trans , keep the solid front axel , dont make the suspension so soft . also if big farm tractors found a way around def fluid and burn clean . why cant you.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:51 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
Thanks for the visit!

Any plans to offer an air suspension/assist option in the future? Also, please don't even consider deleting the solid axle from the Super Duty lineup.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,188 Likes on 1,696 Posts
I'd like to know when the body style change will be........

Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 PM
NFLD FLARESIDE
Senior User
also very interested in updates to the superduties, subscribed.

at more than a fifth out of responses actually asking questions/giving opinions about the trucks etc showing interest in a manual trans, it seems like there is much more demand than some might think - might note however that forums are quite capable of creating such allusions, LOL.

I too miss manuals in big pickups.........but looking forward to checking out the updated superduty

Old 05-01-2014, 08:53 PM
RZAR
Tuned
Please bring back the manual transmission for both gas and diesel trucks.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:11 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Count me in for a manual transmission. They are offered on Super Duties sold by Ford in other global markets.

I also agree with the solid front axle and hope that it remains integral to the 4x4 Super Duty lineup for years to come.

Maybe I'm strange but I hope the body style remains mostly the same especially with the "Daylight Door" inspired front door design and the semi truck inspired door handles. When the Super Duty body style came out in 1998 it was my dream vehicle and to this day it has remained familiar for the most part, other than minor front grille and badging changes. Of course looks are subjective, and my opinion does not reflect those of anyone else. Any major changes to the pickup bed would mean some vehicle accessories would have to be changed instead of being compatible from 99-present.

Are there any changes to the primary loop coolant radiator?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 PM
rebauto
Cross-Country
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
mileage

How about some fuel economy speculations? It is surpassing the competition in hp and tq, but in doing so, is fuel economy going to suffer and fall below that of the competitors?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will there be any options to buy a first gen job 1 or 2 6.7 with lower ratings in the newer trucks. That could he great for guys like me that want a cheaper option

Old 05-01-2014, 10:56 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Team 2015 Super Duty
NOTE from the mods: We’re thrilled to have these guys from Ford with us but please note they can really only speak to their subject matter, the 2015 Super Duty. Please note that off topic posts will be deleted or moved to another thread without notice.
Just a friendly reminder to everyone.

Please restrict your posts to questions for the 2015 SD Team. Commentary between members and posts not relevant to the 2015 SD will be deleted. Some have already been removed so please take advantage of this opportunity to ask these folks questions without cluttering up the thread.

The 2015 SD Team is going to answer questions on Fridays and we'd like them to be able to do so without having to sift through a lot of unnecessary posts.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
First, I want to compliment the Ford SuperDuty team for making a great truck and also letting your end users ask some questions and provide feedback to you.

FWIW. I have owned several SD's and my current rig is 2011 F350, CC LB 4x4 Lariat w/NAV that I custom ordered. I have been to almost the entire US in it and up to 14,135 Feet in Colorado (Mt. Evans). It is still 100% stock/original factory parts. I haven't owned a better truck than this one - so please don't take my questions/suggestions as being harsh.

While I am looking forward to the answers to some of the above questions, I have a few of my own:

Suspension Team: 1. What has been done in the 2015 SD to prevent a condition your end users refer to as "death wobble", where harmonic oscillations of the suspension in the front end make it impossible to steer until the truck is completely stopped. Sometimes the addition of an aftermarket steering stabilizer helps prevent this condition. I would hope that in the future a better setup from the factory would be standard.

2. Are the shocks the same in the 2015 as the 2011-2014. Even a "shock" upgrade that we pay for would be nice. A lot of people have gone through factory shocks quickly and again, end up going to the aftermarket for a solution.

3. Has anything been done to prevent an oscillation in the rear end of the trucks that happens between 40-45. I know there was an upgraded driveshaft that came out later to address this issue - has anything else been done?

Instrument Panel: 1. I see in the 2015 manual you added a splash screen for "regen completed" - why can't a symbol come up to let us know that the truck is IN regen? You've done such a good job at making the regen process un-noticeable to the driver... I also would like a "regen now" button...

2. Productivity screen - Couldn't you add more gauges/numbers to this? Let us customize it with more PIDS? Things like DPF back pressure and Oil Pressure would be nice. I'd love a "real" Def level too.

3. Any new "truck apps" in that section coming out?

Interior: How about a heating steering wheel for those of us that like KR and Lariats?

Body: 1. Why the small fuel tanks? The SB fuel tank is about worthless if you pull anything. Couldn't you put the DEF tank on the other side of the vehicle and make it a 10 gal tank so it really does last until the next oil change? I like the DEF tank tucked up under the bed. Much better than some other solutions I have seen.

2. On certain levels, how about power lock/unlock for the tailgate lock... I hate having to either bring two keys or turn the truck off just to unlock and then lock the tailgate.

3. Front "park aid" sensors for those times when you have to park head in or need to be close to something in front of you. Heck, even a front camera on the higher end models could be handy. Some of us do use the front tow hooks.

4. Wishful thinking list: Auto dimming sideview mirrors. I love the size of the mirrors, until someone gets behind me with bright lights.

5. Speaking of headlights -- How about making those a little better? It's bad when small cars have better headlights than a SD.

Transmission: Are there any plans to add more gears to the transmission? Being able to cruise with lower in RPMS when gong 70-80 would be nice. Speed limits are going up everywhere and I like the 3.55 in my SRW, but I take a huge hit on MPG at those LEGAL speeds. I would think 3.73 and an 8 speed could be a decent combination.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this and answer questions.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:37 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,188 Likes on 1,696 Posts
I'd like to know:
1. Is there a break in mode, like the GT500s. If so how many miles/time does it last.
2. I've heard the exhaust brake is weak. How is it meant to be used; tow haul, manual shift, does it hold the mph when braking?
3. Can you elaborate as much as possible what exactly was done to the injectors, injection pump and fuel pump?

Old 05-02-2014, 05:56 AM
redford
Received 1,582 Likes on 922 Posts
Were the 2015 Super Duty trucks tested to the SAE J2807 Towing Standard? If so, does the team have any comments on how it went?

Old 05-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
First I'd like to say THANKS for coming by to answer our questions!

It looks like the 6.2L gas engine is rated for the same power output as the previous generation trucks. Have there been any updates to this engine, and specifically has anything been done to improve fuel economy? The 6.7L brought a noticeable increase in efficiency compared to the previous generation, but it seems like the gas engine hasn't come as far.

What has been done to the exterior of the truck to lower the coefficient of drag in order to improve fuel efficiency?

Quick Reply: Meet the Team Behind the 2015 Ford F-Series Super Duty, May 1-May 16, 2014