Looking to relocate south.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking to relocate south.

Hi all,

I am looking to move to Florida next year. I have been looking in the panhandle area. Somewhere between Pensacola and Panama City areas. Anyone from there and does anyone have any insight or other areas to check. I don't want to be in a major city, but not to far from a bigger one anyways. Reasonable housing, and not far from water, ocean or lake. Decent job opportunities is always nice too. Looking to rent first to make sure I like the area, then buy.

Any insight is appreciated greatly.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Might look into the Crestview area. Not too big, not too small. Can commute to bigger areas for a decent job. I would recommend Mexico Beach but not too many jobs there. But a beautiful beach area.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Thanks Allen! What do you think about the Panama City area yourself? That was my original choice but I've read a lot about it lately. One big negative I hear about are the Spring Breakers. But other then that what is it like?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:14 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Well it is spring break now as we speak. They are 18-23 yr old bullet proof kids. They do get rowdy but not until after 11:30 or so a.m. They trash the streets and parking lots, but for the most part there are not that many incidences that you hear about of them destroying private property. Panama City Beach used to be a beautiful place until they built all the damn condos on the beach side. I have lived here for 54 years and counting and remember being able to see dunes. There are still parts west of here in Bay county where there are still dunes left. Also east of here around Mexico Beach. As far as industry goes there is tourism and not a whole lot else. There are a few major employers here like American Cyanimd that operates a chemical plant. We have a paper mill that used to be International Paper Company, St. Joe Paper Company. And there is Tyndall Air Force Base that has 1 of (I think) 3 F-22 Raptor training squadrons. Also Naval Support Activity base. They do ALOT of underwater warfare research. Also build LCAC Boats. Air cushion,hovercraft or whatever they call them. Weh also have an almost brand new International Airport they shoved down taxpayers throats about 6 years ago. It is SUPPOSEDLY going to bring in all kinds of new industries. My Beautiful Bride is calling me so I gotta go. Check back with me later if you have any questions.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got a buddy born and raise in Florida. His folks are still there. He is heading down to Oregon
soon but I can ask him about what your looking for and get his honest opinion
if you like? He has been trying to talk me into moving down there so I hear a lot about it.
Anyway if interested I will ask and post up his opinion of the best place to settle there.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:08 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
The more the merrier arctic!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:40 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dlibson
The more the merrier arctic!
He is talkin bout heading to Oregon in the morning. I may not get a chance to pick his brain before he flies. He is all excited about a blind date he has been chatting with for a year or so. Ain't even seen a pic of her yet.

IDK. I didn't think he was that desperate yet.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Tell him to stop when he leaves the airport and pick up a bale of hay.She may be a cow.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
LOL, I guess he needs some good luck.

Allen, What do you know about the Pensacola area?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Pensacola is a large small city if that makes any sense.Has alot available as far as culture and still has some small town feel.I dont know alot about the job market but I suspect there is alot available. Quite a bit of industry. Some of old Florida still there. Also alot of history there. Was a southern stronghold in the Civil War. There are some nice places in Pcola.
Home Page | Historic Pensacola Village | Where Florida's History Begins!
Pensacola, FL - Forbes
Pensacola, Florida Employment

Old 05-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Any update?
That area got hammered last weekend with flooding and tornados..

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 06-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Endeavourniche
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best place to live Between Pensacola and Panama City is Destin. If you're looking for rents and house prices to be cheaper than in Destin you can go over the bridge to Fort Walton Beach. Still nice but less expensive. Crestview as was suggested is 40 miles from the nearest beach and is mostly rednecks and military. Not that there's anything wrong with that just letting you know. I don't know about you but I didn't move to Florida to be land locked. In any town from Pensacola to Panama City you are never more than 5 minutes from a beach. Google Destin and Fort Walton Beach. Some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Sand so white it looks like snow at dusk or dawn. Emerald green water. I don't know how old you are but Destin area is a vacation spot for people older than college age and for families. Spring breakers do come but not like in PC. Let me know what kind of job you're looking for and I'll let you know about availability. I've lived in Destin, FWB, Navarre, Gulf Breeze since 1993. I came from Washington DC. It was major culture shock but I'm acclimated and would never consider moving back north or to a big city ever again. I love shorts, flip flops, festivals for just about any reason or no reason at all and the laid back lifestyle. No one around here is in a hurry to do anything. I don't know if you're used to living in the big city or not. If so be prepared to slow down tremendously. When you first get here it will seem like everyone especially tourists are in your way when you're trying to drive somewhere .

Last edited by Endeavourniche; 06-10-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: syntax error
Old 06-10-2014, 07:24 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Thanks for the reply!! I'm in automotive now, but not locked in that. Been in a few industries and am open. Parts maybe as I'm getting tired of turning wrenches.

My wife is in insurance so that's pretty universal. What's good for jobs there?

Old 07-04-2014, 03:24 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dlibson
Thanks for the reply!! I'm in automotive now, but not locked in that. Been in a few industries and am open. Parts maybe as I'm getting tired of turning wrenches.

My wife is in insurance so that's pretty universal. What's good for jobs there?
Dave, are you getting tired of the cold? We could use some more Minnesota nice down here.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:14 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Originally Posted by raptor131
Dave, are you getting tired of the cold? We could use some more Minnesota nice down here.
Yeah, at some point here soon we are!