Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

April Chat and Off Topic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:42 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I got the car back together and delivered back to it's owners. It smoked a little bit at first start up, I assume it was cleaning all the oil out of the head and cylinders from it being upside-down on my engine stand.

... all in all, I just want to say "bless you, Honda designers, for making your cars stupidly simple and easy to work on."

Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 AM
F250W6.0
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question

Good Morning All !! I have a question (as always) about cleaning the EGR Valve port. How is the best way to do it vacuum? I have had a coolant leak so I took the EGR hose and housing off and found that it looks to me like when I had the EGR and Oil cooler replaced two years ago someone replaced the O-ring with the wrong one. here is a picture of it
[/IMG]

I drew red lines to indicate where the O-ring is susposed to be it is not a very good pic. Also have pic of what I am calling the EGR port, where the EGR valve goes.

[/IMG] Hope this works

Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 AM
F250W6.0
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by cookie88
I had not noticed that. That's awesome, I love harbor freight.
Scott Do not know if you knew it or not but all the Pittsburg hand tools have lifetime warranty. And I have found it to cost effective to be in the ITC (Inside Track Club)

Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Didn't know that. Talked to the lady that runs the Jacksonville chamber of commerce today. She said they are progressing very slowly. Said she would be surprised if they were ready to open before October.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Mysterman68
Elder User
Gggood Mmmorning Arkansas,

Happy Tuesday!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Mysterman68
Elder User
Gggood Morning Arkansas!

Has Arkansas played their spring game yet? Want to see what type of talent we might have this year.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's only Wednesday? I need a vacation...
Originally Posted by F250W6.0
Good Morning All !! I have a question (as always) about cleaning the EGR Valve port. How is the best way to do it vacuum? I have had a coolant leak so I took the EGR hose and housing off and found that it looks to me like when I had the EGR and Oil cooler replaced two years ago someone replaced the O-ring with the wrong one. here is a picture of it. Also have pic of what I am calling the EGR port, where the EGR valve goes.
No reason for them to have done that, if they used the Ford o-ring kit that comes in the oil cooler "kit"...everything is there. That looks pretty normal for an active EGR port. Now those of use that have an "inactive" port that was cleaned during an oil cooler replacement...still have a clean port. Are you saying you had another coolant leak while on your trip to the Buffalo...again?
Originally Posted by Mysterman68
Has Arkansas played their spring game yet? Want to see what type of talent we might have this year.
It'll be a week from this Saturday.

Arkansas Razorbacks 2014 Spring Game Set

And it looks like those on *** Cable will be able to see it live on TV.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:15 PM
F250W6.0
Mountain Pass
[quote=zhilton;14268445]It's only Wednesday? I need a vacation...No reason for them to have done that, if they used the Ford o-ring kit that comes in the oil cooler "kit"...everything is there. That looks pretty normal for an active EGR port. Now those of use that have an "inactive" port that was cleaned during an oil cooler replacement...still have a clean port. Are you saying you had another coolant leak while on your trip to the Buffalo...again?
Hey Zach .. Good to hear from you, yes had coolant leak on way home from Bull Shoals replaced the EGR cooler hose and Turbo o-rings and gasket as well as turbo outlet hose. I did not fix leak though, I have leak still yet and suspect it the EGR cooler tube so I am seriously thinking of pulling it and welding thus making it inactive.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Mysterman68
Elder User
Arkansas Razorbacks 2014 Spring Game Set

And it looks like those on *** Cable will be able to see it live on TV.[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanx for the info. And I don't have *** cable.......that sucks.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Hey Zach .. Good to hear from you, yes had coolant leak on way home from Bull Shoals replaced the EGR cooler hose and Turbo o-rings and gasket as well as turbo outlet hose. I did not fix leak though, I have leak still yet and suspect it the EGR cooler tube so I am seriously thinking of pulling it and welding thus making it inactive.
Without looking, it's possible it's the elbow hose leaking. The only problem with "restricting your EGR flow" is your truck will throw a CEL for low/insufficient EGR flow; if you weren't aware. Can you see the hose under the cooler? It should be blue if they updated to the newer material when they did your cooler two years ago. The OEM was orange...and I seem to vaguely recall there was an issue with some of them leaking over time. Also, you'll still have coolant flowing to the cooler, even if it's "restricted". Allot of the delete kits offer a J shaped tube that keeps the coolant flowing from the oil cooler back into the manifold.
Originally Posted by Mysterman68
Hey, thanx for the info. And I don't have *** cable.......that sucks.
Guess your just going to have to drive to Fayetteville. Other than the road destruction between mile marker 84 and 77 (Russellville & London)...it's a pretty good drive these days. Everytime we go to LR, we've been slipping off through the woods (Hwy 22 FSM to Dardenelle; Hwy 7 across the river; Hwy 247 out to Pottsville) to avoid the frame shaking mess. For us it's 10-12 miles short and about the same time frame. Also helps that mill under the hood conserve that high-dollar fuel running at 60mph.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:56 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Hard to see exactly what your arrow is pointing at Harry. The black tube under the alt. is heater, obviously, then there is the oil cooler coolant outlet that is connected to the EGR cooler by the blue hose that has a big o-ring that can leak, and the large donut gasket between the intake manifold and front cover. That's about the only things in that area that can leak coolant on the top of the motor.

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_018.jpg

Old 04-18-2014, 12:01 PM
F250W6.0
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Hard to see exactly what your arrow is pointing at Harry. The black tube under the alt. is heater, obviously, then there is the oil cooler coolant outlet that is connected to the EGR cooler by the blue hose that has a big o-ring that can leak, and the large donut gasket between the intake manifold and front cover. That's about the only things in that area that can leak coolant on the top of the motor.

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_018.jpg
The two small red lines indicate the two pieces that the comment refers to (the leak seems to be where these two pieces join) The large red line indicates where I see coolant at which seems to be at the top of the intake. The yellow line indicates the direction from which the coolant seems to be coming from. I am really sorry if this is difficult to follow I will try to make it plainer in another pic.

Last edited by F250W6.0; 04-18-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Changed picture
Old 04-18-2014, 12:43 PM
F250W6.0
Mountain Pass
Got the truck in my shop and gonna be livin in the shop till I get it torn down and runnin' again LOL

May be there awhile.................LOL

Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Happy Easter everyone! Good thing the rain held off for the day...hard to hunt those eggs when it's raining. Though I know of some kids that would hunt 'em rain or shine.
The two small red lines indicate the two pieces that the comment refers to (the leak seems to be where these two pieces join) The large red line indicates where I see coolant at which seems to be at the top of the intake. The yellow line indicates the direction from which the coolant seems to be coming from.
Surely they replaced the o-rings on top of the oil cooler when they replaced it? Unless you've managed to crack that cover (anything's possible, but unlikely)...I'm willing to bet it's one of the o-rings where the oil cooler seals against the underside of the oil filter housing. What do you think Tim?

Old 04-21-2014, 01:45 AM
F250W6.0
Mountain Pass
Found the CULPRIT !!!!!

Originally Posted by zhilton
Happy Easter everyone! Good thing the rain held off for the day...hard to hunt those eggs when it's raining. Though I know of some kids that would hunt 'em rain or shine.Surely they replaced the o-rings on top of the oil cooler when they replaced it? Unless you've managed to crack that cover (anything's possible, but unlikely)...I'm willing to bet it's one of the o-rings where the oil cooler seals against the underside of the oil filter housing. What do you think Tim?

Hey everyone I got the leak detected.Notice the area between the two arrows the O-ring is completely gone....Would this be caused from too high a concentration of antifreeze? Also what are your thoughts of the EGR delete the way Powerstrokehelps' Bill Hewitt does it????

Quick Reply: April Chat and Off Topic Thread