Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROOF RACK! That was a long 8 weeks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:54 PM
sandfarmer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking ROOF RACK! That was a long 8 weeks!

Finally got here yesterday! Ordered it from Gobi almost 8 weeks ago when I first bought the Ex. Very nice rack and the quality is unbelievable. Only snag I ran into was the lights I bought were a tad too big so I had to make a setback for them to lower them and get them behind the bar. Caused me not to be able to use the grills on the lights but I think I can get that fixed with a little different hardware. Everythings bolted up just have to take a night this week and get all the wiring done. PIAA sends super nice harnesses with their lights so it should work out really nice, plus the rack came with wires installed from the rear to the front which is a nice feature.

Before..

After..

Old 02-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
that looks sweet - nice job!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Texas slim
New User
Really nice looking. I recently purchased an Ex that already had a Surco rack and a spare tire carrier. I've been trying to figure out the best way to get the dern thing down when I need it. Looks like with you bumper set up you may have it made.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Somebody has to say it... Nice rack Been debating one but the rack I had on my Jeep drove me nuts with wind noise at freeway speeds. Any high speed runs with yours yet? Curious if it's going to be a Jeep repeat if I get one.

Also, your Ex fits in your garage... I hate you.

Also also, your garage is massive. See previous statement.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:24 PM
sandfarmer
Junior User
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Somebody has to say it... Nice rack Been debating one but the rack I had on my Jeep drove me nuts with wind noise at freeway speeds. Any high speed runs with yours yet? Curious if it's going to be a Jeep repeat if I get one.

Also, your Ex fits in your garage... I hate you.

Also also, your garage is massive. See previous statement.
I did take it down the interstate today with only 2 of the 4 lights on it, no bad things to report. I was nervous there would be a whistle but I can honestly say I couldn't tell any difference in noise. It sets back far enough to miss the worst of the airflow maybe? Granted the EX is no sleek ship so there are plenty of things to hear but the rack isn't one of them I'm happy to report!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Starting to look real mean.... in a good way.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:30 PM
sandfarmer
Junior User
Originally Posted by Texas slim
Really nice looking. I recently purchased an Ex that already had a Surco rack and a spare tire carrier. I've been trying to figure out the best way to get the dern thing down when I need it. Looks like with you bumper set up you may have it made.
That massive catwalk of a bumper has grown on me especially after the rack project, very nice to step up on! I was able to roll the tire up the back to get it up there...gently of course.

By the way this rack was the only one I could find that the dimensions even came close to what I thought would look right up there, it's built for the H2 Hummer. Came with a ladder that I'm not sure I'll be able to implement but plan on giving it a look anyway. Rack is 84" long, I'm happy with the size, looks right up there!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
I love that front bumper and nice rack. So does the spare tire sit on something. Looks like it just sits on the roof. And how much are those. I really like it

Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Oelfke
Junior User
How Much did it Cost? I have the original OEM removed and repainted the roof and was planning a custom build with some bigger riv nuts, but I like yours and would just mod it to be longer, just ball parking the prices at this stage. Looks good so far.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sandfarmer
...seriously...a forklift???

Old 02-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
To be honest it looks pretty terrible. I would take it off and throw it in the nearest dumpster to me or better yet the front yard of my house and buy a new one. Make sure to leave the lights and spare on it though so you can start fresh The only thing that I seriously don't like about it is your spare is so big it makes the rack look narrow, but after looking at it for more than a second it looks really good. Truck looks bad *** man! Also, pics of the ladder?

Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 PM
nelms
New User
has anyone ever seen a roof rack that matches the gold lower 2 tone? sorry to hijack just figured someone looking might know. (if not i may try a megawarrior with extention and paint it to match)

Old 02-19-2014, 08:02 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
I am loving the bumpers and the roof rack! I too have been looking at Gobi, but they are so dang expensive, I just can't pull that trigger. On a side note, I should also be getting bumpers (similar to yours) real soon! I can't hardly wait!

Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The rear bumper is very intetesting..
The roof rack looks really really nice too.
Thanks for sharing

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 PM
sandfarmer
Junior User
Originally Posted by Vince79vette
I love that front bumper and nice rack. So does the spare tire sit on something. Looks like it just sits on the roof. And how much are those. I really like it
Spare is on a hub that is on a 3/4" threaded rod so you can adjust the height and sits on bars underneath it, nothing touches the roof. You adjust it so that when you tighten the lug nuts the tire is squeezed to the bars a little so it's in tension and can't move.

It doesn't exactly match the lug pattern as it was designed for the Hummer wheel, but works fine.

Quick Reply: ROOF RACK! That was a long 8 weeks!