1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another 51 Marmon Herrington

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:19 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Another 51 Marmon Herrington

First Off I need to just say that when these trucks start to find you and not you finding the trucks is when you know you've got it bad. Yes. I'm talking about Stu, He's got it real bad!
Truckdog received a phone call from the fellow who owned this truck and was wanting to find it a new home. Stu Graciously said he didn't have any more room in the barn and immediately called me to see if I would be interested in a 51 F-2 MH truck.
Of course I can't say no to a 51 so I make some calls and then waited for pictures (the wait seemed like eternity) then trying to schedule a trip to get it when the weather looked good and when I could get a friend to go with since we needed to get the MH plus a 51 F-2 parts truck as a package deal.

Finally 3 weeks in we went to Eastern Colorado yesterday (Sat) to get the truck. had a couple passes with blowing snow and whiteout conditions on I-80 where I couldn't hardly see the end of the hood on the truck let alone the road. so we decided to take I-70 home Saturday evening over Loveland pass. that was an adventure too. just as the road got steep there was a car rollover so I crawled passed on the left and my friend in the chevy couldn't get by because the 4x4 wouldn't engage and they hadn't plowed. finally after about an hour and ahalf they plowed and he somehow got passed the wreck in two wheel drive pulling the trailer with the MH a parts cab and a 48-50 front clip. once he caught up to me we finally got the 4 wheel drive engaged and made it over the pass.
Anyway. enough rambling from me and on to a couple pictures.

Thanks Stu. the truck is in really good shape. he already had all of the parts loaded into the parts truck so I hope everything is accounted for.
the 48-50 extra cab, front clip and hood were sitting on the farm and needed a new home so I volunteered to adopt them as well!

Attached Images           
Old 02-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I m glad you where able to get it done! I see that you did pull the Chevy on your trailer and rented the u haul trailer? The plan looks like it worked!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
You sir, are my hero!

Very cool, likes like a heck of a haul

Bobby

Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Niiiiicccceeee!!!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:52 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Man-oh-man Josh! I've been worried about you guys all weekend. I was watching road conditions on the map application and saw I-80 was closed across one of the passes for a time. Glad you came through it okay, but scary.

Josh explained it pretty well. I got a call from the seller but really wasn't needing to add to the fleet, or chance a trip to CO this time of year. Josh has one 51 F-3 M-H just about like this truck, and I've found that putting one back together can require some donor pieces. So Josh was the logical guy to rescue the truck. Plus there's the donor truck as part of the deal. So the package was worth going after. But doing it in the dead of winter is another matter. Glad you guys made it home safe. You might have had Somebody riding with you.

This is now one of four F-2 M-Hs I have record of. Stu

Old 02-23-2014, 09:52 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Amazing trip... My hat is off to you! Nothing like a winter retrieval, and it makes me feel much better about myself whe I see others so aflicted.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:11 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
It was supposed to be decent weather too, kinda just happened. Of course once we got over the rockies on the way home it was very nice. Sunny and low 50's through the high desert.

Eastern Colo was nice mid afternoon Saturday but the storm blew in as we were loading up.

couple of senic view points on return trip. the red fuel truck looked like a 48-50. the cab over looked like a bout a 54 GMC ?
smashed up good though.

Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You really have it bad!!! Makes me want to get an MH too. Maybe I should follow up with the guy in Oregon to see if he still has the 52 F1.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:07 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
If that F-1 is still available it's not a bad deal. Stu

Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just noticed a second bumper on top of the front bumper on that 52. Looks like it may be a rear bumper to a Panel if the four holes on the face of it are square.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:56 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice score Josh! I know first hand the feeling of the Cheby four wheel drive not working when you really need it. Just another reason why I wouldnt own one. We were at the base of the Big Horn mountains in a white out when it decided it didnt want to work. Give me lockouts and levers please! Glad you and your wingman made it in one piece, and hope you got all the bits and pieces. When I bought my F3 MH way back when it took about three loads to get it home. I probably left some stuff there, but when you dont know what your looking at how do you know. Im sure you turned out better than me. What shape is the frame and front axle in? Niether of my axles are fractured, but my f2 frame has more cracks and patches than a derby car.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Man, if I saw that convoy riding down the highway, I'd salute and give a thumbs up!

Tom

Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
You guys have the disease real bad & some very large ***** !!!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Great story and nice buy. Looks like you got a set of drum to wheel adapters too!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I just noticed a second bumper on top of the front bumper on that 52. Looks like it may be a rear bumper to a Panel if the four holes on the face of it are square.
Wow, you have great eyes! yes I think it does have square holes in it, I looked at it and wondered why, it looks to have the exact same shape as a front bumper? I'll get some better pics for you.

Originally Posted by thundersnow70
Nice score Josh! I know first hand the feeling of the Cheby four wheel drive not working when you really need it. Just another reason why I wouldnt own one. We were at the base of the Big Horn mountains in a white out when it decided it didnt want to work. Give me lockouts and levers please! Glad you and your wingman made it in one piece, and hope you got all the bits and pieces. When I bought my F3 MH way back when it took about three loads to get it home. I probably left some stuff there, but when you dont know what your looking at how do you know. Im sure you turned out better than me. What shape is the frame and front axle in? Niether of my axles are fractured, but my f2 frame has more cracks and patches than a derby car.
the back of the parts truck was loaded pretty full with all the parts and extra parts. I haven't gone through all the parts yet, by the time I got home and all the road salt washed off everything and trailers unloaded I was riding a fine line of being in the doghouse, especially since I had been gone 3 days prior for work, my kitchen duties and other obligations were catching up with me real fast!

Do you need/want an F-3 or F2 Chassis? I am considering (probably will buy this setup) but I don' think I'll need the frame. (the blue 51 F-3 2 below)

I think the problem with that Chevy 4x4 not engaging was just the solenoid or a bad connection. I just pushed on the wiring connection and it engaged> probably a dirty connection?

Originally Posted by pineconeford
Man, if I saw that convoy riding down the highway, I'd salute and give a thumbs up!

Tom
Thanks, Surprisingly I didn't see any thumbs up but did get a few blank stares! Some people will never understand...

Originally Posted by firstrider
You guys have the disease real bad & some very large ***** !!!
hahaha, or a bad disease and no sense at all!

Originally Posted by 38 coupe
Great story and nice buy. Looks like you got a set of drum to wheel adapters too!
Thanks, yep, has the rear adapters. everything looks real solid and clean so far.
Can't wait to get everything sorted out and see what I have.

And a Super Huge Thanks to Stu for "thinking of me"

One other thing I didn't mention is my 51 F3 has MH front axle number 139
and this 51 F-2 has front axle # of 136 So I think its possible maybe? that these two trucks could have been at Marmon Herrington getting converted at the same time or pretty much one right after another?? they are back together now.
Anyone know specifics about the MH plant and how many trucks they could have converted at a time, or maybe just one at a time (single file)

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Another 51 Marmon Herrington