1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Secure, Locking, roll-back Tonneau?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Admonkey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Secure, Locking, roll-back Tonneau?

Looking to get a secure, locking, roll-back Tonneau cover for the 8' bed on my 2014 F250. Something nice and solid— not fabric— that I can use to secure my cargo but roll back for accessing the 5th Wheel (so no fiberglass pop-ups).

What are your experiences (security-wise) and what would you recommend (brand-wise)? Much, much less concerned about price than I am security and longevity (buy quality and buy it only once, being the motto).

Thanks in advance!

--AM

Old 03-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Evil Elf
New User
Check out Pace Edwards Direct - Pace Edwards Retractable Tonneau Covers on Sale. I had the full metal jackrabbit on my last truck and wished i kept it because now i need to get one again. they hold up very well but the drawback is you loose 3/4' of bed space towards the top.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 PM
McFarlandkm
Senior User
Rollbak by bak industries! They are money

Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Admonkey
New User
Thank you, Sirs!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:54 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have/had a pace edwards unit on my F250. I also have/had a Reese 16K slider hitch, which it cleared perfectly. I don't have a fifth wheel trailer so the hitch came out about 3 minutes after the truck got in my shop for the first time when I bought it. I had the tonneau on until last fall when I had to move a lot of stuff 2,000 miles in a hurry and replaced it with a full height topper. The pace edwards is bloody expensive (around $1400 locally), solid, quality (mine is 8 years old just like my truck), secure, but not water-tight.

Brian

Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
If you are wanting the BEST, my vote goes to Pace Edwards Bedlocker......spendy; yes. Nice....yes. Electric operation with remote control.
As a side note; I have seen brand X copies that the flexible joints have cracked in the cold weather.
I got my Bedlocker as part of the deal when I bought my truck just because when I was dealing on it, there was another truck in a neighboring town that was same as the one I was dealing on for same price, only has factory nav and moonroof and when I showed that to my local dealer, he asked what he needed to do to make the deal......so I told him.......Bedlocker!!!!! and he went for it.

Also I will add that I have the B&W companion hitch in the bed of my truck, and when I unhook my 5er, I can close the tonneau with the hitch still in the bed, no problem.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Firewiz
Senior User
Originally Posted by McFarlandkm
Rollbak by bak industries!
Almost look identical to me to the Pace Edwards. Will say I do have experience with the bak flip F1 only. Great quality.

I will say though, nothing is 100% water proof! There are always place water can find it's way in...especially if you go to a high pressure car wash!

There are 3-4 websites that you might think is the official backflip site, and to be honest, I'm not sure which one is!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM
brandonshaver
New User
My buddy just got a roll n lock about 4 months ago, he lives in Lafayette Louisiana and he's very impressed with it keeping rain out. He also travels to del rio Texas often and says it keeps that super fine south Texas dust off all his gear on the way to the hunting lease.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 AM
FORD-DNA
Senior User
Roll-X by Bak is great! Secure and solid.

I got mine for $729.00 at autoanything.com.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Firewiz
Senior User
I would of have loved to been able to use a tracrac g2 with my bak flip f1...still looking for ways to do it!!!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:27 AM
RedFish_n
Junior User
I have a Roll-n-lock on my 01 F250. I bought it about 13 years ago and it still functions. The only draw back is that you loose about 3/4' of the bed. I would think that shouldn't be a problem with a 8' bed.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 AM
tedshupe
New User
I had a Pace Edwards on an F150 for several years (not sure which model). I had two problems with it. First, dirt would get into the roll-up box and block the drain, then it would get cold and freeze. When the box if full of ice, you can not open the cover. You may not live where that is a problem. Second, when they install the cover they drill two holes in the bed then they drop a hose from the roll-up box drain thru that hole. Well the hole was directly over my bed supports and caused them to rust out after four or five years. Just FYI.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM
RedFish_n
Junior User
The Roll-n-Lock has the same issue with dirt clogging up the drain holes. The cover is easy to take of and clean out. I don't have the freezing issue due to being south of I-10

Old 03-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Admonkey
New User
Originally Posted by RedFish_n
The Roll-n-Lock has the same issue with dirt clogging up the drain holes. The cover is easy to take of and clean out. I don't have the freezing issue due to being south of I-10
Yeah, I'm between I-40 and I-20. Not much of a problem, but a little more so than you. (This year being more problematic than normal.)

My truck has the typical covered plug holes in the back wall of the bed which I imagine could be used for drainage without needing to drill. They open into the space between the cab and the bed.

Not sure about the electric PE Bedlocker. Seems to me, and I could be totally wrong, that it would be one more thing that would fail, and I'm not sure I want to carry around another dongle on my key ring. For reliability's sake, I'll probably save the bump in price and stick with a manually-operated one.

Anyone ever had someone try to break into one (of any brand)? I know there's no stopping a really determined jackhole from getting into anything they want, if they want it badly enough, but I'm just asking out of curiosity's sake.

This is all really good info. Thanks, everyone.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:47 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I have a Retrax that is 13 years old - works great. Takes up some bed space, and the sheet metal housing is not very stout. Very pleased with it, overall. Keeps the bed 99% dry, and a rubber mat in the bed takes care of the rest.

Quick Reply: Best Secure, Locking, roll-back Tonneau?