Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reliability

Hey everyone,
I am downsizing (payments) from a 2008 ram 2500 cummins. I don't drive terribly often any more. Maybe once every week or two. I'd also want it for camping trips and some four wheeling. Last, occasionally towing maybe a light toyota truck on a trailer, or one of the bigger U-Haul vans.

I am mechanically inclined, but want something pretty reliable for those trips.

I am upside down on the ram and wanting to get out of debt. So I am wondering if this could be fairly reliable, cheap transportation that is still cool and useful. Here are three trucks I am eyeballing. Let me know your thoughts.

79 ford custom

1976 Ford f-250 Highboy

Used 1974 Ford F250 for Sale in Westminster-Denver CO 80030 Choice One Motors

I guess I am worried I'll be getting myself into a new, and potentially deeper whole, but I have always loved these trucks!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:24 AM
jamusfam
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any truck is an investment. But these Trucks can be very reliable.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 PM
61steven
Elder User
All of these trucks are carb engines. That in itself poses a reliability risk. The 300, 351m/400, 460, and 360/390 engines are all very reliable workhorse engines. All of them have a fair amount of aftermarket parts and parts store availability.

The C6 and 4 speed manuals that came in dents are near bullet proof.

the axles, especially on f250s are very strong and reliable.

My advice would be to find one in the absolute best condition you can afford. One that has all of the old, worn out components already replaced.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The '74 is gonna have drum brakes all around, and that price is too much for that truck.

The '79 looks in good shape, lifted, wheels and tires. I bet the guy wants a heap though because he didnt put a price.

The '76 looks good too. A little bit of maintenance is mentioned, but nothing really mechanical.

I would see about the '76 and '79 and take the one that you can get a super price on. You will need cash to put into it to get it reliable

Old 04-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
The '74 is gonna have drum brakes all around, and that price is too much for that truck.
Ok, I think that is out.

The '79 looks in good shape, lifted, wheels and tires. I bet the guy wants a heap though because he didnt put a price.
Haven't heard anything from this guy.

The '76 looks good too. A little bit of maintenance is mentioned, but nothing really mechanical.

I would see about the '76 and '79 and take the one that you can get a super price on. You will need cash to put into it to get it reliable
I talked to the guy with the 76 and he was very nice. He lives about 3.5 hours away from me though. He said it runs very well after he put the new ignition system in and said that he would trust it to drive anywhere. I may ask him to meet me half way for some piece of mind. He said the box on the passenger floor board is a speaker. He sent me these pics: Do you see anything i should ask about or be worried about?

Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
The bed is from a 78/79, has the 2 doors. So potentially you could make it 3 tanks. The snout is missing off of the aircleaner.

I personally dont care as much about cosmetics as I do about being able to drive it. If i were you, i would take your truck, rent a trailer and go get it, halfway would be fair. Then, if you are driving it back you can get a feel for how it drives and sounds. If something isnt right, you could drive it up on the trailer and tow it the rest of the way.

$2400 isnt going to get you a problem-free truck. But it looks like a good price to me. Especially if there are few around.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:27 PM
jamusfam
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True. I paid 1100 for mine but it does need TLC but that's why I bought it.... To work on it while I use it. But doesn't look too shabby to me. Have him send pics of the underside

Old 04-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On my '78, excellent reliability came after catching up with maintenance. With the older truck, best to expect to spend some time and money for this to meet your goals. Brakes, steering/suspension, cooling system, fuel system, and engine tuneup may need attention.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
That makes sense and should be doable. I guess I was hoping to hear that they can be reliable even know this one would be over 38 years old...

I have some more media to share. I just want to get as many eyes on it as possible since I can't drive it easily myself right now. Let me know if you notice anything odd or that I should ask about. And thank you so much for helping me!

he cleaned up the interior a little bit.

First video of the "bad" side of the truck and engine bay

Second video of cold start of the truck

3rd video of bed and revving

4th video of new exhaust system and next to the truck while running

5th video of engine bay while running

6th video of frame in the front

Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 PM
spikinfool05
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that highboy is a $1200 to a $1500 truck.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Originally Posted by spikinfool05
that highboy is a $1200 to a $1500 truck.
Brilliant insight as always.

It needs the horn, ashtray, lighter, grill insert. Check under that "new" carpet.

I think you could get him down for sure, plus you are having to drive to see/buy it.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 PM
spikinfool05
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=Jklnhyd;14282681]Brilliant insight as always.

ok then guess i wont anwser next time. good luck with the truck and have fun.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:15 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I realize markets vary in different parts of the country, but $2500 does seem high for it. Nothing on it looks really good. The button under the dash tells me there is some wiring hackjob stuff to be looking for. Previous owners do some weird stuff. This is a good way to burn a truck down. Ask me how I know

That being said, it isn't a deal breaker, but you should spend your first weekend crawling under it, poking and prodding it, and really see what is wrong.

I have been slowly redoing my crewcab, and now it is pretty reliable. I drive it every day about 40 miles round trip. There is no reason yours cant be the same.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is surface rust on the radiator core support; check around the bottom of it for holes rusted though. Check the cab mounts and around the cowl also for rust.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed that $2500 is way too much...considering:
1. He took out the radio and ashtray, no TC shift ****, sloppy rug install, no clutch pedal rubber - Why is that?
2. Driver's mirror looks.....misplaced. No Ranger XLT badging on the exterior, lower right side moldings missing due to getting banged up, does he have them? The cancer on the right rear wheel well...will it stop you from getting an inspection sticker?
3. Highboys' frames are 4" narrower than 78 - 79 trucks. The bed is from a 78 - 79...looks off kilter. How is it anchored, considering the mounting holes are wider on a 78 -79 than on a highboy bed?
4. From the videos, the gas gauge doesn't work, and on his "cold start," the oil pressure gauge hardly moved. You know when oil is cold, pressure is way up there. Red flag there, for me. Oil gauge moved to the middle when warmed up and goosed, but came back down to low - or so it seemed.

I know it could be wiring issues in the dash or an old oil sending unit, fuel sending unit or gauge, etc, etc, blah, blah....but you asked for extra eyes and questions for the dude. One question stands out, though....why is he selling after putting in a bunch of "new" stuff? Was it not running before?

And at 135K, timing chain, cam (depending if he used ZDDP in the oil), etc, might need looking into. Don't get me wrong, they're very reliable.....just needs some dollars and time invested.

Please excuse the novel.....Also, I (personally) would not trust a kid who would "work" on or drive trucks like ours while wearing sandals. That's just me.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Reliability