1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Starting my Coe build starting right is half the battle

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
Heres a 48 from a cool guy in Oregon.

Flathead Ford, t5 straight axle.
Heres mine

Scotts, Jays, Toms and Terrys are some the coolest f series coes out there.
Seth, when I first saw that Oregon truck I thought it was yours! Almost identical look. You can also include yourself in that last statement as well......your truck is very cool.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Would be interested in some pics of the fresh air system firewall forward if any of the trucks came w/ a FORD script fresh air heater or Magic Air heater . Thanks , Denny

Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
Im guessing its the coe in your avatar? I saw that a few times on craigslist and posted it here once. Ill be interested to see some better pictures of it!

Edit

Now that i actually read the thread, i see that its not.
It is a Coe one i bought and didnt build. Thats to keep me interested in the build and motivated to finish my next one exactly how i want it. Its great to have the reference to look at to see how it should be all toogether. Doesn't every man deserve more than 1 COE?

Last edited by pweng1; 02-20-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-20-2014, 11:26 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
The '53 through '56 trucks are just know as an "Effie." They are sooooo pretty that no one makes fun of them.

My neighbor told me that trucks so ugly its cute. 2 days later he asked where he could buy one.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Seen at Daytona a few yrs. ago .It had a short box on it .Looked quite nice .

Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2014, 12:05 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
calculating the cabs

Ok my plan of course is to put the cab on a 91 f250 chasis. I have measured the wheel base of the donor as 157" and from the Coe specs from front wheel to back of cab is 50" the bed is 57 " from front of bed to rear wheel center so that should give me 50" I will be cutting the cab but in will be going back on aft of second cab for the back window. What is the lenth of the 49 f7 cab? sounds like i have room for an opera window. All imput welcome

Old 02-20-2014, 04:51 PM
tinman52
Welder User

The doors are 36" long. So that gives you 14" of extra space.
Personally, I would look for another more COE friendly chassis with the correct wheelbase. Are you using the F250 chassis just because you have it? It could turn out to be a bigger headache than it's worth.
If you are set on using it, I would shorten the wheelbase. Having a large space between the front and back doors would make the cab look really long.
That is just my opinion of course.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:15 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks tinman Of course i was kidding about the opera window. I purposely bought the xlt lariat for this because of the low mileage motor, It had damage so price was right and wanted to keep a full 8 foot new style bed. I seen that they did this with the 158" wheelbase original frame. The look i was going for was sort of the grave digger type 4 wd high and noticable. When i build the 51 it will be low and sweet. I know i needed some kind of transition from 64" coe cab width to the 71" truck bed width but i really dont want to do a sleeper like others. I can shorten it the 14" but i think i will look at building a custom bed first

Old 02-20-2014, 07:52 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You asked for some advice... photo shop the current chassis and cabs and start putting them together. You might find adding 14" to the bed as a good option and a lot easier. but until you visualize it, its hard to plan it. JMO.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by frankcowan
You asked for some advice... photo shop the current chassis and cabs and start putting them together. You might find adding 14" to the bed as a good option and a lot easier. but until you visualize it, its hard to plan it. JMO.
Yes great idea I was needing the transition like dovetailing the bed to be narrower at the cab from wheel wells to look good with the cab and 57 " was a short maybe noticeable distance but 71 " I think I can hide the 3.5" on each side much better. I do think that the cab and bed need a balance so computer image would be great but that's beyond this old boys talent

Old 02-21-2014, 06:45 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
preparing the work area

Well i bought 3 of those big wheel carts like home depot has. But i have yet to put the cabs on them. Garage space is critical and everything must be mobile.I even need to install a steering box on the donor truck. I have a trailer im trying to keep most of the parts in for now. We still have snow on the ground here so the frames come home next month. Im not getting alot done between cold and having to work a regular job all the time, The nerve of them people "dont they know i trying to build a coe" come on retirement.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:15 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Having trouble finding 1991 f 250 dimensions for the planning and photoshop. I did find some older truck ones for 83 but i think they changed in 86. Does anyone have the pdf large diagram for 1991 showing all sides top and height.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:21 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
possible bed style for taking up the extra 13 inches

Ok if my balance between cab and bed gets too far off this bed may hide the extra 13 to 14 inches bed without being noticed

Old 02-23-2014, 11:30 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
planning the cab bed combo

Well after Tin man told me the cab may look too long got me really thinking. (He really knows alot and I value his opinion ) I really dont want to have a truck that is unbalanced between cab and bed. Many of the ones i seen with 12 ft beds and some with sleepers just dont have that appeal to me. This is such an enormous project for me to do from my home garage that I am trying to get it right from the begining hence the name of the thread. so im throwing some ideas out there for the sharks to bite on. Let me know what you gentlemen think, I am looking at the option of a low bed like in the pic, So heres the donor truck too My thought was 5" extra on cab 9 on bed.

Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2014, 01:19 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Great idea to have a plan BEFORE you start.......I tend to address problems as they arise, which is kinda backwards.

Since you are using a 4x4 chassis, it would be relatively simple (depending on if there is a minimal "hump" in the frame) to slide the entire rear suspension (and box) forward 14" on the frame. Then you could use the box as is and less fab work on the cab. Would save a ton of work.
Just an idea.

Quick Reply: Starting my Coe build starting right is half the battle