1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

F150 Light Diesel Conversion Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:26 AM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F150 Light Diesel Conversion Options

Let me first explain why this is here in the general Bullnose area... this is not an actual engine swap, or a write up or a how-to. Just a crazy thought.

There are plenty of Diesel options for F250/F350s. I've been thinking and doing a little researching and wondering... what about the F150 guys that don't want or need a heavier truck, but would like to have better fuel economy, decent power, and all the cool side effects of owning an odd-ball like the mid-80s Diesel Ranger guys get (is that... factory?).

I guess my quest is brainstorming here for the ultimate light truck Diesel swap. Good fuel economy, simple/minimal ignition/injection system, 351 or 5.4L-equivalent power to tow small trailers/light campers (and haul the occasional load of firewood), and be fairly quiet (not a 4BT). All this with minimal or cheap drive-train and suspension alterations (obviously some fabrication work will be necessary). Also, relatively easy to source parts for repair.

I would be nice to limit it to production American engine options, but seems for compact and lightweight packages that's not really possible (from my initial research). Or is it?

Imagine we have a test mule truck.... Say an '85 F150 standard cab, long bed, 4x4 with a fuel injected 302 and an AOD or 5 speed (not a stick guy, I forget what standards came in these). What do you guys think could work out well?

My initial idea was the possibility of a Mercedes OM603 or OM606 3.0L Turbo-diesel... A mid 90's OM603 puts out 150HP @ 4000 rpm/228 Ft-Lbs @ 2000 rpm, and a mid-late 90's OM603 puts out 174HP @ 4400 rpm/243 Ft-Lbs @ 1600 rpm. Obviously they would have to be "juiced up" a little bit to put them in the 351/5.4L torque ball park.

Thoughts?

Old 03-04-2014, 01:49 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
350 diesel, put it in there and be done. Nuff said.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 AM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
350 diesel, put it in there and be done. Nuff said.
You mean the Olds Diesel? Very interesting. I took a quick look and found...

Oldsmobile 350 Diesel (LQ9), 125 HP @ 3,600 RPM / 225 lb-ft. @ 1,800 RPM. TTY head bolts and mains should be replaced for reliability, a F/W separator added, pistons can be milled and a 6.5L turbo added (been done by at lest one owner)... and an adapter should be easy enough to bolt up to just about any transmission.

Can't find an engine weight for it, but something tells me it's around that of a 455.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
and be fairly quiet (not a 4BT)
You killed yourself right there. I have never heard a quiet diesel. You are with the rest of the masses, and it's why there are no light trucks in the USA with diesel engines. Most people think diesels are noisy, stinky, dirty engines that are hard to start in cold weather. Most of that is true. They are also very heavy engines. Diesels are very popular in Europe, I suppose because fuel is so high over there they were forced to use diesels, you can't beat their fuel efficiency. They even built a Chrysler minivans over there with small diesel engines in them. What a handy vehicle that must have been.

I heard awhile back that they are working on the weight issue. Exotic metals and fab techniques for the block, since the block has to be so strong for the diesel engine. But besides volkswagon, I don't know anyone else trying to sell anything over here with a diesel engine in a smaller vehicle. I believe even the Jeep Liberty diesel was a flop wasn't it?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The GM 5.7L diesel, based off the olds 350, was not much heavier than the gasser it was based on. Problem is, they weren't strong enough to hold up. The 6.2 that replaced it was a bit heavier, so it was used only in pickups, not cars like the 5.7. Both the 5.7 and 6.2 could be had in a 1/2 ton pickup, but they were underpowered dogs, yet still suffered from problems associated with the block not being stout enough for diesel use. A turbo helped solve the underpowered part, and made the weaker block an even bigger issue.....

I don't care about the clatter and noisy nature of diesel engines, which is why I am going with a 6BT (AKA 12V Cummins) in my F150. One of the best "small" diesel engines ever sold, just wrapped in a less desirable chassis. Particularly the first version, where my engine came from.

My boss has a 12V powered 05 F350, but he is still trying to get the right programming for the 5 speed auto. He also has a 6.0L sitting in the shop that he is talking about doing all the reliability mods to, and dropping into a mid 90's F150. Talk about an odd combo....... I figured he would be dropping his extra 12V into a lighter truck, rather than a 6.0L PSD, after having replaced his 1st 6.0L PSD with a 12V.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Forgot to mention, the MB diesel has been swapped into many 1/2 ton trucks. As you pointed out, they are down on power for such a large vehicle, but they do work.

Sadly, most any light weight diesel engine is not going to hold up over time. Especially with a turbo, which is something that a diesel really needs to work at it's best. Heck, even the Cummins engines that are considered as the "Holy grail" of truck engines, wouldn't be able to get out of their own way without a turbo. A diesel that is N/A is always lacking the power and efficency that it *could* achieve by the addition of a turbo.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Dodge has announced a light-duty diesel coming "early in 2014".

Turbo'd diesels can be fun. My wife's GLK puts out 369 ft-lbs from 1600 to 2400 R's and makes that little cute-ute scoot. And, gets 36 MPG on the highway to boot. (Boot-scooting ute. )

Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 AM
damarble
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A GM 6.2/6.5 is an OK option but it's best to leave them stock, and stock they are dogs. They were put in half ton trucks so the swap is technically legal.

The motor you need to be looking at it the Isuzu 4BD series. Same displacement but much quieter and more fuel efficient than a 4BT. Just be prepared to spend a grand on the motor and another $1500 on the transmission adapter.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:53 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Oh man, I stirred up quite a bit of fuss with the 350 diesel option. I'm surprised nobody asked me what I was smoking for even saying that piece of crap as an option lol.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:03 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Ford did make Ranger pick-ups with Diesel

Old 03-04-2014, 03:07 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
One for sale in Georgia right now on E-Bay

Old 03-04-2014, 04:46 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Moderator 'Ford Six' (Jared) is dropping a Mercedes diesel in his Ranger.
I don't think it's enough for a full size truck.

The Isuzu from a NPR box truck in front of a Dodge NV gearbox is probably your best bet.
The adapter is not that much.
http://www.4bdconversions.com/steps.htm

Old 03-04-2014, 04:55 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Franklin2
You killed yourself right there. I have never heard a quiet diesel. You are with the rest of the masses, and it's why there are no light trucks in the USA with diesel engines. Most people think diesels are noisy, stinky, dirty engines that are hard to start in cold weather. Most of that is true. They are also very heavy engines.
Hold on there. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough... Quiet is relative. The 4B Cummins is noisy, the Mercedes 6 cylinder is quiet... and my old 6.9L was in the middle (after it warmed up). The new Ford 6.7L might be a little too quiet...

My point is, I'm not saying that a Diesel is going to be super quiet... but not rattling your head on a long journey is a definite plus.

I intended this discussion for F150s... lighter duty but dependable trucks. I'm not trying to start a power war, simply examine the possibilities of a smaller Diesel swap that can get good fuel economy, plenty of power to get out of it's own way (like I said power the equivalent of a 351 or a 5.4L), not rattle the bolts and rivets out of the frame cross members, and good for occasional towing. OCCASIONAL towing. Not talking about towing a backhoe on a triple axle equipment trailer... but a smaller camper like a 19' Airstream or Grampa's fishing boat. Even trail-rigs can benefit, think Bronco (can wheel all day with a 30+ gallon tank full of fuel).

Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Oh man, I stirred up quite a bit of fuss with the 350 diesel option. I'm surprised nobody asked me what I was smoking for even saying that piece of crap as an option lol.
Absolutely no limitation on imagination. I've seen mentions of a Kubota engine swap and also 4 cylinder Ford tractor engine (New Holland?).

Originally Posted by damarble
The motor you need to be looking at it the Isuzu 4BD series. Same displacement but much quieter and more fuel efficient than a 4BT. Just be prepared to spend a grand on the motor and another $1500 on the transmission adapter.
Nice idea. I like where this is going... You are all raising good points.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:27 PM
damarble
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
The Isuzu from a NPR box truck in front of a Dodge NV gearbox is probably your best bet.
The adapter is not that much.
4BD Conversions - Isuzu 4BD Engine to an NV4500 Transmission Adapter Kits
But then you have a crappy NV transmission. Almaras Machine out of Oregon has Ford adapters to retain your stock transmission. They cost a little more but are well worth it.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Didn't he say he has an AOD?
How the hell do you expect that to hold behind a 4BD, and who makes a flexplate for the TC?

ZF's are crunchy compared to the New Venture, IMO. (and I have one!)
Both have comparable ratios.

Quick Reply: F150 Light Diesel Conversion Options