1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Fuel System scenario

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 PM
allenmjbj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Fuel System scenario

I have a 2006 F-350 diesel. I still have a "water in fuel" message after draining the water and replacing the fuel filter and water separator filter. There was a lot of dirt/grit and brown sludge on the water separator filter and in the basin where I drained the water fuel mixture. Possible bacteria?Additionally I have a check engine light - P0460 error code too. Noticed awhile back that my fuel gauge was acting a bit erratic (not operating or sometimes spiking) before the error code arose. Gauge works fine now.
1. What product or method is best to treat the brown sludge?
2. Should I flash the system before looking into the fuel level sensor?
3. Any truth to partially lifting the bed for an easier means to replace or clean the fuel sending sensor/float system?
4. Is there a means to clean the water separator sensor, or just replace?
5. Finally, what fuel additives are recommended for best methods in maintaining a clean fuel system?

Old 04-23-2014, 03:13 AM
Coronado
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by allenmjbj
I have a 2006 F-350 diesel. I still have a "water in fuel" message after draining the water and replacing the fuel filter and water separator filter. There was a lot of dirt/grit and brown sludge on the water separator filter and in the basin where I drained the water fuel mixture. Possible bacteria?Additionally I have a check engine light - P0460 error code too. Noticed awhile back that my fuel gauge was acting a bit erratic (not operating or sometimes spiking) before the error code arose. Gauge works fine now.
1. What product or method is best to treat the brown sludge?
2. Should I flash the system before looking into the fuel level sensor?
3. Any truth to partially lifting the bed for an easier means to replace or clean the fuel sending sensor/float system?
4. Is there a means to clean the water separator sensor, or just replace?
5. Finally, what fuel additives are recommended for best methods in maintaining a clean fuel system?

On your WIF light, your sensor is more than likely shorted on the inside where it goes into the filter housing. You should be able to remove it and clean the entire area the sensor resides in.

1. If your concerned about algae or bacteria in your fuel, you can add a fuel additive that will counter act both. I would treat the fuel tank and find another place to fuel for now. The junk just kinda settles there after the years, its bound to happen to everyone eventually I reckon. The biggest helper being fueling at a place that uses the fuel quickly like a truck stop, and proper fuel system maintenance.

2. Having the PCM reflashed at Ford may fix your P0460, as it seems to be he accepted fix else where on the net. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...-p0460-194586/

3. I would extinguish all means of troubleshooting before trying to lift the bed and replace the sender.

4. You can remove and clean the assembly of the bad stuff you find in it, if it's bad enough though, replacement will be necessary.

5. I personally use Opti-lube products. Their fuel additive has always treated me good and I find it to quit down my injectors quite a bit. They have multiple formulations, but the only 2 I use are the Winter blend additive, and the XPD additive. It is quite pricey, but I believe in it.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 AM
mudfuel06
Elder User
You need to pull the HFCM cover and clean all of the junk out of it. You'll need the new gasket for it from Ford, about $80 from them or cheaper online. Buy a couple cans of carb cleaner and have at it. I just went through this with mine, also try to find straight diesel, not the bio crap that most places seem to have now.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 PM
allenmjbj
New User
Thanks for the prompt reply. I was hoping that I could remove the sensor and clean it as a first attempt before having to purchase another. My plans are to check with Ford for a reflash for the P0460 and hope that solves it. Thanks for the tip on Opti-Lube. Much appreciative.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:23 PM
allenmjbj
New User
Mudfuel06- I've read where pulling the HFCM unit out after installing a fuel disconnect kit is a worthwhile process to fully clean the unit. What are your thoughts of this vs just removing the cover? The fuel stop I use is also frequented by most of the school buses in our part of town, so there is a vast turn over of fuel. I'd love to pull my tank and have it cleaned out. Too bad there isn't some sort of removable device that could be inserted in the tank opening when pumping fuel to catch a lot of this debris. Something sort of like a coffee filter fine mesh screen. I appreciate your help as well.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:33 PM
mudfuel06
Elder User
Originally Posted by allenmjbj
Mudfuel06- I've read where pulling the HFCM unit out after installing a fuel disconnect kit is a worthwhile process to fully clean the unit. What are your thoughts of this vs just removing the cover? The fuel stop I use is also frequented by most of the school buses in our part of town, so there is a vast turn over of fuel. I'd love to pull my tank and have it cleaned out. Too bad there isn't some sort of removable device that could be inserted in the tank opening when pumping fuel to catch a lot of this debris. Something sort of like a coffee filter fine mesh screen. I appreciate your help as well.
I probably should have pulled the whole setup, but I didn't have the fuel line disconnect tools available. However, after about a tank and a half of straight diesel, my light has stayed off (knocking on wood). I know I pulled at least a handful of pink goo out.