1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Tonneau?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 AM
schrod
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dscabra
I've had really good experiences with Access soft covers. I always bought their best model, but suspect even their low end cover would be a good quality piece.
I just bought their Limited version. Has a lifetime warranty and Access gets nothing but excellent reviews from all who own their covers. The Limited is their top of the line cover and right now is sold including a few extras at no extra charge.

Yes, it fits with the plastic rail covers.

Last edited by schrod; 04-13-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
The Bak-Flip works with them, don't know if you want that type of cover though. You live in the UK and drive that beast? Must look like a monster in that environment!

Not all our roads are tiny I've had American cars & trucks for the last 35 years & don't find it a problem, although our car parking spaces can be a bit on the small side.LOL
I don't want a folding cover, I will be putting in a 5th wheel & I want to be able to put my Harley in the back occasionally which is why I need something that can be got out of the way easily. I've had a hinged soft cover on my Dakota & that was OK but a PITA when you wanted to use the whole bed for bulky stuff, my F150 came with an ARE solid cover which was great quality & looked real good, but you couldn't carry anything bulky. I've asked my local parts supplier to get me some prices on a couple of the recommendations you guys have made.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:55 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
Not all our roads are tiny I've had American cars & trucks for the last 35 years & don't find it a problem, although our car parking spaces can be a bit on the small side.LOL
I don't want a folding cover, I will be putting in a 5th wheel & I want to be able to put my Harley in the back occasionally which is why I need something that can be got out of the way easily. I've had a hinged soft cover on my Dakota & that was OK but a PITA when you wanted to use the whole bed for bulky stuff, my F150 came with an ARE solid cover which was great quality & looked real good, but you couldn't carry anything bulky. I've asked my local parts supplier to get me some prices on a couple of the recommendations you guys have made.
I understand, look at the pic i posted, you only lose about a couple of inches when it's folded, the only thing is the rear window is completely covered.

I think it's cool that you have the SD in the UK, I'm sure you get some looks! You see all the programs with the guys towing a "Caravan" with Estates and Crossover SUV's, then here you come in the Mini "Lorry"!

Are there alot of pickup trucks in the UK?

Old 04-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Are there alot of pickup trucks in the UK?

There are quite a lot, when the pound was real strong against the dollar everyone & their dog seemed to be importing them, mainly F150s & Rams, SDs are pretty thin on the ground though due to their size & I was really lucky to find this one, I had decided that I didn't want a 6.0 litre as everything I read/heard was bad so it was either a good 7.3 or a load more money to get a later '08 up truck, then this appeared on ebay, it was in Spain (1500 miles away) but been in dry storage for around 5 years with only 19,000km (the truck is Canadian spec) it was sold brand new in the UK & I reckon it is probably the lowest mileage 7.3 in the world! It certainly drives like a new truck, everything feels tight & no squeaks or rattles anywhere.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:29 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
There are quite a lot, when the pound was real strong against the dollar everyone & their dog seemed to be importing them, mainly F150s & Rams, SDs are pretty thin on the ground though due to their size & I was really lucky to find this one, I had decided that I didn't want a 6.0 litre as everything I read/heard was bad so it was either a good 7.3 or a load more money to get a later '08 up truck, then this appeared on ebay, it was in Spain (1500 miles away) but been in dry storage for around 5 years with only 19,000km (the truck is Canadian spec) it was sold brand new in the UK & I reckon it is probably the lowest mileage 7.3 in the world! It certainly drives like a new truck, everything feels tight & no squeaks or rattles anywhere.
The 7.3L is one of my favorite engines, you definetly got lucky on that, with such low miles, one in good shape still commands a premium. I see you also have a Harley, sure you're not a closet American? LOL On the flip side, just purchased my better half a Range Rover Sport last year, best SUV purchase I've ever made, the fit and finish, and material quality is so much better than the domestic vehicles we've purchased over the years, at least on the interior. As far as a pickup goes, I can't see ever buying anything other than a Ford though. Good luck on the Tonneau!

Old 04-13-2014, 03:48 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
I don't want a folding cover.
Did a little more research, there is a Pace Edwards: Full Metal Jack Rabbit, it seems to fit the criteria you listed, it's not a fold up, it is a hard retractable cover, the cannister doesn't take alot of space in the front of the bed. The only thing is, it's pricey, not sure of the exchange rate, but price range is $1,500.00 to $1,700.00 USD (according to what extra options you want).

Old 04-13-2014, 05:03 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Jack rabbit cover on my 96' 250 and love it doesn't take up too much bed space about 10". The cover is very solid and rolls up and can click to stop I think every 12" which can be handy at times. I want to get one for my 00' f250 but am in the process of getting the engine 100% and am running out of money real quick but it on the list of things to get

Old 04-13-2014, 05:17 PM
prime81
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never dealt with the Bak-Roll, is it a soft roll up type? Like I said earleir, the one that I had purchased my son is durable to say the least. I usually find some "issue" with everything, but so far, it's been money well spent, have no complaints. IDK about the model you mentioned though.

It is a hard top with vinyl smooth topping, 400lbs capacity. Ordered mine with a bakbox 2... total to my door was $998.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I really like my Pace Edwards Jackrabbit. It seems to be a great cover. Of course I did get mine for free, so that makes it even better.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:36 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
if you need something that does not leak and give under the wieght of heavy snow....a fiberglass lid is the only way to go.

things to stay clear of in general.....be careful of mail order and return policies that put the burden of fitment on you.....meaning restock fee and pay return shipping.

My take is once you provide your vechicle information....the folks who sell these for a living should be responsible for exact fitment.

when you narrow down to a product selection google product name review and read up on the good bad and ugly. most common complain on roll and fold models are the difficulty of closure when cold and leaks.

I started looking into the roll/fold, then switch into looking into lids...but then the price of a lid is so close to a cap...changed directions again for a cap....but before I could shell out 2600 for a hi cap...found the same model on clist for 500.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:59 PM
glennemay
Senior User
Lund Genesis

I need to get a tonneau for my truck, it has factory bed caps, which I would prefer to keep if possible. I want either a soft roll up or retractable hard cover. Any recommendations or ones to steer clear of?

So when I bought my DRW I wanted to be able to get some dry storage when I took the wife and kids out for a weekend. I wanted a cover that could come off and leave no trace on the truck (Mainly because if I had the rails of a roll up on the truck when the kids were loading things, I knew it would never survive.)

I went for the lund genesis Tri-Fold. I seriously could not be happier.. On and off the truck in less than 60 seconds. Leave everything in place, flips up real easy.

LUNDs link is: Genesis™ Tri-fold Tonneau

just my .02 but they have been great when something broke I called their customer service and they rushed it right out to me. No questions asked. Great company to deal with.

Glenn

Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 PM
prime81
Senior User
I'll post pics once the Roll-X is installed on my new F250.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:04 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Cost wise I picked up a bestop easy roll for around $300. I have had it since last year and does its job. A couple things I don't like are the velcro sliding which forced me to lose a rubber corner peice and the plast T handle screws in front which lock it to the rails. I think if they were of a metal variety it would be a bit more solid when trying to remove. For the cost it does the job I need which is keep people from using my truck as a trash can along with keeping eyes out.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:24 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Cost wise I picked up a bestop easy roll for around $300. I have had it since last year and does its job. A couple things I don't like are the velcro sliding which forced me to lose a rubber corner peice and the plast T handle screws in front which lock it to the rails. I think if they were of a metal variety it would be a bit more solid when trying to remove. For the cost it does the job I need which is keep people from using my truck as a trash can along with keeping eyes out.
If I found someone had pit trash in my bed I would throw it out of the bed wherever I happened to be.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
It was more a preventable comment. Not that people have thrown trash in mine. Just dont want it to happen.

Quick Reply: Which Tonneau?