SuperCab 4x4 Resto-Mod Cummins Swap Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 PM
NorthwestX360
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by impalaslayer
make sure you fix the KDP
I was thinking the same thing. The "killer dowel pin" can fall right into the timing gears and cause major damage. Here is a fix-it kit: '94-'98, 12V Dodge Turbo Diesel Killer Dowel Pin Repair Kit-Geno's Garage

Old 03-13-2014, 11:46 PM
bryanmartin
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NorthwestX360
I was thinking the same thing. The "killer dowel pin" can fall right into the timing gears and cause major damage. Here is a fix-it kit: '94-'98, 12V Dodge Turbo Diesel Killer Dowel Pin Repair Kit-Geno's Garage
Thanks guys. I know all about the KDP. In fact, I was a little nervous driving the donor truck home because I'm so paranoid about that. I'll get to it. Meanwhile, today I had a little time to rebuild the vacuum pump. I don't know if it needed it, but I know these are notorious places for leaks with higher mileage and the seal kit was pretty cheap.

Old pump, kinda grimy

Cleaned up with new vanes and seals

Done

Old 03-14-2014, 07:52 AM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Just wanted to pull up a chair and follow along. Looks like it will be an even better truck when you get the cummins in there. Some day I would like to be able to do the same but with a regular cab long bed 4wd and an 06 cummins.

Best of luck on your build

Old 03-14-2014, 09:23 AM
crrnchris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yup...love these! They never get old...

Old 03-14-2014, 07:19 PM
rollinblacksmoke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bryanmartin, looking good!!!!! i'll tune in to your build also!!!!! with your's, co425's, and chasetruck's builds and info, this is going to be GREAT!!!!!!!!! i have a 79 crew cab 4X4 that i want to put a 12 valve in also. it is currently a gas truck, but...........

Old 03-22-2014, 09:53 PM
bryanmartin
Elder User
30¢ KDP Repair

I'm amazed at what they charge for a KDP repair kit. Granted, the kits come with a cover gasket and main seal, but I'm re-gasketing the entire motor anyway.

I bought a thick washer at the hardware store for 30¢

Then I trimmed it to shape on the band saw and bench grinder

Perfect. The factory bolt had plenty length to be reused

Old 03-22-2014, 09:59 PM
bryanmartin
Elder User
Also got my head back from the machine shop, full valve job and seals, good as new.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am using the Advance Adapters spud shaft and adapter plate that mates the 4x4 NV4500 to a Ford NP205. I was not sure what kind of power it will hold but it is stronger than the clutch...

Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 PM
bryanmartin
Elder User
Originally Posted by Scot
I am using the Advance Adapters spud shaft and adapter plate that mates the 4x4 NV4500 to a Ford NP205. I was not sure what kind of power it will hold but it is stronger than the clutch...
Thanks, that's what I've been looking at. Have you put it together yet? Let me know how it goes.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:40 PM
psychlopath
Elder User
Originally Posted by bryanmartin
...Old pump, kinda grimy...Cleaned up with new vanes and seals...
In case youre interested in a little more fluid capacity than that anemic Dodge reservoir holds, as far as I know all of the Saginaw type steering pumps have reservoirs that interchange.

While the standard "Canned ham," style reservoir probably wont fit with your pump, there are remote reservoirs and some canted styles with a little cut out that work well.

I have a "VE," pump and found that for good capacity, the reservoir off of a late model Avalanche has good capacity and the notch that allows it to fit around the fuel pump.

If you're interested, I can send you the exact model of vehicle I got my reservoir off of later in the week when I get home, later in the week.

A private message wouldn't hurt to remind me, as it pings in my E-mail. In my experience, the stock Dodge reservoir works OK, but make it hard to bleed the steering because of how little fluid it holds.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Got close to 170K since build on it and it has a trailer behind it probably 25% of the time.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 PM
bryanmartin
Elder User
Originally Posted by psychlopath
In case youre interested in a little more fluid capacity than that anemic Dodge reservoir holds, as far as I know all of the Saginaw type steering pumps have reservoirs that interchange.

While the standard "Canned ham," style reservoir probably wont fit with your pump, there are remote reservoirs and some canted styles with a little cut out that work well.

I have a "VE," pump and found that for good capacity, the reservoir off of a late model Avalanche has good capacity and the notch that allows it to fit around the fuel pump.

If you're interested, I can send you the exact model of vehicle I got my reservoir off of later in the week when I get home, later in the week.

A private message wouldn't hurt to remind me, as it pings in my E-mail. In my experience, the stock Dodge reservoir works OK, but make it hard to bleed the steering because of how little fluid it holds.
Awesome, thanks. I had no idea about the dodge reservoir. This is the beauty of the forums!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 PM
bryanmartin
Elder User
Engine all torn apart and degreased. Looks much better now. After cleaning and priming, I chose VHT Black Pearl. It's more of a metallic grey. I usually paint my engines black, but plain black was a little too plain for me on this build. I think this color looks great.

Also, in researching the best options for an engine stand I found this heavy duty unit. I also found that the slots for the arms lined up perfectly (almost) with the motor mount bosses (a little grinding on the stand was needed). This allows me to side-mount the engine to get at the block-to-trans adapter, rear seal, etc.

Last edited by bryanmartin; 03-26-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-27-2014, 02:45 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Side mounting is an amazing idea!

Old 03-27-2014, 03:20 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Looking good man. Like the side mounting. Bet it doesn't bounce on the stand as bad as my cummins did when I rebuilt mine.

Quick Reply: SuperCab 4x4 Resto-Mod Cummins Swap Build