6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What kind of 5er/TT/trailer do you pull with your 6.7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:33 AM
dalspot
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Randy, you can get either the REESSE 30126 rails OR the Ford Factory rails. Self install is easy, as the factory now dimples the bed for your drilling holes. No measuring needed. The Reese rails can be ordered without the Gooseneck hitch - which is what the 30126 is. I'll send you a longer PM later on both. You have an option of the Curt hitches with their Ford legs, or the B&W Companion with their Ford base.

Our old slider had the in-bed rails and left small holes - but 8 of them when removed. We wanted the under-bed system this time, but the truck didn't have it factory installed.

Originally Posted by Randy Klauk

Last week we bought a new 2014 F250 cc 8' bed Lariat, what a step up. So much to learn. I kept the old 5th wheel hitch bed rails thinking I'd use them on the 6.7. It has the trailer tow option with the 5er hitch mounting bolts already in the bed. Looking at the spacing I'm not sure that will work. I had Camping world install the rails in the '04. They used 6 bolts in each rail. Ford provides 2 bolts for each rail. I'm wondering if there are fifth wheel hitch rails I should get from the Ford dealer? I can't get much information from my dealer regarding towing issues. Anybody have an answer?

Old 09-04-2014, 09:49 AM
dalspot
Freshman User
And here's the truck with the 5th wheel prep and B&W Companion hooked to the Sundance... finally....

Old 09-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Randy Klauk
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Randy,
Thanks for the quick response. The pix of your hitch in the bed of your truck shows the 4 mounting bolts I had hoped to use with my bed rails. I want to use my 16K Reese hitch and not buy new one. I think a trip to a different Ford dealer and a stop at Camping World is in order.
Your truck and trailer look great. The photos of the hitch (not sure how you get the pin in with the opening facing the cab, lol) are very helpful.
Thanks again.
Randy

Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 AM
dalspot
Freshman User
Randy, just sent you and email.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Randy,
Thanks for the quick response. The pix of your hitch in the bed of your truck shows the 4 mounting bolts I had hoped to use with my bed rails. I want to use my 16K Reese hitch and not buy new one. I think a trip to a different Ford dealer and a stop at Camping World is in order.
Your truck and trailer look great. The photos of the hitch (not sure how you get the pin in with the opening facing the cab, lol) are very helpful.
Thanks again.
Randy
Not sure about the orientation question, but the pin does come in from the rear. There is still a plastic covering put over the plate from the factory in these pictures..
The hitch does work very well and is rated for 26,500#

It was the dealer that told me that only the Reese Custom hitch (available only through Ford) would fit the factory mounting points - so take that with a grain of salt.. I did find that the old Tousley Ford website (now AutonationFord) sells that hitch at a considerable discount online...

AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Old 09-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Randy Klauk
Freshman User
The saga continues- I've determined I don't have a 5th wheel prep option on my truck regardless of what the salesman and mechanic assured me. I base that on reviewing the options listed on the window sticker and what the folks at Camping World told me after checking out my truck. Camping world wants $600 to put new rails in. They won't take the job of installing the rails from my old p/u due to liability issues and I certainly understand their position. I have found a place that installs hitches and they have no problem of installing my rails in our new p/u so will be going there next week.
I'm surprised at how little information I was able to get regarding this issue at the two Ford dealers I visited. No one in either parts department was aware of any Ford Factory rails I could purchase. I'm sure there are plenty of mechanics/technicians in the service bays that could have answered my questions but I had no access to them.
Thanks for all the information that I received here. I appreciate the time spent on posting photos and replies to my questions.
Randy

Old 09-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Randy - let me know if you would like me to take and post pictures from the bottom side of my truck... I hate to see anyone in a jam.. I wonder if you have the 15J Gooseneck prep instead? Same neighborhood - different brackets as I understand it..

Old 09-05-2014, 06:49 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It should be pretty clear if you have the prep package. There will be 5 black plastic covers in the bed where the mounting points are and you will also have the in-bed trailer plug on the left side. No prep package equals just 5 plain old flat spots in the floor where the mounts should be.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Randy Klauk
Freshman User
Randy- Thanks for offering to post pix. I crawled under the truck - no brackets. When I was doing the 'meet your new truck' orientation with our salesman I saw 4 bolts in the area where the hitch rails would go. I asked if that was where I could bolt my rails to and he said yes. I asked if someone from the service dept could second his statement he brought a mechanic out and we looked through the wheel well and saw what looked like support bracing that I could use to anchor the rails to. Turns out the support bracing is where the middle area of the bed is bolted to and much too thin to use for a 5er mounting system. Just coincidence they appear to be in the exact place the rails will be located. I'm OK having to have the brackets installed because I thought the chance of finding a 2014 truck optioned just like I wanted when the 2015s were already on dealers lots were slim.
Matt: Knowing what I know now I can recognize the 5er mounting system and prep. I should have known when I noticed there wasn't a trailer plug connection in the bed. We had been at the dealer for 6 hours and it was getting late and I probably didn't ask more definitive questions. Plus, I'm sure that the event of getting a new truck went a long way in overriding good judgment. I would have bought the truck anyway even knowing it wasn't 5er prepped.
Thanks to you both for your help.
Randy

Old 09-06-2014, 08:54 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Don't feel bad. My dad bought a new Escape last year and when he brought it over to show it off he was telling me how he couldn't figure out how to put it in 4wd. I looked around for a few seconds and figured even if it was AWD it should have some sort of button or indicator. I got out of the car and looked underneath. Sure enough, just a front wheel drive. I said "dad did you even look?". He says well I told the damn salesman that I wanted 4wd! I think he was too embarrassed to go back the next day and try to make a swap. That is a kick in the a$$ when it is probably the last new car he will ever own.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Well Randy - I do feel your pain.... When we ordered my truck, the dealer left off the Lariat Interior package - telling me that since I decided to buy a Lariat instead of the XLT, that I would automatically get the Lariat Interior. Sounded logical to me anyway - buy a Lariat and it would come with the Lariat Interior.. We found out about two weeks past the point where the order could be changed that the truck was not getting the Lariat Interior... Important to note that you MUST buy the Lariat interior if you want heated seats!!!!! My wife about came unhinged! So now I have to install them myself.... Grrrrr.....

Well, good luck with the hitch and let us know how you're getting along..

Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Pull a 40' 5er coming in at 15,400. I think I have about 6K on this 5th wheel so far.

We do some long road trips with it and a lot of tri-state.
Senix, what the heck is that white stuff on the ground in that picture. did someone's washing machine over flow?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:45 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
The saga continues- I've determined I don't have a 5th wheel prep option on my truck regardless of what the salesman and mechanic assured me. I base that on reviewing the options listed on the window sticker and what the folks at Camping World told me after checking out my truck. Camping world wants $600 to put new rails in. They won't take the job of installing the rails from my old p/u due to liability issues and I certainly understand their position. I have found a place that installs hitches and they have no problem of installing my rails in our new p/u so will be going there next week.
I'm surprised at how little information I was able to get regarding this issue at the two Ford dealers I visited. No one in either parts department was aware of any Ford Factory rails I could purchase. I'm sure there are plenty of mechanics/technicians in the service bays that could have answered my questions but I had no access to them.
Thanks for all the information that I received here. I appreciate the time spent on posting photos and replies to my questions.
Randy

I'm no expert but I am on my 3rd Super Duty and I don't think there is any such thing as "Ford" in bed rails. The only 5th wheel prep I know of is the built in pucks that I have which provide installaion for the Reese hitch or the reese hitch sold by Ford. There are I think 2 choices 18K or 25K. I think that started with the 2011 MY. There has been a "towing" package for a number of years. That was a second 7 place plug in in the bed and a couple other things that escape me now. Truth is the fifth wheel prep doesn't do that much and it forces you to either buy the reese hitch or use one of several adapters that are on the market. All of which increases the cost to the consumer. And, before I get in trouble again I must add that B& W makes a hitch to use in the Ford preped bed. You are probably saving a bit of coin bu reusing your hitch or at least the bed rails. The one I had to put in my Ford was around 16 or 1700 bucks.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:08 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Well Randy - I do feel your pain.... When we ordered my truck, the dealer left off the Lariat Interior package - telling me that since I decided to buy a Lariat instead of the XLT, that I would automatically get the Lariat Interior. Sounded logical to me anyway - buy a Lariat and it would come with the Lariat Interior.. We found out about two weeks past the point where the order could be changed that the truck was not getting the Lariat Interior... Important to note that you MUST buy the Lariat interior if you want heated seats!!!!! My wife about came unhinged! So now I have to install them myself.... Grrrrr.....

Well, good luck with the hitch and let us know how you're getting along..
I would have refused delivery just like Gerry did on his 6 month order! You aren't obligated to follow through on an order unless you have a really bad dealer.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:24 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Randy- Thanks for offering to post pix. I crawled under the truck - no brackets. When I was doing the 'meet your new truck' orientation with our salesman I saw 4 bolts in the area where the hitch rails would go. I asked if that was where I could bolt my rails to and he said yes. I asked if someone from the service dept could second his statement he brought a mechanic out and we looked through the wheel well and saw what looked like support bracing that I could use to anchor the rails to. Turns out the support bracing is where the middle area of the bed is bolted to and much too thin to use for a 5er mounting system. Just coincidence they appear to be in the exact place the rails will be located. I'm OK having to have the brackets installed because I thought the chance of finding a 2014 truck optioned just like I wanted when the 2015s were already on dealers lots were slim.
Matt: Knowing what I know now I can recognize the 5er mounting system and prep. I should have known when I noticed there wasn't a trailer plug connection in the bed. We had been at the dealer for 6 hours and it was getting late and I probably didn't ask more definitive questions. Plus, I'm sure that the event of getting a new truck went a long way in overriding good judgment. I would have bought the truck anyway even knowing it wasn't 5er prepped.
Thanks to you both for your help.
Randy
here is a frame from Reese that adds the Puck mounting system
(all under bed)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30126-Reese-Elite-Series-Rail-Kit-Ford-Super-Duty-2011-2015-/400694390851?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4b3f3043&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: What kind of 5er/TT/trailer do you pull with your 6.7?