Sponsored by:

SOLID AXLE SWAP INFO

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOLID AXLE SWAP INFO

As most of you know, my Bronco is in the garage ....on stands, waiting for a transmission. I decided to go ahead and do the headers and start the SAS. I "horse traded" for a great Dana 44 out of a 79 F150. (It got smashed by a tractor/trailer) Front end is good (not bent). Back of the truck.....not so much!! Blew the bed off the frame and smashed the rear end to the ground!! I went ahead and got the radius arms, radius arm brackets and upper coil mounts along with the 6" coil springs. Is there anything else I should grab off it before whats left of the truck goes to the crusher?? He's already gutted what was good out of the interior and body for his F250 he's putting together.

1). Can I use the radius arms from the 79 F150??

2). How much lift is recommended for a SAS. Most of the ones I've seen are way taller than what I want. 6" ok??? (I'm getting too crippled to be climbing up in big trucks anymore!!)

3). I know there is a drag link and brake lines I need.....any other advice???

This is going to be a slow process.....so I'm sure there are going to be lot more questions!!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the 6" will give you closer to 8"s of lift so i would consider getting a 4" lift coils. yes you can run the stock F150 arms. you can get a bolt on upper track bar mount from JamesDuff offroad which is necessary, they also sell the track bar for this application which i recommend unless your skilled with welding and such. FSB has great documentation regarding the SAS process from start to finish.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:26 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
the 6" will give you closer to 8"s of lift so i would consider getting a 4" lift coils. yes you can run the stock F150 arms. you can get a bolt on upper track bar mount from JamesDuff offroad which is necessary, they also sell the track bar for this application which i recommend unless your skilled with welding and such. FSB has great documentation regarding the SAS process from start to finish.
Sorry....I meant track bar....not drag link.

I was wondering if the 6" coils were going to be a little much.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
as for the rear, keep your current leaf pack and go with shackle flip. great way to gain lift and will work very well offroad.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:01 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Well, this is evolving into quite the project! I found myself with access to the drivetrain out of a 1997 F-350. (Did some more horse trading!) I asked some questions about coils vs. leaf springs, and the consensus is I would pretty much hate life driving a Bronco with one ton diesel leaf springs even with removing a leaf or two!
I enlisted the help of a friend down here that builds rock climbing buggies and Jeeps. He told me go ahead and run the 60 with the weld on C bushing wedges. That way I can still have the toughness of the one ton axles and keep the softer ride of the coil springs.

Anyway, that's the direction my Bronco is going.

Question....How the heck do I post some pics. I'd love to put up some pics as the build goes!

Old 03-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 03-19-2014, 10:38 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Thanks Encho!! I'll see if I can figure it out after watching the video!!

Ok.....my friend and I were sitting here drinking some coffee.....talking about a plan of attack for this Dana 60 swap, and he says "Oh...that year Dana 60 won't work with the C-bushing coil spring set up!"
I need a 78/79 Dana 60....RARE, HARD to find and EXPENSIVE!!!
I guess in about 80 or so, Ford moved the differential outward on the 60, and there is not enough room for the C-bushing mounts. Well, he just took the wind right out of my sails!!! (It seemed like SUCH a great plan!) I guess the wife will be happy also that I don't have to buy new tires and wheels!!

So, I figure I'm going to take the path of the least resistance! Back to the Dana 44. And I can make a little $$$ cuz I'm selling him the matching 60 and Sterling rear!!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
yes you can, it will just require the current leaf spring bads to be ground down. have you spent any time over on FSB looking at their extensive SAS section?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:32 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
I think I was going blind from reading all the info on doing a Dana 60/coil spring conversion!!! After reading some of those posts.....I'm a firm believer of "if there's a will, there's a way"!! If there's a "need", SOMEONE'S gonna build it!
Anyway, gonna go ahead and use the coil spring Dana 44 I already have. It's ready to go. Selling my friend the Dana 60/Sterling set up gives me the $$$ for the tires and wheels I want, (or most)! Planning on Mickey Thompson 35" Baja Claw Radials on 15x12 Welds. But that plan can change!!!
My son just bought a Nissan 350Z.....which means Dad has something else to work on!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
why such a wide wheel? 15x10 max unless your installing a 15+" wide tire. you could still use the sterling and do an 8 lug conversion to the D44.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:59 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
why such a wide wheel? 15x10 max unless your installing a 15+" wide tire. you could still use the sterling and do an 8 lug conversion to the D44.
I've ran them before (on a 1986 Blazer) and had good life out of them. I like the "fat" tire look too!

As I was reading some of the SAS tech forum, I did see a Bronco with the newer style Ford one ton axles in it. It came out of a 2005 and newer.

I've still gotta get my headers installed and gonna have to get exhaust made up after the tranny is installed. Trying to save for the tranny right now. The axle money I made may have to help with the tranny!!

Old 04-07-2014, 01:10 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Well I just got the wind knocked out of my sails this AM. The morning I decide to go get my Dana 44 and bring it home, (it was at a friends fabrication shop), he calls me and says we had a break in over the weekend.
Tools were stolen, steel off the racks, some shop equipment, some office equipment, 2 trailers under construction, trailer axles, hydraulic motors.......and my Dana 44. Figures!!!

The owner told me not to worry, he would cover it. I guess it's ok....he got hit a lot harder than I did. The only bad part is, that Dana 44 was already rebuilt....ready to go.

So, I'm looking for another Dana 44. (Maybe this will adjust my plans!)

Old 04-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
the wide wheels/tires will be hard on balljoints and bearings not to mention the entire steering system. I agree the look is awesome though. I will say a 13.50 wide tires looks awesome and wont do nearly the damage the wider 15's will. just something to consider.

Bummer about the 44, His insurance should reimburse allowing for another to be built i would think.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kemical would the larger tires be alright if the vehicle wasn't a DD? so you didn't see the turning friction of concrete/asphalt just dirt/sand/whatever you like to play in?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:48 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
the wide wheels/tires will be hard on balljoints and bearings not to mention the entire steering system. I agree the look is awesome though. I will say a 13.50 wide tires looks awesome and wont do nearly the damage the wider 15's will. just something to consider.

Bummer about the 44, His insurance should reimburse allowing for another to be built i would think.
Yea, the STINK of it all is the cops think they were scrappers. Cops said they are hitting all the steel fab shops in the area. $1000 hydraulic motors........and they will probably scrap them! Hope they catch them. The scrap yards are pretty friendly with law enforcement because of the theft problem down here.

The owner is being real cool about it though....he said if I find something before the insurance pays...he would take care of it. I may even get some side work from him fixing what they tore up.

Quick Reply: SOLID AXLE SWAP INFO