Sponsored by: Moser

Found a truck. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 PM
pryorstemmed
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a truck. Is it worth it?

I think I found the truck I want to buy. It's close to me here in ND and is a 78 F250 4x4. The owner says it's all original, but the PO he bought it from took the engine out (400) to rebuild it. The PO never rebuilt the engine, so the current owner bought the truck with the original engine and put it back in (says it gets 13mpg).

It has some paint issues (faded, surface rust) but no rust through or rot on any of the body panels, cab mounts or supports. The seat needs to be recovered and new door panels installed.

I will post pics as soon as I get them from him and onto my computer.

Here is some info on it.

133 Wheelbase (inches)
F266 F-250 4x4 Regular Pickup Truck 8400 Lb. GVW
RD4 Red Explorer Cloth/Vinyl Ranger Bench Seat /
Styleside
G Automatic Transmission
37A 3.54 Dana 60 Conventional Rear Axle / Adjustable
Steering Column
08400 Gross Vehicle Weight in Pounds
1978 Model Year

This vehicle was equipped with the following features:
- Gold/Orange Tape Stripe
- Sliding Rear Window
- Reduced Noise Exhaust System
- Adjustable Steering Column
- 8.75x16.5-10 Ply Black Sidewall Tires
- Mud & Snow Tread Tires
- Mud & Snow Spare Tire and Wheel
- Explorer Package C
- Camper Package
- Air Conditioner
- AM Radio w/Digital Clock
- Tinted Glass
- Security Lock Group
- Midship Fuel Tank w/Standard Tank
- Chrome Rear Step Bumper
- Ranger Package

Is it worth it? I was thinking of offering him around $2K? I like the truck, but have yet to see it in person (which I will do before buying). Can anyone clue me in on some of the options (security lock group, reduced noise exhaust) and what wheels came on it originally?

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:04 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
IIRC the security lock group means that the truck should have the interior hood lock release, locking glove box and locking fuel cap. As far as the wheels are concerned they should just be the standard steel wheel. The size was 16.5"x 6". Not sure but my guess with the noise reduction exhaust means that is was just the standard quietly muffled exhaust. Could be wrong on that though. Then adjustable column means it is a tilt steering wheel. Not sure if the tinted glass means just the typical glass as they all have a tint for uv protection, or if that means that the truck was issued with the factory shaded windshield. Meaning the windshield has a thin blue sun strip at the top edge. If the truck really is as good as it sounds I would definitely jump on it for the 2k. But is that what you are willing to pay, or is that what he is asking for it? In my area a truck like what you had described would start about $4500-$5000. And could go as high as 6-7k. Hope this helps. I'm sure some others will be along shortly to give their opinion. Is the chrome rear step bumper a factory unit or is it aftermarket?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:11 PM
pryorstemmed
Junior User
Originally Posted by paredneck33
IIRC the security lock group means that the truck should have the interior hood lock release, locking glove box and locking fuel cap. As far as the wheels are concerned they should just be the standard steel wheel. The size was 16.5"x 6". Not sure but my guess with the noise reduction exhaust means that is was just the standard quietly muffled exhaust. Could be wrong on that though. Then adjustable column means it is a tilt steering wheel. Not sure if the tinted glass means just the typical glass as they all have a tint for uv protection, or if that means that the truck was issued with the factory shaded windshield. Meaning the windshield has a thin blue sun strip at the top edge. If the truck really is as good as it sounds I would definitely jump on it for the 2k. But is that what you are willing to pay, or is that what he is asking for it? In my area a truck like what you had described would start about $4500-$5000. And could go as high as 6-7k. Hope this helps. I'm sure some others will be along shortly to give their opinion. Is the chrome rear step bumper a factory unit or is it aftermarket?
Thanks for all the info, paredneck33. The owner is asking around $3K.

I never knew about the security lock group. I will check for it when I see it. The only downside is that the original stereo was taken out and replaced with a CD deck. Darn it!

And the chrome rear step bumper is factory and in good condition. The front bumper has a ding in it, but that can be replaced.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 PM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
hello from another nd member.

hard to say without seeing with no rust threw anywhere good front cab mounts good running 2k-2.5k maybe more maybe less depending on condition.

i sold my f-100 recently mine was a 2wd long box 390 automatic %100 orrigional. it looked decent but did have a little minor rust overall pretty solid truck that wouldn't have taken much to make a super nice driver out of. ran and drove excellent. i posted it for 3500 and got quite a few tire kickers and a few real low balers. had more 1k - 1.5k offers than i could shake a stick at after 30 days i dropped it to 3k a bunch more tire kickers had some 2k offers for it that i turned down then ended up selling it to a Friend for 1500. my friend caught me on a day i was in a good mood and i knew it was going to a good home. i really felt the truck was well worth 2500 but apparently it was worth about 2k i had several offers at that price but not really anything more than that.

a 4wd in nd would be more valuable than a 2wd so price would be slightly higher. if the paint is bad might help you get a better deal on it.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Yeah I hate the aftermarket radio swaps as well. I really ticks me off when they cut the harness. But I will say that with older vehicles I'd rather buy them with and older worn out paint job. Especially if it's the original paint. Then you have a better idea of what you're going to deal with. It minimizes the chance of dealing with unexpected hack job repairs. As they generally don't last to long. But with a fresh paint job you may not know that a butcher repair has been done. As they often times look like nothing had been done. Then one bad winter or time spent in the hot summer sun and the repair begins to show it ugly face. Now you need to fix something that you didn't plan for.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 PM
pryorstemmed
Junior User
Howdy, 884x4broncoII. I was thinking the same price range. It has the original paint and there is surface rust on the box sides, but that can be remedied (and I might get it for a bit less because of it).

I want to do a slow restoration on it, starting with the engine. Then I would get the interior finished with fresno cloth from SMS, new door panels and carpet (It looks like it has the CB radio input under the dash, but forgot to ask if it has the CB in it). Finally I would get it repainted in the original color and have new explorer stripes made at a graphics shop.

paredneck33, it does have the original paint and that is a plus in my opinion. I have bought a couple trucks that had new paint, only to find out they just hid some rust. I won't be fooled again!!! haha Thanks again.

One more question. Is the Camper Package the Camper Special option? I see a (possible) badge on the drivers side fender below the marker light, but not on the passenger side in the pics (will post them soon). I can't tell for sure though. The owner says it is a Camper Special, just making sure.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Anytime, hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pryorstemmed
The only downside is that the original stereo was taken out and replaced with a CD deck. Darn !
I have the original AM radio from my 1979 that you can have.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 PM
pryorstemmed
Junior User
Originally Posted by paredneck33
Anytime, hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted.
Yes sir, Will do.

Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
I have the original AM radio from my 1979 that you can have.
That would be awesome, Jklnhyd. Let me know how much it would be to ship it to zip 59014. I appreciate it!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:25 PM
pryorstemmed
Junior User
Here are some pics (Hope they show up). It IS in need of restoration. But if it is as solid and runs as well as the owner says (great guy), I think it's too cool of a truck to pass on. I've worked a deal with the owner and in a couple weeks, I'm headed to get it (provided the weather cooperates!).

Old 02-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
59014? I was born and raised in 59105, lol. Let me know when you get the truck, i will drop it in one of those usps flat rate boxes

Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 PM
pryorstemmed
Junior User
59014? I was born and raised in 59105, lol. Let me know when you get the truck, i will drop it in one of those usps flat rate boxes
Broadview, huh? Nice. That's close to my home town. I will let you know, Jklnhyd. Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Billings....

Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 PM
pryorstemmed
Junior User
Billings....
Haha the Heights....I used to live there. I transposed the 1 and the 0, whoops!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 PM
twofifty
Senior User
Please keep us posted when you go to pick this one up! Looks to be a real solid start of a project. I wish I had that option list on my truck!

Are you looking to do a stock type restoration with mild upgrades if/when you get it home or what's the plan? With the explorer package and that color combo I think it would look really good brought back to stock.

Congrats on what looks like a good find!

-Jim

Quick Reply: Found a truck. Is it worth it?