General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What to do with the new toy.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:28 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with the new toy.

Sup guyzzz and galzzz.

So I had this find (Who has money)and Throws it around pretty good.
Anyway - friend had bought a 383 stroker engine off of me some time ago ( I originally built the engine for my 77 Trans am) but had to sale the car before I finished the engine) SAD FING PANDA FACE lol (Family needed money)
Anyway I sold him the engine along with a grims trans for 4k.

He has had it for sometime now - A few weeks ago This friend brought me a 83 monte carlo ss ttop. It has had a frame off restore.All parts on the underside are new or rebuilt. All dents and dings are removed - Body lines are lined up perfect (except for the hood and front clip)They wear just thrown on.
The interior is is pretty much stripped except for the dash and gauge cluster.
Basicly I got a rolling shall. with some wires.
It is missing glass.
I do have the T-Tops Glass and Driver side glass but thats it...
He wanted me to drop the stroker engine in.... I charged him 300 to set the engine and trans in and get her moving. So a few hours before start up - My friend comes by and says stop wear you are change of plans.
He handed me the 300 and says - Find me a 60s-80s model truck that doesn't need anything but a motor and trans (Keep the price tag under 3000k). He said he would give me the money + fuel money to go get the truck I find.... Once I got the truck - all i gotta do is swap the engine into the truck and get her rolling. Instead of giving me cash he gave the the Monte Carlo.

He gave me the title today. So Now have have this car that - I got a million ideas what to do with it but I want to see other peoples opinions...

I thought about turning her in to a pro stock or factory stock. (LOVE MY DIRT RACING) I dont have big money to drop in a competitive racing engine but sure do miss racing. I would be happy just running a junker engine as long as im on the dirt. (May sound weird to you but I love my friday nights at the dirt track)

DO NOT GET ME CONFUSED FOR A CHEVY LOVE - I plum HATE CHEVY...
But something about this car says - its to good to end its life out on a dirt track...

I kinda wanna restore it. Iv got a scrap yard near by wear TONs AND TONS of these cars are. I would almost bet my last dollar I could get everything I need for under a 1000$ or come real close. Now I ant got a 1000$ to run out and do all this but I can do it a lil at a time (Pull a johnny cash and get it one peace at a time)

Late last night - I was having a hard time sleeping so I got up and took my sleeping meds - Now I dont know if this Idea came to me because of the meds or lack of sleep but Ill throw it out there....

I thought about restoring the car (Maybe not show room OMG restore) but a nice dependable clean restore and giving it away to somebody who can use it.... The more I thought about it - the more ideas popped into my head.
I dont know if any of yall know who - Eric The Car guy is but he is a guy you can google- He does alote of HOW TO VIDEOS and stuff like that. He has made a good name for himself.
Those shows on TLC are always doing something to help some one and turning it into a documentaries.

So I was thinking I could maybe do the same - doing short documentaries on the restore process of this car. (A mix between what it takes and How tos) Then when its all done (Flat out give it away) Not raffie it off or anything like that - but flait give it to some one who is in need. The problem with that is - you never know who is in need or just pitching you a story so they can get something for free....
The other problem is - it would take some time for just myself to get the parts and do the work. Im down with that tho.
I was also thinking - I could maybe get some scrap yards to go into this with me and see if maybe they would donate parts. (I know of at least one that might be down for this idea)
Dont get me wrong I could really use the money from salen it but I wanna do something more then just make a few fast dollars.
Anywho - I wanna do something with this car that hasn't I haven't done before.

Heck even the idea of turning it into a monster truck or drag car popped into my head.

Yall let me know what yall think...

Heres a video of the car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5TDo...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-19-2014, 05:59 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
i would put a 4.5 powerstroke in it.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:38 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you have the disposable income to finance a restoration (to a point of having a nice daily driver), I'd rid myself of the headache of the restoration.

As I get older, I want to UN-complicate my life as much as possible.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:00 AM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe see how much you can get for it like it sits.... let someone else put the 10g in it

Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It might be worth about $ 10K, restored, in top shape....If you can find a buyer. Not much left of it so "original" is out as far as marketing it goes.

Right now, IMPO, the T-Tops, engine and trans is the only thing of value.

Craigslist those items and tell the first buyer they have to haul off the car as part of the deal.

Iv got a scrap yard near by wear TONs AND TONS of these cars are.
There is a reason for that.

Good luck.