1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Radiator woes continue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Wayne Waldrep
A quick call to Stant......there are NO caps longer than the one I have. How is that possible!!!!!

And look at this part drawing from Van Pelt....what the heck is part #8067? Looks like some kind of tube sticking into the top of the radiator...which would do what to the overflow tube that is made into the radiator neck?? And how does is connect? Never seen one....anybody?

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...48-51truck.jpg
Several sources show either ¾" or 1" deep caps (Mike's Radiator, View Products 541- 660- 7618). 1" still isn't deep enough based upon your measurements. So here is the part that Dennis Carpenter recommends Radiator Cap Original | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts. You might call them and ask how deep it is.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I don't think there's a problem with the NAPA cap. The spring of the cap gets compressed a small amount when installed. On a 4 psi cap, there won't be much compression. If pressure goes above 4 psi, it will lift the rubber by compressing the spring further, and blow out the overflow tube. I'd guess on mine the spring is compressed no more than 1/4" when installed. The spring is never completely compressed.

No part # 8067 listed, I can only guess it is a "stilling tube", it would seat on the bottom of the neck and the cap would seat against it. Gives you a datum for initial fill, but I've never seen one on any of our trucks.

Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I don't think there's a problem with the NAPA cap. The spring of the cap gets compressed a small amount when installed. On a 4 psi cap, there won't be much compression. If pressure goes above 4 psi, it will lift the rubber by compressing the spring further, and blow out the overflow tube. I'd guess on mine the spring is compressed no more than 1/4" when installed. The spring is never completely compressed.

No part # 8067 listed, I can only guess it is a "stilling tube", it would seat on the bottom of the neck and the cap would seat against it. Gives you a datum for initial fill, but I've never seen one on any of our trucks.
I agree with Ross on 8067.

The problem with the cap that Wayne has is that it is not seating against the bottom of the radiator neck so the radiator through the overflow is open to the atmosphere so it cannot build up pressure. Am I right Wayne?

But, IMHO this still does not explain why he is "burping" out so much fluid. I still think something is locking air in there.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
As I understood his measurements, the neck is 1.09" deep, and his cap is at least 1.4" tall uncompressed.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
As I understood his measurements, the neck is 1.09" deep, and his cap is at least 1.4" tall uncompressed.
Yes but then in post #27 he says that the new cap is only .844" deep which leaves him short. I agree with you that the old cap should work (see post #25). I still don't think that his radiator cap is the problem rather air trapped in the system.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I agree, Pete.

I used to own a car that was notorioous for air-locking at the heater. The trick recommended there was to drill a 1/8" hole on top of the upper heater connection, near the end of the stub. When filling you would pull the hose almost all the way off, exposing the hole, to let air escape. Once water started coming out of the hole, slide the hose over it and clamp.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No the cap is 1 1/4" from the TOP of the cap. That's just how they show it in the pic and that's what mine measures with a caliper. But, from the underside of the cap where it seats on the top of the radiator neck to the bottom of the rubber gasket that is supposed to seal is just under .9". Called Dennis Carpenter and talked at length with them. He grabbed the cap for my truck which Pete linked above and that cap measured 5/8" from the underside to sealing surface. What he and I both think is this.....when I put the cap on it should be like all caps I've ever put on. You press the cap down with your hand just a little bit and turn it. This would be like Ross said....his only compresses 1/4". Problem is mine doesn't compress at all. The spring (or bottom of cap to radiator) never compresses before turning so its not touching the lip on the inside of the radiator neck. He suggested I make a small rubber washer kinda like in a garden hose to take up the slack. This might would work but seems silly to be doing this. I ordered the correct cap and referenced multiple caps online and on the phone and none measure right.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Heck I don't know. Me and Vince from DC agreed that with the cap not sealing enough when you put it on and the slightest bit of pressure increases it will instantly start running out the overflow....which is exactly what is happening. I have to get this figured out. Seems like a different cap is out of the question since none measure longer than the one i have.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Go to a radiator shop, they will recognize the filler neck and know which series of caps works. But it could be there is no 4 psi cap with the correct dimensions.

Or they can sweat on the correct neck, very quickly and easily.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:58 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
I agree, Pete.

I used to own a car that was notorioous for air-locking at the heater. The trick recommended there was to drill a 1/8" hole on top of the upper heater connection, near the end of the stub. When filling you would pull the hose almost all the way off, exposing the hole, to let air escape. Once water started coming out of the hole, slide the hose over it and clamp.
That would work well!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by Wayne Waldrep
Heck I don't know. Me and Vince from DC agreed that with the cap not sealing enough when you put it on and the slightest bit of pressure increases it will instantly start running out the overflow....which is exactly what is happening. I have to get this figured out. Seems like a different cap is out of the question since none measure longer than the one i have.
It only take 4 lbs to overcome the pressure. The real question is why is it expanding cap or no cap. Liquid does not expand but air does so you must have air in there. Assuming that you have a heater Ross's trick is worth a try. But I would put the gallon jug on the overflow first (put the tube all the way to the bottom) to see if cycling cold to hot and back again reduces the amount of fluid burped out each time which means the air is working itself out of the system naturally. If the tube is in the bottom of the jug as the engine cools it should suck the fluid back into the cooling system.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Just got off the phone with Stant's engineering dept. They are emailing me a group of tables that will allow me to see if a different neck has been put on at some point. They told me to measure the radiator and call them back...very nice folks. Also told me that the brass part I was measuring to didn't in fact touch the neck. On a flathead radiator I needed to measure to the very underside of the cap. So that throws my measurements off some. Waiting on tables now.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Here's what I got from Stant. It's a pdf file. I put it on my website so y'all can download or view it if you want.

http://www.waynewaldrep.com/picturehosting/SAEJ164.pdf

Just for reference I've converted dimension "J" and "L" to inches.
J= .215-.225
L= .514-.524

I have to stop back by NAPA and borrow calipers but I can tell you if my "L" number is actually around .8-.9 then...ummmmm. I'll double check the measurement and get back. Thanks for all the discussion you guys!!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
My "L" came out to .827"....needless to say after lots of measuring and info my cap isn't even close to sealing.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
I hope it is not a head gasket....my gut isn't feeling good about that...
I don't know my flatty's though...but if you get an immediate leak before it warms up it seems pressure is building right away. And in my experience, it doesn't neccessarily have to be pulling coolant into the cylinder on the intake stroke. Hmmmm....I am subscribed...and I hope I am way off here.
I still think you might want to get one of those radiator pressure tester tools.
hook the thing up and see if pressure builds when starting the engine.
You said as soon as you put the cap on, it starts flowing out the overflow tube.
Where is this pressure coming from when it's cold? Even if your cap was defective or the wrong cap, it is creating pressure immediately and pushing fluid out the overflow tube. Classic case of head gasket leak...
Anybody???

Quick Reply: Radiator woes continue