1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 PSD 350 seems to be drinking coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Duallymade
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 PSD 350 seems to be drinking coolant...

Hello out there,
I bought a 2005 f350dwr with the 6.0L back in May '13. when i got it it had 42k miles on it (that's right fellas 42k miles) I bought it to pull my tractor and 15' batwing mower. First or second time out pulling tractor with lesser mower (this is in July or August in Tampa, FL) i was pulling down I-4 near I-75 and wanted to see if truck would hold 70 mph while going up the "hill". Truck held speed to the top but on the way down computer alarmed to check gauges. Engine temp had spiked up into the red. immediately lifted off throttle coasted down the backside of the "hill" (anyone from Tampa and knows this area you know this hill is more like a slight change in elevation). Temp came back down for about 15 minutes or until I had to go up a long incline to a bridge over a road and a river. When it spiked this time i had to pull over because coasting wasn't pulling temp down fast enough to keep up with traffic. Anyhow I checked coolant res. it was fine. A few weeks later running empty to McDonalds and sitting in Drive-thru the temp spiked waaay up. checked fluid and it was very low (no temp spikes in between these two events) added almost 1.5gal of fleet coolant that day no problems for a while, but now I'm nervous so I began checking coolant level every once in a while (this isn't my daily driver truck sits a lot) and coolant continues to go down. Took to a well known shop that I use to see if there's a leak in the system somewhere. They got it 15psi, so apparently no leak. I replaced degas cap(?) on coolant reservoir before pressure check. No white chalky stuff but still losing coolant. in the last two months I may have put 600 miles on this thing 1,000 tops ,all empty no load (it's kinda fun to just drive it people get out of your way ), and there currently is no coolant in the reservoir itself. If system's sealed where's it going? Dang gallon of coolant a month is getting expensive when trucks just sitting most of the time and still doesn't help with running temp when loaded, but that'll be next question for another post this one's long enough... Trucks got an old super chip programmer. It typically stays in eco mode unless pulling heavy load (not very often anymore due to getting a job in construction and not mowing anymore). Has Airaid cold air intake with 3" exhaust pipe (just the pipe no emissions cleaners). I can hear "jet" blower fan kick on when pulling a load, so the fan seems to be working. I wouldn't think it's time for an EGR delete yet. Plus previous owner supposedly had heads studded. I looked but couldn't tell a difference. He had the receipt for them, so I suppose the work was done. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hate to say it but sounds like you may be dealing with a head gasket problem.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Duallymade
New User
Thanks Magnus...Ruined my weekend. Is there any diagnosing I can look for other than milky looking oil and such?
I also don't notice any burning coolant smell coming out of the exhaust or anything.

I'm not very mechanically inclined especially with diesel motors.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
If he studded with ARP, you'll be able to tell b/c ARP will be stamped on top of the stud. Open the hood and look around the edge of the valve cover. You'll see a few of the head studs, if needed clean off the top of the stud a little and you,ll see the stamp.

Does the receipt say if he used ford head gaskets or aftermarket? There are stories on the forum with aftermarket gaskets having problems.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Take a look in the 6.0 forum. Tons of info trouble shooting for EGR, degas, hoses, head gaskets and all problems related to coolant loss. There is a strip you can try to analyze the coolant for diesel contaminants which would indicate head gasket problems.

But perhaps your first check would be to make sure all your coolant hoses hold tight. Could be a simple leak.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Duallymade
New User
Thanks a lot for the info fellas. Especially the link. This forum is almost too big to try and search. I spent a couple hrs looking before posting.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Duallymade
New User
Supposedly all this work was done while in the dealership because he thought there was a head gasket issue while truck was still under full warranty. I haven't had a chance to look further into this, but thank you guys very much for the information... Full disclosure I'm a Toyota man, and I hear they've teamed up with Cummins for a "small" displacement 5.0L diesel which if that's the case I'll probably be trading my Tundra and this Ford in on one of those. If sales are good Ford GM and RAM better look out because Toyota's getting into the oil burner market with their own diesel from Hinu, and if it's as bulletproof as their 5.7L gas motor is they'll put Ford GM and RAM outta business in my opinion of course... Gun to the head to buy American it'll be Ford everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, no bailout mobiles here, but I drive way too much to have to continuously work on these trucks the way it seems they have to be worked on in order to run right. Thank you again though for the help.